1. A bird shooter was asked how many birds he had in the bag. He replied that there were all sparrows but six, all pigeons but six, and all ducks but six. How many birds he had in the bag in all?
(a) 9 (b) 182. The 30 members of a club decided to play a badminton singles tournament. Every time a member loses a game he is out of the tournament. There are no ties. What is the minimum number of matches that must be played to determine the winner?
(a) 15 (b) 29
(c) 61 (d) None of these
3. What is the product of all the numbers in the dial of a telephone?
(a) 1,58,480 (b)1,59,450
(c) 1,59,480 (d) 0
4. In class, there are 18 boys who are over 160 cm tall. If these constitute three- fourths of the boys and the total number of boys is two-thirds of the total number of students in the class, what is the number of girls in the class?
(a) 6 (b) 12
(c) 18 (d) 24
5. If you write down all the numbers from 1 to 100, then how many times do you write 3?
(a) 11 (b) 18
(c) 20 (d) 21
6. Find the number which when added to itself 13 times, gives 112.
(a) 7 (b) 8
(c) 9 (d) 11
7. A monkey climbs 30 feet at the beginning of each hour and rests for a while when he slips back 20 feet before he again starts climbing in the beginning of the next hour. If he begins his ascent at 8:00 a.m., at what time will he first touch a flag at 120 feet from the ground?
(a) 4 p.m. (b) 5 p.m.
(c) 6 p.m. (d) None of these
8. A number consists of two digits whose sum is 11. If 27 is added to the number, then the digits change their places. What is the number?
(a) 47 (b)65
(c) 83 (d) 92
9. If 100 cats kill 100 mice in 100 days, then 4 cats would kill 4 mice in how many days?
(a) 1 days (b) 4 days
(c) 40 days (d) 100 days
10. Two bus tickets from city A to B and three tickets from city A to C cost Rs 77 but three tickets from city A to B and two tickets from city A to C cost Rs 73. What are the fares for cities B and C from A?
(a) Rs. 4, Rs 23 (b) Rs 13, Rs 17
(c) Rs 15, Rs. 14 (d) Rs 17, Rs. 13
1 a 2 b 3 d 4 b 5 c
6 b 7 c 8 a 9 d10 b
Explanations to selected questions
1. ‘There were all sparrows but ‘six’ means that six birds were not sparrows but only pigeons and ducks.
Similarly, number of sparrows + number of ducks = 6 and number of sparrows + number of pigeons = 6
This is possible when there are 3 sparrows, 3 pigeons and 3 ducks i.e. 9 birds in all.
2. Clearly, every member except one (i.e. the winner) must lose one game to decide the winner. Thus, minimum number of matches to be played = 30 – 1 = 29.
3. Since one of the numbers on the dial of a telephone is zero, so the product of all the numbers on it is 0.
5. Clearly, from 1 to 100 , there are ten numbers with 3 as the unit’s digit – 3,13,23,33,43,53,63,73,83,93; and ten number with 3 as the ten’s digit – 30,31,33,34,35,36,37,8,39.
So, required number = 10 + 10 = 20.