1. A damp squib (complete failure )
Example: The visit of our Foreign Minister to USA proved a damp squib on terrorist issue.
2. ABC ( very common knowledge ) :
Example: He doesn’t know ABC of Physics.
3. Alpha and Omega ( First and last letter of Greek alphabet, means beginning and end )
Example: The alpha and omega of British policy was to keep the Indians divided.
4. An eye wash ( a pretence)
Example: He does nothing without self interest, all his excuses are but on eye was.
5. Back and Call (at the service)
Example: Don’t worry I am at your back and call.
6. Between the cup and the lips ( On the point of achievement)
Example: Until I got the appointment letter in hand, I was not sure of the posting as there were many slips between the cup and the lips.
7. By fits and starts ( irregularly)
Example: Work done by fits and starts never completes in time.
8. Curtain lecture ( a reproof by wife to her husband)
Example : My younger brother never pays any attention to his wife’s curtain lecture.
9. Fire and brimstone ( fearful penalties )
Example: The USA has threatened Iraq with fire and brimstone if she refuses to follow the resolutions of UNO.
10. Gird up the loin ( to be ready) :
Example: We should gird up the loin to fight the poverty and menace of dowery.
11. Helter skelter ( here and there )
Example: On arrival of the police the strikers ran helter skelter.
12. Hush money ( a bribe )
Example : He managed to escape punishment by paying hush money.
13. Weal and Woe (prosperity and adversity )
Example: I will abide by you in all weal and woe.
14. To assume airs ( to pretend superiority )
Example: He is in the habit of assuming airs in the presence of his in laws.
15. Ever and anon ( now and then )
Example: She goes to temple ever and anon.