Directions (Q. 1–2): What approximate value should come in the place of question mark (?) in the following questions?
1. 4201 ÷ 59.998 × 29.88 = ? × 21.145
2. 959.98 × 780.01 ÷ 23.99 = ?
3. A man bought a mobile and a laptop for Rs. 78000. He sold the mobile at a gain of 25% and the laptop at a loss of 15%, thereby gaining 5% on the whole. Find the cost price of mobile.
(a) Rs. 39000
(b) Rs. 34000
(c) Rs. 30000
(d) Rs. 38000
(e) Rs. 32000
4. In a regular week, there are 6 working days and for each day the working hours are 8. A man gets Rs. 40 per hour for regular work and Rs. 45 per hour for overtime. If he earns Rs. 10,500 in 5 weeks, then how many hours does he work for?
5. A class has an equal number of boys and girls. Ten girls left the class to practice for music, leaving thrice as many boys as girls in the classroom. What was the total number of girls and boys present initially in the classroom?
6. Surbhi's science test consist of 85 questions from three sections- i.e. A, B and C. 10 questions from section A, 30 questions from section B and 45 question from section C. Although, she answered 70% of section A, 50% of section B and 60% of section C correctly. She did not pass the test because she got less than 60% of the total marks. How many more questions she would have to answer correctly to earn 60% of the marks which is passing grade?
7. A house owner wants to get his house painted. He is told that this would require 45 kg of paint. Allowing for 6.25% wastage and assuming that the paint is available in 4 kg tins, the number of tins required for painting the house?
8. One litre of water is evaporated from 8 litre solution containing 5% sugar. The percentage of sugar in the remaining solution is:
9. Two men together start a journey in the same direction. They travel 12 and 20 km/day respectively. After travelling for 8 days the man travelling at 12 km/day doubles his speed and both of them finish the distance in the same time. Find the number of days taken by them to reach the destination.
(a) 28 days
(b) 26 days
(c) 24 days
(d) 30 days
(e) 22 days
10. The total marks obtained by a student in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics together is 120 more than the marks obtained by him in Chemistry. What are the average marks obtained by him in physics and mathematics together?
(d) Cannot be determined
(e) None of the above