Latest Sports News- 17th to 23rd August 2020
- Former Indian Captain and the World Cup winner, Mahendra Singh Dhoni has announced his retirement from the International Cricket. He was the only captain to win all three major International Cricket Council (ICC) trophies i.e. the World Cup, the World Twenty20 and the Champions Trophy. He represented India in 350 ODI’s, 98 T20 Internationals (T20Is) and 90 test matches.
- Indian batsman Suresh Raina has announced his retirement from the International Cricket. He made his international debut against Sri Lanka in 2005 and represented India in 226 ODIs, 78 T20Is and 18 Tests in his cricketing career that spanned over 13 years.
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the Formula One Spanish Grand Prix 2020 held at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Spain. Max Verstappen (Red Bull–Netherlands) came second followed by Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) at third.
- “Fit India Youth Club” initiative has been launched by the Union Minister of Youth and Sports, Kiren Rijiju. Fit India Youth Club is an nation-wide initiative which has been launched to promote fitness among every citizen.
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) has launched the web platform “E-Pathshala” in partnership with the Sports Authority of India (SAI). It has been split into three parts:My Football Culture, My Skills and My Training.
- The title sponsorship rights of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 has been bagged by the fantasy gaming start-up “Dream 11“. The fantasy gaming start-up has bagged the title sponsorship rights for Rs 222 crore.
- England World Cup winner all-rounder, Laura Marsh has announced her retirement from all forms of cricket. She was a key member of the England Women’s team that won the 2017 World Cup.
- The governing body for the Olympic Movement in India, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and INOX Group has signed a sponsorship agreement to support Team India for Tokyo Olympics, which was rescheduled to be held from July 23 to August 8, 2021.
- Ronnie O’Sullivan defeated Kyren Wilson with a score of 18-8 to win the World Snooker Championship 2020. He has claimed his sixth World Championship title at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre.
Latest Sports News- 10th to 16th August 2020
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports will organise the “Fit India Freedom Run” from 15th August to 02nd October 2020 to mark the 74th Independence Day of India on August 15 to 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on October 2.
- Red Bull racer, Max Verstappen has won the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix.
- Indian Umpire, KN Ananthapadmanabhan has been included in ICC’s international panel of umpires.
Latest Sports News- 3rd to 9th August 2020
- Mercedes driver, Lewis Hamilton has won the Formula One British Grand Prix 2020 held at the Silverstone Circuit, United Kingdom.
- India has withdrawn from the women’s world team Squash championship scheduled in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from 15th to 20th December, due to lack of preparation, time and match-readiness of its players.
- The Indian Government has provisionally granted permission for the 13th edition of Indian Premier League’s (IPL’s) 2020 to be rescheduled in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) from September 19 to November 10, 2020, due to COVID-19 outbreak. BCCI has also decided to host a Women’s T20 Challenge to be held from November 1 to 10 in UAE.
- World Cup winner German footballer, Benedikt Howedes has retired from football. He was part of the 2014 world-cup winning Germany team.
- Former Real Madrid and Spain goalkeeper, Iker Casillas have retired from football. He made 725 appearances for Real during a 16-year career at the Bernabeu, winning three Champions League titles and five La Liga crowns.
Latest Sports News- July 2020 to 2nd August 2020
- The Youth Olympic Games in Dakar will be celebrated in 2026 after Senegal and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) “mutually agreed” to postpone the Games from 2022.
- Lewis Hamilton won the Formula-1 Hungarian Grand Prix 2020 at Hungaroring, Mogyoród, Hungary. Max Verstappen (Dutch-Red Bull) was second, followed by Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes- Finland) at the third spot. Hungarian Grand Prix 2020 was the third race of the 2020 Formula One World Championship.
- International Cricket Council’s (ICC’s) announced, the T20 Men’s World Cup, scheduled to be played in Australia in October-November 2020, has formally been postponed to 2022 due to COVID-19.
- Sri Lankan bowling allrounder, Sripali Weerakkody has announced her retirement from International Cricket with immediate effect. She made her international debut in 2006 and played 89 ODIs (One Day International) and 58 T20Is (Twenty20 International) for Sri Lanka.
- Haryana will host the 4th edition of the Khelo India Youth Gamesin 2021.
- Bangladeshi cricketer, Kazi Anik Islam has been handed a 2-year ban by the national cricket board for failing a dope test in 2018.
- Leicester City striker, Jamie Vardy has bagged the Premier Leagues Golden Boot football award after netting 23 goals across the 2019/20 season. Manchester City’s Brazilian keeper Ederson won the Golden Glove award.
- England cricketer, Stuart Broad has become 7th bowler to take 500 wickets in the International Test cricket.
- Radoslaw Wojtaszek of Poland, has finished on top in the rapid section of the 53rd Biel International Chess Festival in Switzerland. Indian Grandmaster, P Harikrishna finished second in the event.
- Rajat Bhatia has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. He started his career with Tamil Nadu in 1999-2000 and also played for Delhi Daredevils, Rajasthan Royals, Kolkata Knight Riders and Rising Pune Supergiants in the Indian Premier League
Latest Sports News- June 2020
- International Weightlifting Federation has cleared India’s lifter K Sanjita Chanu of anti-doping violation charges.
- Court of Arbitration for Sport has banned Former European high jump champion, Alexander Shustov for 4-years for the use or attempted use of a banned substance or method (doping).
- Athletics Integrity Unit has banned Gomathi Marimuthu for 4-years after she tested positive for banned substances.
- Oleksandr Gvozdyk, the former world light heavyweight boxing champion from Ukraine, has retired from the sport.
- India football team retained its 108th spot in the latest FIFA rankings. While Belgium ranked first and world champion France is in 2nd place and Brazil is at 3rd spot.
Latest Sports News- 1st June to 7th June 2020
- Khelo India e-Pathshala programme has been inaugurated by the Union Minister for Youth Affairs & Sports, Kiren Rijiju. He inaugurated the programme via a webinar which featured the participation of young archers, archery coaches as well as experts from across the nation. Khelo India e-Pathshala programme has been launched by the Sports Authority of India (SAI) in collaboration with National Sporting Federations (NSF).
- India has been awarded the hosting rights of the 2022 Women’s Asian Cup by the Asian Football Confederation. The tournament will held in India for the second time since 1979. The tournament has been expanded from the previous slots of eight teams to 12 teams.
Latest Sports News- 25th May to 31st May 2020
- R Sreelekha has become Kerala’s first woman IPS officer to reach the Director General of Police (DGP) post when she was promoted as the Director General, Fire and Rescue Department.
- Mizoram Cabinet has granted “industry” status to “sports” to invest more in sports in order to generate employment and increase value.
- Uttarakhand government has inaugurated the “Mukhyamantri Swarozgar Yojana” for returnee migrants in order to provide self-employment opportunities to youth and a boost to reverse migration, especially entrepreneurs returning to Uttarakhand
Latest Sports News- 18th May to 24th May 2020
- The International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Cricket Committee has recommended banning on the use of saliva to shine the ball. This committee is chaired by former India leg-spinner Anil Kumble. Apart from this, the committee also recommended increasing the use of DRS review per innings from two to three.
- The Bundesliga primary football league of Germany becomes the world’s first major sports event to resume after COVID-19 lockdown. The Bundesliga games began with empty stadium though the stadium had the capacity to hold more than 80,000 players. Bundesliga means “Federal League”.
- Two Indian Powerlifters namely Savita Kumari & Ankit Shishodia have been provisionally suspended by the National Anti Doping Agency (NADA). The powerlifters have been provisionally suspended for violating the anti-doping rules.
Latest Sports News– 4th May to 10th May 2020
- World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has banned Indian discus thrower Sandeep Kumari for 4 years after failing a drug test. National Dope Test Laboratory (NDTL) had failed to detect the banned substance “steroid” which was present in her blood sample.
- Swimming world governing body, Federation Internationale de Natation(FINA) rescheduled the 2021 Fukuoka aquatics world championships to May 2022 to avoid a clash with the postponed Tokyo Olympics.
- The Tennis Integrity Unit has banned the Egypt’s tennis player Youssef Hossam from professional tennis for life. He has been banned from the game following his conviction on multiple match fixing and associated corruption charges.
- The badminton World Championships 2020 has been postponed to November 2021. The tournament is traditionally held in August but will now take place from November 29 to December 5, 2021. World Championships will be held at the Carolina Marin Stadium in Huelva, Spain.
|GA Bag For SBI Clerk Mains 2020||List of Indian States and UTs in Terms of GDP||New Seven Wonders of the World||SBI Careers: SBI Recruitment 2020, Notification,|
Sports News- 27th April to 3rd May 2020
- FIFA has launched a campaign called “#WeWillWin”. Through this campaign FIFA tribute a special video to health workers and other professionals who ensure the society continues to function among COVID-19 pandemic.
- Deepak Agarwal has been banned by the ICC from all cricket for a period of 2 years after he accepted one charge of breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code.
- India lost the hosting rights of the men’s World boxing championship 2021 to Serbia.
- Indian middle-distance runner, Jhuma Khatun was banned for 4 years for using banned substances by the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) for the doping case from 2018.
- Pakistan Cricket Board has banned Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal from all forms of cricket for a period of three years. He has been charged with two breaches of anti-corruption codes of Pakistan Cricket Board.
- Former Pakistan women’s skipper Sana Mir announced her retirement from international cricket.
Sports News- 20th April to 26th April 2020
- Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc wins the Formula One Esports Chinese Virtual Grand Prix championship. Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, the actual F1 races are not being held. In its place, Formula 1 has announced new F1 Esports Virtual Grand Prix series.
- World Badminton Champion, P V Sindhu has been selected as one of the ambassadors for Badminton World Federation (BWF)’s “I am badminton” awareness campaign.
- The 11th edition of World Games which is to be held in Birmingham, Alabama, US (United States) has unveiled an updated logo and title after being delayed a year because of the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Alireza Firouzja beats World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen in the final of the Banter Blitz Cup 2020 and to claim the $14,000 prize.
Sports News- 13th April to 19th April 2020
- “Feifei” to be the mascot for Hangzhou 2022 Asian Para Games, China. 1st ‘fei’ of the mascot means the birds flying, implying inclusiveness, respect, and fraternity of human society while the 2nd ‘fei’ means the mental tenacity of the athletes with disabilities pursuing dreams and reaching beyond themselves.
- Indian Premier League (IPL) governing council of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) suspends IPL 2020 indefinitely due to Covid-19.
- World-famous cycle race tournament “Tour de France” has been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- National Sports Federation of India has announced that India will host the Asian Boxing Championships for men and women in November-December 2020.
|Current Affairs Quiz||Daily GK Updates||Current Affairs One-Liners||Coronavirus Updates|
Sports News- 6th April to 12th April 2020
- The late Kobe Bryant has been selected as a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He has been selected as the member of the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility.
- The Independent Member Federation Sanctions Panel (IMFSP) of the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has banned the Malaysia & Thailand weightlifters from competing in Tokyo Olympics 2020. IMSP has imposed the disciplinary sanctions on both the countries from participating in weightlifting events at the Tokyo Olympics for doping violations.
- FIFA, the world’s governing body for football announced that it took the decision to postpone the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup tournament due to the coronavirus pandemic. The FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup, which was scheduled to be played in India between November 2nd to 21st.
- England’s all-rounder Ben Stokes has been named as the leading cricketer in the world 2020 by Wisden. In Women’s category, Australia’s Ellyse Perry has been named the Wisden’s Leading Female Cricketer in the World. The other Five Cricketers of the Year by Wisden’s are Jofra Archer (England), Pat Cummins (Australia), Simon Harmer (South Africa), Marnus Labuschagne (Australia) and Ellyse Perry (Australia- female).
Sports News- 30th March to 5th April 2020
- The 2021 World Athletics Championships which was originally scheduled to held in Eugene, Oregon from August 6-15, 2021 has been shifted to 2022.
- The tennis Grand Slam tournament Wimbledon 2020 has been canceled for the first time since World War II due to coronavirus pandemic.
- The Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 have been postponed by one year and will be held from 23 July to 8 August, 2021.
- Indian shot-putter Navin Chikara was suspended for 4 years by World athletics body’s Athletics Integrity Unit for failing an out-of-competition dope test in 2018.
- Olympic Council of Asia has announced the official mascots of the 19th Asian Games to be held in Hangzhou in 2022. The 3 robots: Congcong, Lianlian and Chenchen which are collectively known as “The Smart Triplets” will be the official mascots of the 19th Asian Games.