1. World environment day being observed today across the globe. This year’s theme for World Environment Day is: Green Economy: Does it include you?
NOTE: – The host for World Environment Day 2012 is the Federative Republic of Brazil.
2. Centre today announced a series of measures, including extension of 2 per cent interest subsidy by 1 year, as part of a 7-point strategy to achieve 20 per cent increase in exports.
NOTE:-It has set a target of 360 billion US Dollars in the current fiscal.
3. Justice Madan Bhimarao Lokur appointed as the Supreme Court judge. Prior to his elevation he was serving as the Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court.
NOTE:- The total number of the apex court judge now is 26, which is still five short of the total strength of 31 judges.
4. Pakistan today successfully test-fired the indigenously developed Hatf-VII (Babur) cruise missile.
NOTE:- Hatf-VII is capable of carrying both nuclear and conventional warheads with a range of 700 km.
5. Planning Commission today finalized the annual outlay for Tamil Nadu for financial year 2012-13 at Rs. 28000 crore.
6. Former world no. 1 golfer Tiger Woods defeated Spencer Levin and Rory Sabbatini to win his 73rd PGA Tour title by two shots at the Memorial tournament.
7. Railways have increased the parcel and luggage rates by 25 per cent on all goods with immediate effect. With the action, railways aims to mop up 370 crore rupees as additional revenue in the current fiscal.
8. Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh has called a meeting tomorrow to review the status of infrastructure sector with an aim to push the slowing growth. The meeting will be attended by ministers of all infrastructure-related ministries.
NOTE:- Govt. has announced that one trillion US Dollars would be required in the infrastructure sector during the 12th Plan of which it expects 50 per cent from private sector.
9. Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, who is heading a Group of Ministers on Bhopal gas tragedy for a meeting in Bhopal.
10. According to the new set of guidelines approved by University Grants Commission (UGC), only global top 500 universities will be allowed to start their operation in India.
NOTE:-The new guidelines set the norms for the foreign universities aspiring to enter into agreement with Indian universities for offering education programmes in the country.
11. Reserve Bank of India today asked all the banks to immediately stop charging penalty on pre-payment of home loans taken on floating interest rates a step which will provide relief to borrowers.
12. A high-power ministerial panel Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today finalised broad modalities for auction of spectrum, including schedule and the quantum of airwaves to be sold, but it was not immediately clear if it decided on the pricing of spectrum.