Directions (Q.1-5): In each one of the following sentences, there are two blank spaces. Below each sentence, there are five pairs of words denoted by numbers (a), (b), (c), (d) and (e). Find out which pair of words can be filled up in the blanks and make the sentence meaningfully complete.
1. The Indian ______________ have discovered a way to boost the yield per acre of different ______________ of wheat.
(a) Agronomists; varieties
(b) Economists, kinds
(c) Anthropologists, sorts
(d) Phrenologists, layers
(e) Agro analysts, vistas
2. The admiration some leaders earn is ______________ by their ______________ instinct for hitting the front lines in newspapers.
(a) Developed, uncanny
(b) Generated, feeble
(c) Engendered, unerring
(d) Evolved, aggressive
(e) Conceded; provocative
3. Diplomacy is the best means of ______________ peace which a society of sovereign nations has to offer, but especially under the conditions of ______________ world politics and of contemporary war, it is not good enough.
(a) Maintaining, today’s
(b) Presenting, contemporary
(c) Retaining, present
(d) Promoting, modern
(e) Evolving, self-centred
4. Nothing is so ______________ to a nation as an extreme of self-partiality, and the total want of ______________ of what others will naturally hope or fear.
(a) Repugnant, sense
(b) Delusionary, methodly
(c) Fatal, consideration
(d) Unethical, discretion
(e) Detrimental, concern
5. It was through the Second World War that Russia ______________ herself increased ______________ in power and wealth and prestige.
(a) Saw, abundantly
(b) Noticed, gullibly
(c) Witnessed, prodigiously
(d) ethical, discretional
(e) Determined, concerned
Directions (Q.6-10): Rearrange the following six sentences (1), (2), (3), (4), (5) and (6) in a proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph; then answer the questions given below them.
(1)It is no wonder that a majority of these excluded and low-achievers come from the most deprived sections of society.
(2) They are precisely those who are supposed to be empowered through education.
(3)With heightened political consciousness about the plight of these to-be-empowered people, never in the history of India has the demand for inclusive education been as fervent as today.
(4)They either never enroll or they drop out of schools at different stages during these eight years.
(5)Of the nearly 200 million children in the age group between 6 and 14 years, more than half
(6) Of those who do complete eight years of schooling, the achievement levels of a large percentage, in language and mathematics, is unacceptably low.
6. Which of the following should be the THIRD sentence after rearrangement?
7. Which of the following should be the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?
8. Which of the following should be SECOND sentence after rearrangement?
9. Which of the following should be the FOURTH sentence after rearrangement?
10. Which of the following should be the FIFTH sentence after rearrangement?