| Updated On January 6th, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Many banks are announcing Joining Schedule these days and all those who still haven’t, will announce in next few weeks (hopefully). Well, the studies will not just end here. There is still a long way to go, ladders to climb, stars to touch.
Being young and wild, one should try to achieve as much success as he/she can. Later on, life starts taking toll on you – marriage, family, in-laws, children. Priorities changes. So, its wise to keep going as long as you can.
Thereby, this post is for all who want to AIM HIGH, FLY HIGH.
This post is for the following people –
- Working as PO/ Clerk
- Selected as PO/Clerk
- Aspiring Candidates
Well, technically, for everybody on BA because BA is all about Banking!!
Note – All those who are here for “stupid chats”, please make way 😛
Let’s start from the basic!!!
What is IIBF?
Indian Institute of Banking & Finance (IIBF) is a body of banks and financial institutions and professionals in banking and finance industry in India, was established on 30th April, 1928, at the initiative of few eminent bankers, businessmen and industrialists of India.
The mission of the Institute is to develop professionally qualified and competent bankers and finance professionals primarily through a process of education, training, examination, consultancy / counselling and continuing professional development programmes.
Objective of IIBF :
- To facilitate study of theory and practice of banking and finance.
- To test and certify attainment of competence in the profession of banking and finance.
- To collect, analyze and provide information needed by professionals in banking and finance.
- To promote continuous professional development.
- To promote and undertake research relating to operations, products, instruments, processes etc. in banking and finance and to encourage innovation and creativity among finance professionals so that they could face competition and succeed.
The Institute conducts following Examinations :
A. For Members
- Associate Examination : JAIIB / CAIIB
- Certificate Examination in Banking Oriented Paper in Hindi (BOPH)
B. For Non – Members :
- Diploma in Banking & Finance (DBF)
- Certificate Examination for DSA / DMA
C. For Members / Non – Members :
- Diploma in Treasury, Investment and Risk Management (DTIRM)
- Diploma in Banking Technology (DBT)
- Diploma in International Banking and Finance (DIBF)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Advising (PG
Among all the courses offered by IIBF mentioned above, our area of Interest is JAIIB/CAIIB
What is JAIIB?
- Acronym for Junior Associate of the Indian Institute of Bankers.
- This is an associate examination held by the Indian Institute of Banking and Finance (IIBF).
- The JAIIB exam is only applicable to the ordinary members of the Institute.
- The aspiring candidates must have completed 10th examination or its equivalent from a recognized institute.
What is CAIIB?
- Acronym for Certified Association of the Indian Institute of Bankers
- CAIIB aims at providing advanced knowledge necessary for better decision making covering risk, financial and general bank management.
- The CAIIB exam is only applicable to the ordinary members of the Institute.
- A candidate applying for CAIIB must have completed JAIIB of the Associate examination under old syllabus.
- After clearing these exams you will be entitled to two increments.
- Besides increments they help in getting good dept allocation such as Forex,Treasury,Corporate loans etc.
- Helps in getting promotions.
- Can get good position and higher salary in private sector bank.
- The candidates can download the application form from the official website of IIBF. They can also collect the form from the concerned Zonal Offices of the Institute. The candidates are also required to remit the exam fee along with the completed application in the respective Zonal Office.
What is the syllabus?
As mentioned on the IIBF website, “Keeping in view the professional nature of examinations, all matters falling within the realm of the subject concerned will have to be studied by the candidate as questions can be asked on all relevant matters under the subject. Candidates appearing for the Associate Examination should particularly prepare themselves for answering questions that may be asked on the latest developments taking place under the various subjects of the said examination although those topics may not have been specifically included in the syllabus. The Institute also reserves to itself the right to vary the syllabus / rules /fee structure from time to time. Any alterations made will be notified from time to time.”
Well, its a serious post, so I have to keep the things little technical 😛
What are the subjects?
1. Principles of Banking
2. Accounting and Finance for Bankers
3. Legal aspects of Banking
1. Risk Management
2. Financial Management
3. General Bank Management
What is the pattern of the exam?
Questions for the JAIIB / CAIIB Examination will be asked calling for :
- Knowledge testing
- Conceptual grasp
- Analytical / logical exposition
- Problem solving
- Case analysis
- Further, questions based on current developments in banking and finance may be asked.
- Candidates are advised to refer to financial news papers/periodicals including ‘‘IIB VISION’’ and ‘‘Bank Quest’’ published by the Institute.
1. The JAIIB Examination will be of fully objective type (multiple choice) questions. Case study based questions may be asked.
2. About 120 questions per subject will be asked for the duration of two hours. The Institute may, however, vary the number of questions to be asked for a subject.
3. Each question paper will carry 100 marks.
The CAIIB Examination will be of fully objective type (multiple choice) questions. Case study based questions may be asked.
2. About 90 questions per subject will be asked for the duration of two hours. The Institute may, however, vary the number of questions to be asked for a subject.
3. Each question paper will carry 100 marks
When these exams take place?
JAIIB/CAIIB examination will be conducted normally twice a year in the months of May / June and November / December.
- Examination will be held under online and offline mode.
- Online examination will be held where necessary infrastructure facilities are available on three consecutive Sundays (one paper on each Sunday).
- Examination under offline mode will be conducted on two consecutive Sundays (two papers on first Sunday and one paper on second Sunday).
- Examination will be conducted under offline mode only on two consecutive Sundays (two papers on first Sunday and one paper on second Sunday).
What is the time limit to clear the exam?
- Candidates will be required to pass the examination (JAIIB/CAIIB) within a time limit of 2 years (i.e. 4 consecutive attempts).
- Candidates not able to pass JAIIB/CAIIB Examination within stipulated time period of two years are required to re-enroll themselves afresh by submitting a fresh Examination Application Form.
Is this exam free?
No, nothing is free in this world, my friend 😛
- JAIIB – Rs. 2,697
- CAIIB – Rs. 3,034
What is the Passing Criteria?
Candidate securing atleast 45 marks in each subject with an aggregate of 50% marks in all subjects of JAIIB / CAIIB in a single attempt would also be declared as having completed JAIIB/ CAIIB Examination as the case may be. This benefit will not be available to canditates availing the facility of credit transfer as they would not be passing the examination in single attempt.
How should I study?
- The Institute has developed a courseware to cover the syllabus. Candidates are advised to make full use of the courseware and also the updates put on the IIBF website from time to time.
- However, as banking and finance fields are dynamic, rules and regulations witness rapid changes. Hence, candidates should keep themselves updated on latest developments by going through Master Circulars issued by RBI, visiting the websites of organizations like RBI, SEBI, BIS etc.
That’s it. It’s everything that you guys need to know about JAIIB/CAIIB. Well, there are few things more, for which we are providing few officials here.
Click here to View the Official Notifications –
Work Hard, Snack Often!!