Directions (1 – 5): Rearrange the following five sentences A, B, C, D and E in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph; then answer the questions given below them.
A. The policy makers in most of the developing economies recognize this importance and have been implementing a host of programmes and measures to achieve rural development objectives.
B. While some of these countries have achieved impressive results from those programmes and measures, others have failed to make a significant dent in the problem of persistent rural under development.
C. The socio– economic disparities between rural and urban areas are widening and creating tremendous pressure on the social and economic fabric of many such developing economies.
D. These factors, among many others, tend to highlight the importance of rural development
E. Although millions of rural people have escaped poverty as a result of rural development in many Asian countries, a large majority of rural people continue to suffer from persistent poverty.
1. Which of the following should be the THIRD sentence after rearrangement?
2. Which of the following should be the LAST (FIFTH) sentence after rearrangement?
3. Which of the following should be the FOURTH sentence after rearrangement?
4. Which of the following should be the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?
5. Which of the following should be the SECOND sentence after rearrangement?
Directions (6 – 10): Each question below has two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank which best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
6. Forest department officials said that when the elephants were made to …………… from their trucks they went straight to the spot where they had been ………….. during the camp.
(a) jump, killed
(b) alight, tied
(c) enter, hurt
(d) step, played
(e) exit, enjoyed
7. Excise officials seized pouches of whisky …………… a bus travelling …………….. Maharashtra.
(a) from, to
(b) in, for
(c) for, towards
(d) inside, on
(e) through, till
8. Organisations ………… for the victims ………………. the inhuman and unjust attitude of the government.
(a) fighting, applauded
(b) lobbying, supported
(c) working condemned
(d) stand, opposed
(e) trying, spoke
9. A collision between two buses ………… six people dead, ……………. the driver of one the buses.
(a) made, also
(b) left, including
(c) caused, combined
(d) resulted, except
(e) got, surpassing
10. The court ……………. revenue authorities and PCB officials to ……………. teams and visit pharma units
(a) directed, form
(b) announced, arrange
(c) commanded display
(d) ruled, make
(e) told, carve