1. Syechelles(10-11 Mar)
President : James Michel
Capital : Victoria
Currency : Seychellois Rupee
About the Country
About the Country
Highlights of The Visit
- 1st Indian PM to visit the country after 33 years.
- On the morning of March 11th, Shri Narendra Modi was given a Ceremonial Reception after which he visited the State House and signed the Visitors Book. He wrote that India not only considers Seychelles as a neighbour but as a strategic partner too.
- Welcoming the launch of direct air services to India by Air Seychelles last December, the PM hoped that ties between India and Seychelles would be deepened further marked by a spirit of respect, equality, enormous goodwill and warmth.
- He also unveiled the Plaque and Operationalisation of Radar for the CSRS India-Seychelles Cooperation Project in Sychelles.
- Before concluding his Seychelles visit, the PM addressed a massive gathering at a civic reception. Shri Modi touched upon areas like mitigating climate change, renewable energy and Make in India.
2. Mauritius (12th Mar)
PM : Anerood Juganauth
President : Rajkeswur Purryag
Capital : Port Louis
Highlights of The Visit :
- Expressing his gratefulness to be the Chief Guest of National Day of Mauritius on March 12th, Shri Narendra Modi said India and Mauritius have always stood in solidarity and support for each other.
- He also termed the agreement on the development of Agalega Island as a major stride in India-Mauritius cooperation in infrastructure sector.
- On March 12th, the Prime Minister began his day by visiting the Ganga Talao in Mauritius. As soon as Shri Modi visited there, he recalled the holy River Ganga that flows through Varanasi.
- He also praised Mauritius for enriching Hindi literature.
- He also expressed his delight to have got the chance to address their National Assembly on the very same day as the Prime Minister of India.
- Talking about the first cyber city construction supported by Former PM, Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 2003, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced for supporting a second such city in Mauritius.
- Prime Minister Narenda Modi attended the programme to mark the commissioning of the Barracuda, a ship in the service of the National Coast Guard of Mauritius.
- Shri Narendra Modi also paid homage to the valiant Aapravasis for their human spirit and also described the Aapravsi Ghat as signifying the enduring links between India and Mauritius.
- A civic reception was organised in Shri Narendra Modi’s honour. A large number of people drew together to watch and listen to the Indian Prime Minister. There were chants of “Modi Modi” soon after the PM arrived. Shri Modi himself was surprised to see such a huge gathering.
- In the evening of March 12th, Shri Narendra Modi joined the National Day celebrations in Mauritius as the guest of honour.
MOU’s/Agreements signed between India-Mauritius
- Memorandum of Understanding between India and Republic of Mauritius in the field of Ocean Economy.
- Programme for Cultural Cooperation between the Republic of India and the Republic of Mauritius for the year 2015-18.
- Protocol between the Department of Agriculture and Cooperation, Ministry of Agriculture of Republic of India and the Ministry of Agro-Industry and Food Security of Republic of Mauritius for the importation of fresh mango from India.
- Memorandum of Understanding for the Improvement in Sea and Air Transportation Facilities at Agalega Island of Mauritius.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Traditional System of Medicine and Homeopathy.
3. Sri Lanka (13-14 Mar)
PM : Ranil Wickremesinghe
President : Maithripala Sirisena
Capital : Colombo
- It is the first standalone bilateral visit to Sri Lanka by an Indian Prime Minister since 1987.
- Lanka IOC and Ceylon Petroleum Corporation have agreed to jointly develop the Upper Tank Farm of the China Bay Installation in Trincomalee on mutually agreed terms.
- Early commencement of work on the ground in the Sampur Coal Power Project. This landmark project would meet Sri Lanka`s energy needs.
- The facility of “Tourist Visa on Arrival – Electronic Travel Authorization” Scheme to Sri Lankan citizens from the Sinhala and Tamil New Year on 14 April 2015.
- Air India will soon start direct flights between New Delhi and Colombo.
- Cooperation in developing a Ramayana Trail in Sri Lanka and a Buddhist Circuit in India.
- Organization a Festival of India in Sri Lanka later this year. Sri Lanka is where Buddhism has truly flourished. We will be organizing an exhibition showcasing our Buddhist heritage as part of this festival.
- The Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation in youth affairs is an important long term investment in our relationship.
- A fresh Line of Credit of up to US$ 318 million for the railways sector. This will be used to procure rolling stock, and to restore and upgrade existing railway track.
- Assistance for the construction of the Rabindranath Tagore auditorium at Ruhuna University in Matara.
- The Reserve Bank of India and the Central Bank of Sri Lanka have agreed to enter into a Currency Swap Agreement of US$ 1.5 billion. This will help keep the Sri Lankan rupee stable.
- Modi became the first PM to visit Jaffna
Thank You Pradosh Sar 🙂