DAILY GK UPDATES: 7th MARCH, 2012
- Best feature Film – Deool (Marathi Film) and Byari (Kannad Film)
- Best Actor- Girish Kulkarni (Marathi Film Deool)
- Best Actress – Vidya Balan (Hindi Film The Dirty Picture)
- Best Direction – Gurvinder Singh (Punjabi Film Anhe Ghorey Da Daan)
- Best Popular film- Azhagarsamiyin Kuthirai (Tamil Film)
- Best Hindi film- I Am
- Best Supporting Actor – Appu Kutty (Tamil Film Azhagarsamiyin Kuthirai)
- Best Supporting Actress – Leishangthem Tonthoingambi Devi (Manipuri Film Phijigee Mani)
- Best Children’s Film- Chillar Party
- Best Music Direction- Neel Dutt ( Bengali Film Ranjana Ami Ar Ashbona)
- Best Singer (Female)- Rupa Ganguly
- Best Singer (Male)- Anand Bhate
- Best Lyrics- Amitabh Bhattacharya (I Am)
- Best Special Effects- Ra.One
DAILY GK UPDATES: 6th MARCH 2012
Congress got a shock in Punjab with the ruling SAD-BJP combine well on the way to retaining power. Ruling Akali Dal-BJP combine is ahead in 65 seats and Congress leading in 49 seats while others in 3 seats.
The Congress is heading towards securing a simple majority in the 60-member Manipur Assembly, and may not require the support of any ally to form the third consecutive government in the northeastern state. As per results available, the ruling party has won in 23 constituencies while it is leading in 13 others.
Uttarakhand is locked in a see-saw battle between the ruling BJP and Congress. Latest trends show BJP leading in 32 and Congress in 31 while BSP in 3 and others in 4 seats in Uttarakhand.
In a setback for the Congress party, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is heading towards a majority in Goa where it is leading in 14 seats in the 40-member House. According to latest trends, the BJP’s results/leads are average at 16 seats.
2. An Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) today decided to allocate 700 Mhz spectrum for offering fourth-generation or 4G telecom services. Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal told reporters in New Delhi after the meeting that this particular band is considered to be very efficient and could fetch the government revenues more than it got through auctioning of 3G spectrum last year.
3. The Union Finance Minister Mr. Pranab Mukherjee today said that setting up of Infrastructure Debt Fund (IDF) through public private partnership would meet the long term need of the infrastructure sector funding. Mr. Mukherjee said this after presiding over the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding in New Delhi this evening between the ICICI Bank, Bank of Baroda, CITI Bank and Life Insurance Corporation of India to Set-Up India’s First Infrastructure Debt Fund.
4. The country is estimated to produce 26 million tonnes of sugar in the 2011-12 marketing year, as against 24.2 million tonnes last year. Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar today said this while talking to reporters on the sidelines of the Kharif conference in New Delhi. In view of the surplus stocks of the sweetener, Mr. Pawar said there is scope for further exports of one million tonnes of sugar. The government has so far permitted the export of 2 million tonnes of sugar for the current 2011-12 marketing year ending September.
5. In a move to step up financial inclusion, the Reserve Bank of India -RBI has permitted all business correspondents – or representative of any one particular bank to conduct business for other banks as well. In its Circular, the RBI has said that it has allowed interoperability system at the retail outlets which is the point of customer interface.
NOTE:- Business correspondents are bank representatives who facilitate rural people in opening bank accounts and transactions. The RBI said banks were also advised to strictly adhere to norms on managing risks and code of conduct during outsourcing of financial services, adding banks will be fully responsible for the actions of the business correspondents or sub agents.
6. Addressing the inaugural function of the Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the Afro-Asian Rural Development Organisation in New Delhi, Dr Manmohan Singh called upon the scientists and experts to reflect on suitable technology to tackle the issue. He said that the process of globalization and growing inter-dependence among nations pose fundamental new challenges to our economic sustenance.
7. The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights, NCPCR unveiled guidelines to eliminate physical punishment and to discipline schools. The NCPCR survey revealed that the use of physical punishments is rampant in Indian schools and cane beating by teachers a common practice. Even children in the age group of 3 to five years are not spared.
The guidelines also suggest the formation of Corporal Punishment Monitoring Cells, CPMCs by schools. The CPMCs will not only hear grievances related to corporal punishment, child sexual abuse and mental harassment but also forward recommendations to district level authorities within 48 hours of the occurrence.
8. An empowered group of ministers headed by the finance minister Pranab Mukherjee said on Monday said that government will allocate airwaves in the 700 MHz band for offering fourth-generation or 4G telecom services.
9. In a move that could bring a relief to the loss-making state owned telco, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended a subsidy of Rs 600 crore to BSNL. The subsidy would help BSNL in maintaining rural wireline connections installed before April 1, 2002.
10. The recommendations of the Woolf report on the independent governance review of the ICC will be discussed when the governing body’s Chief Executives’ Committee will meet at Dubai on Tuesday. The India cricket Board had rejected the recommendations but the Pakistan and Australian boards were in favor of a discussion. The report calls for sweeping changes in the administration of cricket and the functioning of the ICC.
11. UP, Punjab, Uttarakhand and Goa recorded the highest ever voting percentage in their history in the recently concluded Assembly elections. Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Goa and Uttarakhand registered unprecedented polling percentages. Uttar Pradesh recorded around 60 percent in the seven-phased election as against 46.07 percent voting in the last assembly elections in 2007. So far, the highest voting percentage was 57.13 percent in 1993.
12. Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) appointed Dav Whatmore as its national team coach. Whatmore would remain on the position for next two years. Englishman Julian Fountain was slated as the fielding coach of the team. Asia Cup tournament, to be held in the later part of March 2012, would be the first assignment of both the new coaches.
13. South Africa made a 3-0 clean sweep against New Zealand with a five-wicket victory in the third and final one-day international in Auckland.
14. According to UN report more than 2 billion people have gained access to better drinking water sources, such as piped supplies and protected wells, between 1990 and 2010. The figure means the world has met the internationally agreed Millennium Development Goal (MDG) to halve the proportion of people with no safe drinking water well ahead of a 2015 deadline, UNICEF and the World Health Organisation (WHO) said.
IBPS Clerk Exam – Score Card
Request you all to share you scores here on bankeradda.com to know where each of us stand.
CWE for Regional Rural Banks
Considering the nature of operations of RRBs, knowledge of local language is vital, the Ministry said.
NABARD TO COORDINATE
IBPS PO Exam 2012
Institute of Banking personnel Selection seems to be in a workaholic mode for the past few weeks.With back to back important news & releases, the latest is about the 2nd common written examination for PO/ MT posts.The results for the first edition were notified in the month of December 2011, based on which banks are recruiting for Probationary officer posts. IBPS had been entrusted with the task of conducting, evaluating & publishing results for an all India common test to facilitate filling of bank jobs.Candidates clearing the test would be issued scorecards using which they can apply for PO/ MT vacancies in 19 public sector banks
Online registrations shall be from March 9 – 30, 2012
Offline fee payment shall be from March 12 – April 7, 2012
Written exam on June 17, 2012
You must satisfy the following conditions, as on 1.01.2012
Agelimit: 20 – 30 yrs (+3 yrs for OBC,+5 yrs for SC/ST)
Should posses a degree (any discipline, no specific percent) from a recognized university
Selection: The IBPS common bank exam pattern contains both Objective & Descriptive papers for a total of 250 marks.For every wrong answer in objective test, negative mark of 0.25 would be reduced.
* Common Written Exam Guide (PO) – Rs.371 – Buy Online
* Bank PO previous yrs solved papers – Rs.259 – Buy Online
The scorecards (valid for 1 year) shall be sent to candidates who secure a minimum qualifying score in each paper.Using this, you can apply to banks that advertise their vacancies for Probationary officers or Management trainees post. Note that each bank will specify their own eligibility (that includes age,degree & test score) while calling for applications. Those looking to improve previous scores can also apply & brighten their chances of getting selected by garnering better scores.[read, Old scorecards wont be seized]
The application fees are fixed at Rs.50 (SC/ST) or Rs.450 (others) with the option of paying it through,
Online: (from Mar 9 – 30): Visit ibps.in & click on the online application to fill the necessary details.After submitting the form, you would be directed to the online fee payment gateway.
Offline: (from Mar 12 – Apr 7): Logon to ibps.in & visit IBPS common exam webpage to fill the online application.Enter the asked details & submit.
After 2 days, deposit the fees at any branch of BOB, BOI, PNB, IOB, United bank of India or Central Bank of India using the printed challan.
The complete advertisement of IBPS Common PO Exam 2012 can be downed from their website here.
DAILY GK UPDATES: 5th MARCH, 2012
DAILY GK UPDATES: 4th MARCH, 2012
2. The Election Commission of India, ECI has announced the schedule for biennial polls to 58 Rajya Sabha seats from 15 states, whose representatives complete their term next month. Announcing the schedule for filling up vacancies in the Rajya Sabha, the ECI said, the notification would be issued on March 12. The last date for filing of nominations is March 19 while that for withdrawal is March 22. Polling would be held on March 30. Biennial elections to the Council of States from Bihar shall also be held on the same date.
3. In Iran, loyalists of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei are likely to get a comfortable majority in the 290-member parliament. These include the politically important 30 seats in the capital Teheran. Early results show an estimated 75 per cent supported the hard-line group or the Principality.
4. India and the Arab League have called for a peaceful solution to the crisis in Syria. The issue came up for a discussion during the meeting of the External Affairs Minister SM Krishna and the Arab League Secretary General Nabil al Arabi in Cairo.
5. The Southern Region Bulk LPG Transport Owners Association has said that a decision on withdrawing the strike would be taken after a meeting of its members on Monday. The decision of the Association was conveyed by its leaders at a meeting conducted by the Tamil Nadu Civil Supplies Department to find a solution to the transporters strike.
6. Veteran Indian tennis player Mahesh Bhupathi clinched his 50th career title and his first with Rohan Bopanna when the duo outwitted Poles Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski to lift the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships doubles men’s trophy at Dubai.
7. Host India today lifted the first Women‘s World Cup Kabaddi crown defeating Iran 25-19 in a keenly contested final match held at Patliputra Sports Complex in Patna.
8. Australia registered a thrilling 15-run victory against Sri Lanka in the first final of the tri-series in Brisbane today.
9. Around one lakh book people visited the 20th edition of New Delhi World Book Fair on the last day at Pragati Maidan in the National Capital to find books of their own choice. The 9 day biennial event which concluded this evening witnessed around 7 lakh visitors which is three lakh more than the previous year. The theme pavillion which celebrated 100 years of Indian Cinema attracted large number of book lovers and cine stars.
10. India and Egypt have agreed to carry forward their relations to a new level. External Affairs Minister S. M. Krishna met the top Egyptian leaders in Cairo and saidIndia will provide all possible assistance to Egypt in its rebuilding efforts. Information Technology has been identified as the first key sector where India will contribute with its expertise and guidance.
11. Indian Army has successfully test fired the 290-Km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile at the Pokharan range in Jaisalmer today to operationalise the second regiment of the weapon system in service.
DAILY GK UPDATES: 3rd MARCH, 2012
2. The new building of the Afghan National Radio-TV station at Nangarhar was jointly inaugurated today by Minister of Information and Culture Dr. Sayed Makhdoom Raheen and India Ambassador Gautam Mukhopadhyay.
3. States have asked the Centre for adequate compensation for their revenue loss due to reduction in the Central Sales Tax -CST. Otherwise, they say the levy should be increased to the earlier rate of 4 per cent. The Empowered Committee of the State Finance Ministers in New Delhi also finalised a negative list of 35 services, which will not be taxed under proposed Goods and Services Tax – GST regime. The Centre is trying to phase-out the CST to usher in the new GST regime with a single tax merging excise, service tax and states tax, like value-added tax, entry tax and purchase tax.
4. The Chief Election Commissioner S.Y Quraishi today said that election in all 690 Assembly Constituencies spread over 122 Districts in Five States was completed Election remained totally fair, peaceful and incident free in five states – Manipur, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Goa and Uttar Pradesh. Voter’s turnout is the highest ever.
5. Sualkuchi is poised to take a more vigorous role to uplift the rural economy of the state Assam. Sualkuchi which is a weaving village that produces some of the best silk in the country provides employment to more than 25 thousand people. With proper implementation of various schemes, the industry has achieved an annual turnover of 150 crore rupees. In a bid to expedite the development process, the Assam government has recently inaugurated a textile park in Sualkuchi.
6. Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has begun process to buy nearly 500 train coaches for the phase-III. It has floated global tenders to buy trains that would have several new features and will be faster and less noisier than the existing ones.
DAILY GK UPDATES: 2nd MARCH, 2012
2. Uttarakhand government today introduced e-stamping in the state, which would ensure a secure way of paying non-judicial stamp duty to the government. Uttarakhand is the ninth state in the country to implement the e-stamping service. In the first phase, e-stamping is set to be introduced in the four districts of Dehra Dun, Haridwar, Udhamsingh Nagar and Nainital.
3. E-stamps would be sold through the branches of Punjab National Bank (PNB) in these districts. The state government has roped in 45 branches of PNB to carry the sale of e-stamps. E-stamping is a part of the e-governance initiative of the state which has been introduced by the state finance department in association with the Stock Holding Corporation of India Limited.
4. A Supreme Court Bench comprising Justices H L Dattu and C K Prasad today recused itself from hearing a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) challenging the validity of the 8.5 billion dollar Cairn-Vedanta deal. The bench however not stated the reason for the not taking up the plea. The PIL filed on 27 February 2012 by an advocate, Arun Kumar Agarwal, challenged the validity of the Cairn-Vedanta deal and sought a CBI probe into reasons for the government’s nod to the deal. The PIL claimed that the deal has caused a loss of around 1 lakh crore to the national exchequer.
5. RK Tyagi took charge as New Chairman of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), the defence enterprise of the government of India, today. Prior to this, he was heading Pawan Hans Helicopter Limited.
6. The Supreme Court of India today appointed its former judge, Justice H S Bedi as the chairman of the monitoring authority. He will investigate the case of 22 alleged fake encounter killings in Gujarat between 2002 and 2006. It also rejected the plea of government to extend the time till 12 March 2012 to sort out the issue of appointment of chairman.
7. Asia Pacific’s leading media technology company, Komli Media acquired South East Asia’s largest digital media network Admax Network on 29 February. The fresh acquisition is set to provide Komli Media with the region’s largest and most diverse publisher network of 4,600 local and international websites which includes Admax’s exclusive sales partnership with Facebook in Thailand, Indonesia and Philippines and with MSN in Thailand.
8. UNICEF published a new report titled, “THE STATE OF THE WORLD’S CHILDREN 2012 — Children in an Urban World”. According to the report, every third city child today lives in a slum and has no access to adequate food, drinking water, education and medical care. About one billion children and adolescents, and thus half of all children and adolescents, are living in cities. The continuing urbanization makes the cities of the world grow annually by about 60 million people. The needs and rights of children and adolescents are, according to UNICEF, often disregarded and play no significant role in urban planning. In order to give children a voice in urban decision-making processes, UNICEF has worked on the Child-Friendly Cities Initiative.