* Indian railways to become the largest freight carrier in the world.
* Social obligation of Railways in 2013-14 was Rs 20,000 crore.
* Gross traffic receipts in 2013-14 was Rs 12,35,558 crore; operating ratio was 94 per cent.
* Focus in past has been on sanctioning projects rather than completing them, Railway minister says.
* Indian Railways spent Rs 41,000 crore on laying of 3,700 km of new lines in last 10 years.
* Fare revision will bring in Rs.8,000 crore; need another Rs.9,000 crore for golden quadrilateral project.
* Railways also proposes to set up Food Courts at major stations.
* Need to explore alternative sources of resource mobilisation and not depend on fare hike alone, Railway minister says.
* Spend 94 paisa of every rupee earned, leaving a surplus of only 6 paisa.
* With 12,500 trains, railways move 23 million passengers every day; equivalent to moving Australia’s population.
* Separate housekeeping wing at 50 major stations.
* CCTV to monitor cleanliness activities.
* Mechanized laundry will be introduced.
* Dedicated freight corridor on Eastern and Western corridors.
* 5400 unmanned level crossing removed.
* Tourist trains to be introduced to link all major places of tourist interests across the country.
* 4,000 women constables to be recruited to ensure safety of women. 17,000 RPF constables to provide safety to passengers.
* Setting up of Railway University for technical and non-technical study.
* Ultrasonic system to detect problem in track.
* Proposal to start Bullet trains in Mumbai—Ahmedabad route. Speed of important trains will be also raised.
* Diamond Quadrilateral project of high speed trains to connect all major metros.
* E-ticketing system to be improved. Future e-ticketing to support 7200 tickets per minute & to allow 120,000 simultaneous users
* Wifi in A1 and A category stations and in select trains. Internet-based platform and unreserved tickets.
* GIS mapping and digitization of Railway Land. Extension of logistics support to various e-Commerce Companies.
* Bulk of future projects will be financed through PPP mode.
* Facilitate transport of milk through rail. Special milk transportation trains in association with Amul and National Dairy Association Board.
* One ticket to reach from Delhi to Srinagar. Uddhampur to Banihal by bus and Banihal to Srinagar by train.
* Mumbai local to get 860 new, state-of-the art coaches. 64 new EMUs to be introduced.
* Train connectivity to Char Dham.
* Paperless office of Indian railways in 5 years. Digital reservation charts at stations.
* Ready-to-eat meals to be introduced in phased manners.
* 27 Express trains to be introduced.
* 5 Jansadharan , 5 Premium AC trains to be introduced.