Directions (Q.1 – 5) : Each question below has two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank which best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
1.Adding to a growing body of research ……….. cutting back on sweetened beverages it is now found that drinking ……. Sugary drinks may help lower blood pressure.
1) for, all
2) sustaining, increased
3) against, lesser
4) behind, more
5) supporting, fewer
2.The blame game for the air tragedy is already in full ……… with the authorities involved making attempts to ……………. for themselves.
1) sway, defend
2) view, try
3) fledged, protect
4) swing, cover
5) roll, hide
3.The actress, wearing a dark grey suit and open necked shirt, sat ………… the proceedings looking nervous throughout, occasionally frowning as her lawyer ………… with the judge.
1) through, argued
2) on, spoke
3) for, addressed
4) with, discussed
5) along, lectured
4.It was an excellent social evening with people from all …………. of life getting a chance to let ………… their hair.
1) areas, drop
2) realms, flow
3) arena, undone
4) walks, down
5) types, loose
5.There can be no denying the fact in sports, star coaches have the ……. to get something extra out of their ………….
1) apprehension, work
2) ability, teams
3) fear, member
4) capability, house
5) desirous, players
Directions (Q.6 – 10) : Rearrange the following six sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph; then answer the questions given below them.
(A)It is therefore a contributing factor to the growth of landfills and waterway pollution, both of which are costly and energy-intensive to solve.
(B)Making an effort to use those resources and avoid polystyrene ones can help to decrease your environmental impact.
(C)Non-biodegradable essentially means that any polystyrene that makes its way into a landfill will stay there indefinitely, never breaking down and returning to the earth.
(D)Polystyrene, as a product, is very convenient to use, but it has some important effects we should consider when making choices as consumers.
(E)While recycling polystyrene material can cushion the environment blow of its use, alternavitves are available that are created from renewable resources and biodegrade more readily.
(F)For example, while polystyrene has some excellent uses and is technically recyclable, it is not a substance that biodegrades.
6. Which of the following should be the THIRD sentence after rearrangement?
7. Which of the following should be the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?
8. Which of the following should be the SECOND sentence after rearrangement?
9.Which of the following should be the FOURTH sentence after rearrangement?
10. Which of the following should be the FIFTH sentence after rearrangement?
Directions (Q.11 – 15): Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical error or idiomatic error in it. The error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is no error, the answer is (5). (Ignore errors of punctuation, if any.
11. Sugar-sweetend drinks does not 1)/pose any particular health risk, and /2) are not a unique risk factor/3) for obesity or heart disease./ 4) No error 5)
12. Airline managements should not 1)/ that the ultimate passenger-unfriendliness 2)/ is to have their planes crash 3)/ due to the adopted of unsafe procedures. / 4) No error 5)
13. Celebrating its ten long years 1)/ in the industry,a private entertainment channel 2)/announce a series of 3)/ programmes at a press conference. / 4) No error 5)
14. The award ceremony ended 1)/ on a note of good cheer 2)/ with audiences responding warmly 3)/ to its line-up of films. / 4) No error 5)
15. The actress was ordered for 1)/ wear an alcohol- monitoring bracelet and 2)/ submit to random weekly drug testing after 3)/ she failed to appear for a court date last week. / 4) No error 5)