INFORMAL LETTER FORMAT:
Date and Address: The writer should mention their own address in the letter they are writing. It should be written on the right hand corner of the page. Writing this address is optional, because one may feel that the recipient knows you well so what’s the need? However, it’s not necessary that the recipient will remember your address always. So it’s better that you write the address. After the address, leave a line and write the date. The date shows when the letter was written, obviously.
Greetings or Salutation: The most common way to start off an informal letter is with a ‘dear’. Since this letter is meant for your friends or family, there is no need to greet them as ‘Sir’ or ‘Madam’. Put the name after that and then put a comma. e.g Dear Mike.
Text or Body: While writing the main content of the letter, keep in mind the following:
1. Paragraphs: They should be indented.
2. Informal language usage: While writing the letter be as friendly as possible. But don’t go overboard. Do keep in mind to whom you are writing the letter. Don’t write to your father, ‘Hey dude! What’s up?’, but at the same time don’t make the letter boring.
3. Punctuations, spellings and grammar: While writing a letter, nothing can be worse than spelling, grammar and punctuation errors. Wrong use of punctuations can change the entire meaning of what you are trying to convey. Things such as ‘how are you hope you enjoyed your holidays. Suman going to New Delhi yesterday’ makes so sense. It will only confuse the reader. So be careful while writing your letter.
4. Use active voice: Active voice makes your letter sound more conversational and makes it more interesting to read. It’s as if the person is conversing with you face to face.
5. Put in questions: Questions in your letter act as a good base on which you can write your letter on. Also, it motivates the reader to reply.
Close with a Compliment: After writing the letter, sign off in a friendly manner such as ‘Love,’ or ‘Missing you loads’, ‘Love you forever,’, etc. Don’t forget to put a comma after the compliment. Add your name after that.
Post script (PS): Sometimes, while in a hurry, we often forget to include something in the letter. You can put that in the post script, at the bottom of the letter as P.S. I ranked first in class last week.
There, now if you follow all this, you know how to write an informal letter. So here’s a sample which you can refer to while writing the letter in the SBI PO Exam.
Sample Letter : Letter to a friend inviting him for your birthday party.
12 XYZ Lane,
PO Box: 1234,
13th February 2014
How are you my friend? It has been some time since we met. How was your trip to Kerala? Hope you enjoyed. I received all the postcards which you had sent me from there. Thanks a bunch! I loved each of them.
Hey! Guess what? My Aunt has organized an early birthday party for me, and she has asked me to invite all my friends. You know very well that no party of mine is complete without you. So please be at my place this Sunday. The party doesn’t start till 4, but do come early so then we can play with my new play station. Bring Anjali along with you too. Don’t be late.
Hope you parents are all right? Give them my regards. And wish you all the best for your basketball match today. Miss you loads pal. See you this Sunday.
P.S.- Don’t forget to bring me my novel which I borrowed you last time.