Ozone depletion is the major cause that we are facing worldwide.Every year Ozone world day is celebrated on 16th September to spread the awareness among people about the ozone depletion and what could be possible cause to preserve it.As we all know Ozone layer helps in protecting the Earth from the harmful rays of the sun. The Fragile shield of gas has protected human health and ecosystem by restricting the harmful and ultraviolet rays to reach the earth . According to UN Secretary-General António Guterres-“”As we rightly focus our energies on tackling climate change, we must be careful not to neglect the ozone layer and stay alert to the threat posed by the illegal use of ozone-depleting gases.” Keep on reading the article to gather the information on World Ozone day.
World Ozone Day : Theme 2019
‘32 years and Healing’ is the theme for the world ozone day 2019. This year’s theme celebrates three decades of remarkable international cooperation to protect the Ozone Layer and the climate under the Montreal Protocol. It also reminds the people to keep up the momentum to ensure healthy people and a healthy planet according to United nations website.Ozone depletion of the latest scientific assessment was completed in 2018. 1-3% parts have been recovered since 2000 per decade according to the assessment made in the year 2018. Mid latitude Ozone and northern hemisphere will be protected by 2030s, thus we can say that efforts to protect the ozone layer also helping in changing the climate on the earth.
This time we can celebrate our success but we must keep on pushing our self to tackle the illegal source of ozone depleting substances whenever they arise.
What causes Ozone Depletion?
The major cause of the ozone depletion is the human activity which includes chemicals like chlorine and bromine as these chemicals contains some ozone depletion substances which has lifetime nearly about 100 years. In 1970, scientist claim the reduction in stratospheric ozone whereas it was more prominent in polar region. The chief ozone depleting substances include chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), carbon tetrachloride, hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) and methyl chloroform.
Harmful Effects of UV rays or effects of Ozone Depletion
- It causes cancer and may lead to skin burn also.
- It speed up the aging
- It may also damage the immune system
- It can also result in burning tissue of the eyes which is known as Snow blindness
- It can also cause skin and eye cancer in animals.
- Forest are also effected with its effect. It may lead to minimal growth.
- It greatly effect the plankton. If they are destroyed then organism in the lower food chain will also be effected.
How to save earth from Ozone layer depletion?
- Avoid fertilizers which may effect the environment . Make use of environment friendly fertilizers.
- Plant more trees this will help in saving the earth and the environment.
- Avoid burning plastics and tires made of rubbers.
- Prevent smoke from the vehicles. Save crude oil by maintaining it regularly.
- Avoid products which contains CFCs and aerosol in plastic containers should be avoided.