Q1. Former vice president Venkaiah Naidu released the book titled “As the Wheel Turns” to mark the Rayala Corporation’s Diamond Jubilee (75th-year celebration) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Who is the author of the book?
(a) Amrit Mathur
(b) Radhika Iyengar
(c) Rishi Raj
(d) Ranjit Pratap
(e) Chetna Maroo
Q2. The Geographical Indications Registry, in July 2023, issued the Geographical Indication (GI) tag certificate to the Authoor Betel Leaves (Authoor Vetrilai). Which state does Authoor Betel Leaves (Authoor Vetrilai) hail from?
(c) Tamil Nadu
(e) Andhra Pradesh
Q3. The 15th BRICS summit held significant importance against the backdrop of geopolitical changes and global economic dynamics. Who was the chair of the 15th BRICS Summit?
(a) Vladimir Putin
(b) Xi Jinping
(c) Narendra Modi
(d) Jair Bolsonaro
(e) Cyril Ramaphosa
Q4. Environmental leaders from 185 countries gathered in Vancouver, Canada for the Seventh Assembly of the Global Environment Facility from August 22-26. Who is the chairperson of the Global Environment Facility?
(a) Ahmed Hussen
(b) Alexis Tsipras
(c) Carlos Manuel Rodriguez
(d) Ahmed Salim
(e) Costas Simitis
Q5. Which private sector bank recently launched a co-branded corporate credit card in partnership with Zaggle, which specializes in spend management?
(a) Yes Bank
(b) Axis Bank
(c) ICICI Bank
(d) IndusInd Bank
(e) Kotak Mahindra Bank
Q6. Who has recently been elected as the President of Zimbabwe?
(a) Natasa Pirc
(c) Emmerson Mnangagwa
(d) Daniel Ortega
(e) Walter Steinmeier
Q7. Union Minister Jitendra Singh unveiled the new variety “Lotus” flower developed by Lucknow Institute CSIR-NBRI (National Botanical Research Institute) that has 108 petals. The lotus named _______X_______ is developed by the CSIR-National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI), a premier plant-based, multidisciplinary, state-of-the-art National R&D centre based in Lucknow.
Which among the following will replace X?
(a) NBRI Vaarij 108
(b) NBRI Suman 108
(c) NBRI Shatdal 108
(d) NBRI Pankaj 108
(e) NBRI Namoh 108
Q8. The Pi Approximation Day is annually observed on which day across the globe to honour the importance of the concept of Pi in calculations, which is represented using the Greek letter ‘π’?
(a) 4th Feb
(b) 10th March
(c) 3rd May
(d) 22nd July
(e) 29th September
Q9. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) signed Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) with 35 institutions across India for collaboration in standardization and conformity assessment. In which year was the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) founded?
Q10. In August 2023, which bank launched a unique savings bank account “Jeevan Dhara”, designed for pensioners and those who are planning for retirement, including all the employees who retired on a voluntary basis or standard retirement procedures?
(a) Bank of Maharashtra
(b) State Bank of India
(c) Union Bank of India
(d) Canara Bank
(e) Punjab National Bank
S1. Ans. (d)
Sol. Ranjit Pratap authored the book titled “As the Wheels Turns”.
Details Related to Options:
- Radhika Iyengar: Fire on the Ganges: Life Among the Dead in Banaras
- Rishi Raj: Kargil: Ek Yatri Ki Jubani
- Amrit Mathur: Pitchside: My Life in Indian Cricket
- Chetna Maroo: Western Lane
S2. Ans. (c)
Sol. Authoor Betel leaves (Authoor Vetrilai) hails from Tamil Nadu.
- Four months after the Geographical Indications Registry notified Geographical Indication (GI) tag for Authoor betel leaves, the registry recently issued the GI certificate to the Thoothukudi district administration.
- The betel leaves, locally known as Vettrilai, are nurtured by Thamirabrani river water.
Tamil Nadu Static Facts:
- Chief Minister: M K Stalin
- Governor: R N Ravi
- Capital: Chennai
- National Parks: Guindy, Gulf of Mannar Marine, Anamalai, Mudumalai, Mukurthi National Parks
- Wildlife Sanctuaries: Kalakad, Sathyamangalam Vallanadu Wildlife Sanctuaries
S3. Ans. (e)
Sol. Cyril Ramaphosa was the chair of the 15th BRICS Summit.
- The 2023 BRICS summit was the fifteenth annual BRICS summit, an international relations conference attended by the heads of state or heads of government of the five member states: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
- The 15th BRICS summit hosted by South Africa in Johannesburg, holds significant importance against the backdrop of geopolitical changes and global economic dynamics.
- Notably, this summit marks the first in-person gathering since 2019.
- The theme for the 15th BRICS Summit was “BRICS and Africa: Partnership for Mutually Accelerated Growth, Sustainable Development and Inclusive Multilateralism”.
S4. Ans. (c)
Sol. Carlos Manuel Rodriguez is the CEO and chairperson of the Global Environment Facility.
- Environmental leaders from 185 countries gathered in Vancouver, Canada for the Seventh Assembly of the Global Environment Facility from August 22-26.
- It included the launch of the Global Biodiversity Framework Fund, a new source of funding for protecting species and ecosystems globally. The GEF was selected to manage the new fund at the COP15 Convention on Biological Diversity summit in December 2022 and its governing Council approved plans for this in June 2023 in Brasilia.
S5. Ans. (a)
Sol. Yes Bank launched a co-branded corporate credit card in partnership with Zaggle, which specializes in spend management.
- The card will facilitate businesses to bring in greater cost efficiencies by facilitating integration with Zaggle’s ZatiX, a spend management and analytics platform, allowing corporates to optimize cash outflows.
S6. Ans. (c)
Sol. Emmerson Mnangagwa has a secured second term as Zimbabwe’s president in a poll marred by electoral malpractice.
S7. Ans. (e)
Sol. The name of the Lotus is “NBRI Namoh 108”.
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh unveiled the new variety “Lotus” flower developed by Lucknow Institute CSIR-NBRI (National Botanical Research Institute) that has 108 petals.
- The lotus named ‘NBRI Namoh 108’ is developed by the CSIR-National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI), a premier plant-based, multidisciplinary, state-of-the-art National R&D center based in Lucknow.
S8. Ans. (d)
Sol. The Pi Approximation Day is annually observed on 22nd July across the globe to honour the importance of the concept of Pi in calculations, which is represented using the Greek letter ‘π’.
Details Related to Options:
- 29th September: World Heart Day
- 3rd May: World Press Freedom Day
- 10th March: CISF Raising Day
- 4th February: World Cancer Day
S9. Ans. (b)
Sol. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) was founded in 1986.
- Bureau of Indian Standards, the National Standards Body of India signed Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) with 35 prestigious institutions across the country for fostering collaboration in standardization and conformity assessment.
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS):
- BIS is a statutory body functioning under the aegis of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Government of India.
- It operates various schemes like Product Certification (ISI mark), Management Systems Certification, Hall Marking of Gold and Silver Jewellery/Artefacts and Laboratory Services for the benefit of the industry and in turn aiming at consumer protection.
- Founded: 1986
- Headquarters: New Delhi
S10. Ans. (d)
Sol. Canara Bank has introduced Canara Jeevan Dhara, a special savings bank account for pensioners, and prospective pensioners.
- All the employees who retired on a voluntary basis or normal retirements are also eligible.
- The interest rate on Jeevan Dhara savings account will be same as regular savings account which ranges from 2.90% to 4% depending on the balance in the account.
Canara Bank Static Facts:
- Founded: 1 July 1906
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- CEO: K Satyanarayana Raju
- Founder: Ammembal Subba Rao Pai
- Tagline: Together We Can