1. Cabinet Approves Merger of NCVT And NSDA To Establish NCVET
iii. The primary functions of NCVET will include –
- recognition and regulation of awarding bodies, assessment bodies and skill related information providers;
- approval of qualifications developed by awarding bodies and Sector Skill Councils (SSCs);
- indirect regulation of vocational training institutes through awarding bodies and assessment agencies;
- research and information dissemination;
- grievance redressal.
2. IIT-Madras Signs MoU With Tamil Nadu e-Governance Agency
ii. The collaboration is expected to contribute towards various aspects of governance, including (but not limited to) education, healthcare, and agriculture, says a press release from IIT-Madras.
3. Coal India signs MoU with NLC for 5000 MW Power Generation
4. Severe Cyclonic Storm ‘TITLI’ Hits West-Central Bay of Bengal
- France President: Emmanuel Macron, Capital: Paris, Currency: euro, CFP franc.
ii. Last year, CHG meeting was held in Sochi, Russia and was also attended by EAM. The SCO CHG meeting is a forum that enables India to engage with SCO member countries and Observer states of Afghanistan, Belarus, Iran and Mongolia.
- IDBI Bank was established in 1964.
- IDBI Bank Headquarters in Mumbai.
10. Pravin Srivastava Appointed India’s 3rd Chief Statistician
ii. Srivastava’s tenure will be till August 31, 2020.
11. Tushar Mehta Appointed Solicitor General of India
ii. The post had been lying vacant since October 2017 when the then Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar had resigned. Solicitor General is the second highest ranking law officer of the government after the Attorney General.
- KK Venugopal is the present Attorney General of India.
ii. Veena defeated Namita Ammu of Tamil Nadu to claim the title at the national-level beauty contest organised in Mumbai. Sendre, a former Miss Chhattisgarh, belongs to Mandir Hasaud village in Raipur.
14. Indus Towers Wins Deming Prize For 2018
ii. The Deming Prize was bestowed on Indus Towers for distinctive performance improvements through the application of Total Quality Management (TQM) practices. Indus Towers is only the 29th Indian company to win this coveted award.
- The Deming Prize for 2018 was announced by JUSE – Union of Japanese Scientists and Engineers.
- It was established in 1951 and was originally designed to reward Japanese companies for their major advancements in quality improvement.
ii. In Buenos Aires, the 16-year old blew the field away in the final as he finished a massive Seven and a half points ahead of his closest rival. It is India’s third gold medal in the history of Youth Olympic Games.
17. IOC Picks Senegal As 1st African Host For Youth Olympics
- Senegal Capital: Dakar, Currency: West African CFA franc.
18. Noted Malayalam Poet MN Paloor Passes Away
ii. Paloor won the Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award, the state’s highest literary honour, in 1983 for his collection ‘Kalikalam’. He also received the Sahitya Akademi Award for his autobiography ‘Kathayillathavante Katha’ in 2013.