The General Awareness Section plays an important role in scoring well above cut off marks in any competitive exam. The Banking Awareness and Static Awareness questions asked in the General Awareness Section are based on Current Affairs mainly. So you need to prepare well this section to score good marks. Here is the Daily GK Update to get you acquainted with the top events that made the headlines today!
- UK Capital: London, Currency: Pound sterling.
- Qatar’s Hamad International Airport
- Tokyo International Airport.
- Athens International Airport.
5. 400 KMPH: Japan Tests World’s Fastest Bullet Train
i. Japan has started testing its fastest-ever bullet train capable of reaching 400 kilometers per hour (249 mph) as it continues to develop the revolutionary mode of travel. The ALFA-X version of the Shinkansen train began three years’ worth of test runs.
ii. Once it enters operation around 2030, it will run at speeds of up to 360 kph (224 mph), comfortably making it the world’s fastest bullet train.
Static/Current Takeaways Important For SBI Mains 2019:
- Japan Capital- Tokyo, Currency– Japanese yen, PM– Shinzo Abe.
- Capital of Nigeria: Abuja, Currency: Nigerian naira.
- State of Eritrea Capital: Asmara, Currency: Eritrean nakfa.
- Some of the famous awardees of McCain Institute Award are – Malala Yousafzai (2015) and Dikembe Mutombo (2016).
- Lewis Hamilton also won Bahrain and Chinese Grand Prix of 2019.
- Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk has been named the Premier League Player of the Season.
i. Pakistan off-spinner Sana Mir has become the most successful women’s ODI spinner in history after she took her 147th wicket, highest ever by any spinner in One-day International (ODI) cricket.
ii. Currently, Mir is placed on the third position in the ICC’s ODI bowling ranking, which is topped by Indian pacer Jhulan Goswami.
i. Former Manchester City and Barcelona midfielder Yaya Toure has officially announced his retirement from football.
- At Barcelona, he won two LaLiga titles and the 2009 Champions League.
- Toure also captured the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations playing for the Ivory Coast.
- He was named the African Footballer of the Year in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
i. Former Croatia international and manager Igor Stimac will be appointed as the Indian men’s team coach after the All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) technical committee recommended him for the post.
ii. The committee, headed by Shyam Thapa, interviewed the four candidates for the post- Stimac, Albert Roca, Hakan Ericson, and Lee and zeroed in on Stimac.
i. Mumbai Indians became IPL champions for the fourth time after defeating Chennai Super Kings by one run in a thrilling final in Hyderabad.
ii. Kieron Pollard top-scored with his unbeaten 41-run knock. Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the most successful wicket-keeper in the history of IPL by taking his dismissals tally to 132.
iii. Let’s have a look at some interesting Statistics of IPL 2019:
- Orange Cap- David Warner of Sunrisers Hyderabad scored most runs: 692 Runs in 12 Matches.
- Purple Cap- Imran Tahir of Chennai Super Kings took most wickets: 26 Wickets in 17 Matches.
- Jonny Bairstow of Sunrisers Hyderabad Highest Individual Score: 114 Runs.
i. The 2019 Madrid Open (sponsored by Mutua) is a professional tennis tournament played on outdoor clay courts at the Park Manzanares in Madrid, Spain.
ii. It was the 18th edition of the event on the ATP World Tour and 11th on the WTA Tour.
Here is the complete list of winners of 2019 Madrid Open
i. Inaugural issue of world’s first exclusive women’s cricket magazine ‘Criczone’ was released with Indian team vice-captain Smriti Mandhana featuring as the cover story.
ii. It is a one-stop solution, exclusively dedicated to providing updates, articles, news, interviews, etc. from the world of women’s cricket. Publisher of the magazine is Yash Lahoti.
i. In 2019, World Migratory Bird Day is celebrated on May 11 and October 12.
ii. The theme for World Migratory Bird Day 2019 is ‘Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution.’.
i. International Nurses Day is celebrated around the world on 12 May. It celebrates the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale.
ii. The theme for 2019 International Nurses Day 2019 is “Nurses – A Voice to Lead – Health for All”. It was first celebrated by the International Council of Nurses (ICN) in 1965.
i. Padma Shri awardee Bhojpuri vocal artist Hiralal Yadav passed away in Varanasi at the age of 93. Shri Yadav was a well known Bhojpuri folk singer from the ‘Birha’ genre.
ii. He received a Padma Shri award, the country’s fourth highest civilian award, in January 2019.
You may also like to Read: