Here is the Daily GK Update of 13th January 2022 covering the following news headlines: Kazakhstan, ISRO chief, RajKummar Rao, Vodafone Idea, Retail inflation, Indu Malhotra.
Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of the important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of 13th January 2022 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Top 14 Daily GK Updates: National & International News
Here is providing below the top 14 important Daily General Knowledge GK 2021 updates with national & international news.
1. Alikhan Smailov appointed as new Prime Minister of Kazakhstan
- The parliament of Kazakhstan has unanimously approved the appointment of Alikhan Smailov as the new Prime Minister of the country. His name was nominated by Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on January 11, 2022.
- Prior to this, the 49-year-old Smailov served as the country’s finance minister from 2018 to 2020. He became the first deputy prime minister in the Cabinet in 2019.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Kazakhstan Capital: Nur-Sultan;
- Kazakhstan Currency: Kazakhstani tenge.
2. Rocket scientist S Somanath appointed as new ISRO chief
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has announced the appointment of the eminent rocket scientist Dr S Somanath as its new chairman and Space Secretary. He will succeed Kailasavadivoo Sivan who completes his extended tenure.
- The post of the ISRO chairman, the Space Secretary and the Space Commission chief is usually held by one person only. Mr Somanath is an expert in a host of disciplines including launch vehicle design and has specialised in launch vehicle systems engineering, structural design, structural dynamics, integration designs and procedures, mechanism design, and pyrotechnics.
- He is currently the Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) in Kerala’s Thiruvananthapuram. He was a team leader for the Integration of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) during the early phases of his career.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- ISRO Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka;
- ISRO established: 15 August 1969.
3. RajKummar Rao named as brand ambassador of RenewBuy
- RenewBuy, an online insurance platform, has appointed Rajkummar Rao as the brand ambassador for its 1st 360-degree consumer advertising campaign that highlights consumers’ insurance needs.
- The campaign was designed and conceptualised by Havas Worldwide India. “Smart Tech, Right Advice” is the theme of the campaign. This program aims to increase the spread of insurance policies digitally for consumers from any part of the country.
4. Centre will hold 35.8% stakes of Vodafone Idea in the form of equity
- The Central Government of India is set to become the largest shareholder in Vodafone Idea. The company’s board approved the conversion of Rs 16,000 crores in interest into equity.
- India’s third-largest network Vi or Vodafone Idea Limited (VIL) has approved the interest on the spectrum and Adjusted Gross Revenue (AGR) dues into government equity.
- VIL accepted a four-year moratorium as well as accepted the equity conversion, which means the Indian government will own almost 35.8% of VIL’s stake followed by Vodafone Group which owns 28.5% and 17.8% by Aditya Birla Group.
5. Retail inflation rises to 5.59% in December 2021
- Retail inflation in December 2021 rose to a six-month high of 5.59 per cent from 4.91 per cent in November 2021, mainly due to a sharp rise in food prices as food inflation for the period under review also rose steeply to 4.05 per cent against 1.87 per cent in November 2021.
- According to data released by the ministry of statistics and programme implementation, prices of cereals, egg, milk products and prepared meals went up during December 2021.
- Apart from these items, prices of clothing and footwear, education, health as well as recreation activities and transportation too witnessed a rise in December 2021 compared to November 2021.
6. UBS Projects India’s GDP forecast at 9.1% in FY22
- Swiss brokerage UBS Securities has lowered the growth forecast of the Indian economy for the current financial year (FY22) to 9.1 per cent due to a massive surge in Omicron infections. Earlier this was estimated at 9.5 per cent.
- However, UBS Securities has revised upwards the real GDP forecast of India in FY23 to 8.2 per cent. This was projected at 7.7 per cent earlier.
7. World Bank projects India’s GDP growth at 8.3% in FY22
- The World Bank has projected the Indian economy to grow at the following rate in its ‘Global Economic Prospects’ report released on January 11, 2022.
- The World Bank retained its FY22 growth forecast for India at 8.3 per cent but upgraded it to 8.7 per cent for FY23, from 7.5 per cent estimated earlier, citing improving growth prospects, especially a reviving private capex cycle.
- The forecast for FY2022/23 and FY2023/24 for India has been upgraded to 8.7 per cent and 6.8 per cent, respectively, reflecting higher investment from the private sector and in infrastructure, and dividends from ongoing reforms.
World Bank has lowered the Global economy growth rate as follows:
- 2021 – 5.5 per cent
- 2022 – 4.1 per cent
- 2023 – 3.2 per cent
8. DRDO successfully test-fires final deliverable configuration of MPATGM
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested the Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM), in its final “deliverable configuration”.
- MPATGM will be manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Limited at its facility in Bhanoor, Telangana.
- The purpose of testing the missile was to check its consistent performance at a minimum range, which is 200-300 metres.
- MPATGM has already completed a similar successful test for a maximum range of 4,000 metres.
- With this successful test of the MPATGM, the system is now ready for production in large numbers in India.
9. Supreme Court appoints 5-member panel headed by former judge Indu Malhotra
- The Supreme Court of India has constituted a five-member committee to probe the security breach during the recent visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Punjab. The committee will be headed by former apex court judge Justice Indu Malhotra.
- Other members of the panel include the Inspector General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA), the Director-General of Police of Chandigarh, the Registrar General of the Punjab and Haryana High Court and the Additional DGP (Security) of Punjab.
- To inquire who all are responsible for the security breach and to what extent the remedial measures are necessary.
- Give suggestions on the security of constitutional functionaries ensuring that such incidents do not take place in future.
Ranks and Reports News
10. Henley Passport Index 2022: India Ranks 83rd in Q1
- India has improved its position by seven places to rank at 83rd place among 111 countries in the latest Henley Passport Index, released for Q1 of 2022. India ranked at 90th spot among 116 countries in Q4 of 2021 in October.
- The Indian passport has visa-free access to 60 destinations worldwide in Q1 2022, as compared to 58 destinations in Q4 of 2021. Oman and Armenia are the latest destinations where Indian passport holders can visit without obtaining a visa.
- Japan and Singapore have retained the joint top position in the Henley Global Mobility Report 2022 Q1. Their passports holders are allowed to travel visa-free to 192 countries. Afghanistan has the world’s least powerful passports, with a visa-free score of 26.
11. Tata group replaces Chinese mobile manufacturer Vivo as IPL title sponsor
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has informed that Tata group has replaced Chinese mobile phone manufacturer Vivo as the title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for the 2022 and 2023 seasons.
- The multinational conglomerate will pay Rs. 300 crore per year as the title sponsor of IPL for the next two seasons. This is about 60% of what Vivo would have paid.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Tata group Founder: Jamsetji Tata;
- Tata group Founded: 1868, Mumbai;
- Tata group Headquarters: Mumbai;
- Chairman of the Board at Tata Sons: Natarajan Chandrasekaran.
Books and Authors
12. A book on Arundhati Bhattacharya “Indomitable: A Working Woman’s Notes on Life, Work and Leadership” released
- HarperCollins is set to publish “Indomitable: A Working Woman’s Notes on Life, Work and Leadership” the autobiography of Arundhati Bhattacharya, retired Indian banker and former first-ever woman Chairperson of the State Bank of India.
- Indomitable features the story of Arundhati Bhattacharya’s life as a banker and the difficulties she faced in the male-dominated sector. She is the chairperson and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of salesforce India, a cloud-based Software as a service (SaaS) company headquartered in San Francisco, California, United States of America.
13. David Bennett world first human receives a Pig Heart Transplant
- A US man has become the first person in the world to get a heart transplant from a genetically-modified pig. David Bennett, 57, is doing well three days after the experimental seven-hour procedure in Baltimore.
- The possibility of using animal organs for so-called xenotransplantation to meet the demand has long been considered, and using pig heart valves is already common. Pigs are increasingly becoming popular candidates for organ transplantation.
- This is because their organs are anatomically similar to those of humans. What’s more, porcine components are more tuned for genetic engineering.
14. India’s oldest sloth bear ‘Gulabo’ passes away at Van Vihar National Park
- India’s oldest female sloth bear, whose name was Gulabo, has passed away at the Van Vihar National Park and Zoo, located in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. Gulabo was the oldest sloth bear of the country. She died at the age of 40.
- She was rescued from a street performer (Madaari) in May 2006, when she was 25 years. Gulabo was one of the star attractions in the park.
- The Van Vihar National Park, located on the banks of Bhopal’s Upper Lake, also runs a rescue and breeding centre for sloth bears.
13 January | Current Affairs 2022 | Current Affairs Today | Daily Current Affairs
All the Best BA’ians for the Bank exam!