Here is the daily GK update of 19th September 2020 covering the following news headlines: Gujarat, Bandhan Bank, Canara Bank, BRICS, Udit Singhal.
Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of the important news that held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about the banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of 19th September 2020 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
1. Gujarat government launches Mukhyamantri Mahila Utkarsh Yojana
- The Gujarat government has launched the Mukhyamantri Mahila Utkarsh Yojana (MMUY).
- The scheme will provide interest-free loans to women’s groups in the state.
- Under the MMUY, 50,000 joint liability and earning group (JLEG) will be formed in urban areas. Similarly, 50,000 such groups will also be formed in rural areas.
- Each group will have 10 women members in it. The groups will be offered interest-free loans by the government.
- The interest amount will be borne by the state government. The Gujarat government is going to sign MoUs with banks shortly, and has also decided to waive the stamp duty charges for the loans to be given to these women groups.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chief Minister of Gujarat: Vijaybhai R. Rupani; Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat.
2. Bandhan Bank sets up new vertical “Emerging Entrepreneurs Business”
- Bandhan Bank has set up a new vertical called “Emerging Entrepreneurs Business (EEB)”.
- The new vertical has been launched to support the emerging needs of the unbanked and underbanked segment of customers.
- The vertical will focus on supporting this segment of customers in their journey to becoming entrepreneurs.
- In addition to micro loans, the vertical will also manage micro home loan, micro bazaar loan and micro enterprise loan.
Important static takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Bandhan Bank: Chandra Shekhar Ghosh.
- Headquarters of Bandhan Bank: Kolkata.
3. Canara Bank introduces i-Lead 2.0 to boost customer services
- Public sector lender Canara Bank has launched lead management system (LMS) – i-Lead 2.0 (Inspiring Leads System version 2.0).
- The system has been launched to provide its services to customers irrespective of where they reside.
- Through lead management system (LMS), customers can enquire and get services rendered through simple modes such as internet banking, mobile banking, call centre, SMS and missed call.
- This new initiative is being introduced with the motive of building and sustaining business relationships with both new customers to bank and existing customers to bank.
4. Narendra Singh Tomar takes additional charge of FPI Ministry
- Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar has been given the additional charge of Food Processing Industries Ministry.
- He has been given the additional charge as President Ram Nath Kovind has accepted the resignation of Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal from the Union Council of Ministers, with immediate effect, under clause (2) of Article 75 of the Constitution.
Awards & Rewards
5. Margaret Atwood awarded 2020 Dayton Literary Peace Prize
- Margaret Atwood has won the 2020 Dayton Literary Peace Prize’s lifetime achievement award.
- The award celebrates literature’s power to foster peace, social justice and global understanding.
- The Richard C. Holbrooke Distinguished Achievement Award is named for the late U.S. diplomat who brokered the 1995 Bosnian peace accords reached in the Ohio city.
- Margaret Atwood is a prolific writer of poetry, fiction, nonfiction, essays and comic books.
- In the recent years, she has drawn a new round of acclaim for “The Handmaid’s Tale”, her bestselling 1985 novel of a dystopian future in which women are subjugated after a theocratic group overthrow the US government.
Summits & Conferences
6. 10th Meeting of BRICS National Security Advisors
- 10th Meeting of the BRICS High Representatives on National Security was held virtually.
- The 10th meeting of the NSAs was hosted by the current chair of BRICS i.e. Russia.
- National Security Advisor Ajit Doval represented India in a virtual meet of top security officials from Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa (BRICS) grouping.
- The participants exchanged views on combating terrorism and extremism besides deliberating on global and regional security issues.
- They also exchanged views on key issues of global and regional security, discussed the main areas of practical cooperation in the field of security among law enforcement agencies of the member nations.
7. Veteran Tamil Director Babu Sivan passes away
- Tamil director Babu Sivan passed away. He began his career by assisting director Dharani, who helmed films like Ghilli and Kurvi with Vijay.
- Later, he made his directorial debut with Vettaikaaran in 2009. It was one of the highest grossing Tamil films of that year.
8. Udit Singhal named in UN’s 2020 list of Young Leaders
- Indian teenager Udit Singhal has been named in the 2020 Class of 17 Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- He has been named in the 2020 list of young leaders who promote sustainable development goals.
- Udit Singhal is the founder of Glass2Sand, an initiative that is based on a zero-waste ecosystem to tackle the challenge of glass waste in Delhi.
- This initiative has prevented empty glass bottles of getting dumped into landfills and turned it into sands, making it commercially viable.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Secretary-General of United Nations: António Guterres.
All the Best BA’ians for RBI Assistant Mains!