- The Bill proposes a scheme to allow cashless treatment of victims in a road accident during the golden hour. The golden hour is defined as the time period of up to one hour following a traumatic injury, during which the likelihood of preventing death through prompt medical care is the highest.
- The Bill proposes to increase the minimum compensation for hit and run cases. In case of the death, the compensation has been raised from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 2,00,000, and in case of grievous injury it will be from Rs. 12500 to Rs. 50,000.
- The new law also allows the centre to ask manufacturers to recall vehicles in case of defects that cause harm to the environment.
- The law has proposed stiffer penalties for traffic rule violations such as over-speeding, dangerous driving, driving under the influence of alcohol and other offences such as not wearing a helmet or driving without licence.
i. “One Nation One Ration Card” scheme to be rolled out in India from June 1, 2020. To implement the scheme successfully, the centre has kick started inter state portability of ration card pairing two states each.
ii. The pairs are made between Telangana-Andhra Pradesh as well as Maharashtra-Gujarat. This means that beneficiaries living in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh can buy their quota of ration from the Public Distribution System (PDS), also called ration shops, in either of the states.
Static/Current Takeaways Important For IBPS RRB PO Mains:
- Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution: Ram Vilas Paswan.
i. The Khadi and Village Industry Commission has launched “Leather Mission” on World Tribal Day. Under this mission, the commission will give leather kits to the leather artisans across the nation.
ii. KVIC also distributed 50 leather kits and 350 bee-boxes in Rajasthan’s Sirohi district on the World Tribal Day.
Static/Current Takeaways Important For EPFO/LIC ADO Mains:
- Chairman of KVIC: Vinai Kumar Saxena.
i. The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, hosted an ‘At Home’ reception for freedom fighters.
ii. The reception was hosted on the occasion of the 77th anniversary of Quit India Day (August 9) at Rashtrapati Bhavan. On the occasion, the President honoured and felicitated 78 freedom fighters from across the country.
- Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Indian Bank: Padmaja Chunduru.
6. UP’s “Vriksharopan Mahakumbh” drive creates world record
- Chief Minister of UP: Yogi Adityanath; Governor of UP: Anandiben Patel.
- Director General of NADA: Navin Agarwal; CEO of BCCI: Rahul Johri.
- Chief of the Naval Staff: Admiral Karambir Singh.