Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 13 February 2024. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on “Water Warrior” City, PLFS Data Analysis, “Maha Swaapnikudu” Book, International Epilepsy Day 2024.
Top 24 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 13 February 2024
1.India to Replace Military Personnel with Technical Staff in Maldives
- India has announced the replacement of military personnel operating aviation platforms in the Maldives with competent Indian technical personnel.
- MEA Spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal confirmed the decision, stating that the current military personnel will be substituted with skilled technical personnel. This move aims to maintain operational expertise while addressing the Maldives’ request for the withdrawal of Indian troops.
- The first aircraft’s military personnel will be replaced by Indian technical personnel by March 10. Replacement of military personnel in the remaining two aircraft will be finalized by May 10.
2.Gupteswar Forest, Odisha’s New Biodiversity Heritage Site
- Odisha has taken a significant step towards conservation by declaring the Gupteswar forest in Koraput district as its fourth Biodiversity Heritage Site (BHS).
- This declaration marks a pivotal moment in the state’s environmental conservation efforts, joining the ranks of Mandasaru, Mahendragiri, and Gandhamardan, which have previously been recognized for their unique biodiversity.
- The Gupteswar forest spans over 350 hectares. This area is not just a haven for a wide array of flora and fauna but also holds a sacred significance, with its groves traditionally worshipped by the local community.
3.Hyderabad’s 36th National Book Fair: February 9-19
- The NTR Stadium in Hyderabad hosts the 36th edition of the National Book Fair. Organized by the Hyderabad Book Fair Society, the event kicked off on February 9. The book fair runs until February 19.
- Drawing bibliophiles (People who love and collect books) from all corners of the city, the fair is a highly anticipated annual event. The fair aims to revive the reading culture.
- The venue is named after civil rights activist Gaddar. The stage bears the name of Ravva Srihari, a renowned scholar in Sanskrit and Telugu. A monument honoring Telangana martyrs is erected on the exhibition premises.
4.Uttar Pradesh Implements Semiconductor Policy: Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath Addresses Assembly Queries
- During the state assembly’s budget discussion, CM Yogi responded to queries from the opposition, emphasizing the importance of stability and sustainability in driving infrastructure and industrial development in Uttar Pradesh.
- He highlighted the proactive measures taken by the state government, including the establishment of the Bundelkhand Industrial Development Authority (BIDA) between Kanpur and Jhansi, a significant development after 46 years.
- CM Yogi underscored the strategic importance of semiconductors in advancing industrial growth. Situated between Kanpur and Jhansi, this location marks a significant achievement after 46 years.
5.Defence Minister Unveils The Statue General Bipin Rawat In Dehradun
- In a memorable event at TonsBridge School in Dehradun, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and Uttarakhand’s CM Pushkar Singh Dhami unveiled a statue of General Bipin Rawat, who was India’s first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS).
- During the event, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh shared stories of General Rawat’s courage and dedication. He talked about a incident which motivated General Rawat to improve the operations of the Indian Army along the borders with Pakistan and China when he was the Army Chief and later as the CDS.
- Singh praised General Rawat for his commitment to the country’s security and his role as a true symbol of the military’s values. He mentioned how General Rawat’s life motto, ‘Die with your boots on,’ showed his dedication to duty until his last breath.
6.Urban Jobless Rate in India Declines to 6.5% in Q3FY24: PLFS Data Analysis
- The latest Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) data released by the National Statistical Office indicates a continued improvement in India’s urban labour markets.
- The urban jobless rate has decreased to 6.5% from 6.6% in the previous quarter, showing a steady decline from the peak of 12.6% during the Covid-affected quarter of FY22.
- Although the unemployment rate among women remains stagnant at 8.6%, there is a decrease among men to 5.8% from 6% in the previous quarter. Additionally, the unemployment rate for the young (15-29) has sharply decreased to 16.5% in Q3 from 17.3% in Q2, indicating a robust labor market for first-time job seekers.
7.India’s Retail inflation is at 3-mth low to 5.1% in Jan, IIP witnessed 3.8% growth in Dec
- In January 2024, India’s retail inflation reached a three-month low of 5.1%, while the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) exhibited a growth of 3.8% in December 2023, showcasing a favorable trend in both sectors.
- Consumer Price Index (CPI) indicates a 5.1% year-on-year (Y-o-Y) retail inflation rate in January 2024, down from 5.69% in December and 6.52% in January last year.
- Notable decline attributed to moderation in prices of cereals, milk, and fruit, while vegetables, pulses, and spices sustain double-digit inflation. Protein-rich items like meat and eggs experience slight price acceleration.
8.RCF Plans To Launch Vande Metro Prototype By April
- The Rail Coach Factory (RCF) aims to roll out the first prototype of the Vande Metro coach by April. A total of 16 such coaches are expected to be ready by the later part of the 2024-25 financial year.
- The Vande Metro is designed on the concept of India’s first indigenous semi-high-speed train, Vande Bharat, catering to intercity passengers covering distances of up to 250 km.
- Vande Metro coaches will enhance passenger experience and accessibility, with each coach capable of carrying 280 passengers (100 seating capacity and 180 standing capacity). The 3×3 bench-type seating arrangement maximizes passenger capacity for a comfortable medium-distance commute.
9.Paytm Explores Third-Party Path for Easy UPI Access
- Paytm’s parent company, One97 Communications, is exploring transitioning its payments service into a third-party payment app (TPAP) to ensure uninterrupted access to the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) for its customers.
- Talks have begun with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the governing body overseeing the UPI ecosystem in the country.
- By adopting the third-party payment app model, Paytm aims to align itself with other major players in the UPI space, such as PhonePe, Google Pay, and Amazon Pay.
Important Days News
10.145th Birth Anniversary of Sarojini Naidu, National Women’s Day
- February 13, 2024 marks the 145th birth anniversary of Sarojini Naidu, a distinguished figure in India’s struggle for independence and a celebrated poet known as the “Nightingale of India.”
- This day is also recognized as the National Women’s Day as she played a pivotal role in advocating for women’s rights. Naidu’s literary prowess earned her the title of the “Nightingale of India.”
- Her poetry, characterized by vivid imagery and lyrical quality, resonated deeply with the Indian nationalist sentiment. Published in 1912, “In the Bazaars of Hyderabad” remains one of her most celebrated works.
11.National Productivity Day 2024, Date, History, Theme & Significance
- Every year, India marks February 12 as National Productivity Day, launching the beginning of the Indian Productivity Week, which lasts until February 18.
- With AI as the focal point of National Productivity Day 2024, the NPC highlights the technology’s potential as a catalyst for economic growth.
- This year’s theme, “Artificial Intelligence (AI) – Productivity Engine for Economic Growth,” is a testament to the NPC’s vision of harnessing cutting-edge technologies to propel India’s economic growth.
12.International Epilepsy Day 2024
- International Epilepsy Day, observed on the 2nd Monday of February each year, is a pivotal event in the global healthcare calendar that aims to unite individuals affected by epilepsy.
- This year, the day was marked on 12 February 2024, underlining the ongoing efforts to foster community and support among epilepsy patients worldwide.
- The theme for International Epilepsy Day 2024, “Milestones on My Epilepsy Journey”, emphasizes the importance of recognizing and celebrating personal achievements amidst the challenges posed by epilepsy.
13.Prime Minister Narendra Modi Unveils ‘PM Surya Ghar: Muft Bijli Yojana’
- Under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has announced the launch of an ambitious scheme – the ‘PM Surya Ghar: Muft Bijli Yojana’.
- Aimed at fostering a greener future and facilitating the nation’s march towards energy self-sufficiency, this initiative is set to revolutionize the energy landscape of India.
- This pioneering project, with an earmarked investment exceeding Rs 75,000 crore, is designed to illuminate one crore households across the country by providing up to 300 units of free electricity every month, generated through solar power.
14.Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Enhances Pension under MBPY
- In a move aimed at providing relief to beneficiaries of social security schemes in Odisha, CM Naveen Patnaik has announced a significant increase in monthly pension amounts under the Madhu Babu Pension Yojana (MBPY).
- A total of 36.75 lakh beneficiaries, including elderly individuals, widows, persons with disabilities, unmarried women, AIDS patients, transgender individuals, orphan children, and widows of COVID victims, will receive support.
- The new monthly amounts are set at Rs 1,000 for individuals aged up to 79 and Rs 1,200 for those aged 80 and above. This initiative aims to provide crucial financial assistance to vulnerable groups, ensuring their well-being and dignity.
Summits & Conferences News
15.7th Indian Ocean Conference Held In Perth, Australia
- The 7th Indian Ocean Conference recently convened in Perth, Australia, drawing together leaders, ministers, and officials from Indian Ocean rim countries.
- Organized by India Foundation in collaboration with the Ministry of External Affairs and Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the conference aimed to address diverse issues under the theme “Towards a Stable and Sustainable Indian Ocean.”
- The IOC aims to foster Security and Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR) by uniting critical states and principal maritime partners in dialogue and cooperation.
16.67th All India Police Duty Meet: RPF Hosts in Lucknow
- The Railway Protection Force (RPF) is organizing the 67th All India Police Duty Meet (AIPDM) in Lucknow from February 12th to 16th, 2024.
- This event, entrusted to the RPF by the Central Coordinating Committee of AIPDM, aims to foster excellence and collaboration among police officers, enhancing internal security through scientific crime detection and investigation
- DG RPF, Shri Manoj Yadava, also launched a mobile app and website by RPF’s Tech Group for the 67th AIPDM. These platforms enhance communication, offer real-time updates, and ease participation.
17.Noida Recognized As “Water Warrior” City
- The Department of Water Resources, River Development, and Ganga Rejuvenation, under the Union Water Ministry, has honored Noida with the title of “Water Warrior” city.
- The city clinched the title of the best sewage treatment plant (STP) and also received accolades for its water reuse project of the year.
- Satish Pal, the additional chief executive officer of the Noida Authority, along with RP Singh, the deputy general manager of the authority’s water department, received these awards on behalf of the city.
Books & Authors News
18.A book titled “Maha Swaapnikudu” launched by former Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu
- The recent book release event for ‘Maha Swaapnikudu’ (A Great Visionary) marks a significant moment in the political discourse of India, celebrating the illustrious career of former Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu.
- Authored by journalist P. Vikram and published by NRI Koduri Venkat, this book was unveiled by former Supreme Court judge V. Gopala Gowda, shining a spotlight on Naidu’s remarkable journey in Indian politics.
- As the chair of the United Front and later supporting the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), Naidu showcased his strategic acumen and influence in national politics, making decisions that would shape the future of India’s governance.
19.Sumit Nagal Clinches Chennai Open Title, Secures First-Ever Top 100 Spot
- Sumit Nagal has rise to the top 100 which is a testament to his resilience and determination.Nagal’s journey began in 2023 when he played as a player ranked 506 in the world and qualified for the ATP Chennai Open Challenger.
- His success in Chennai Challenger last year marked the beginning of his resurgence after surgery. Nagal’s victory in the ATP Chennai Open Challenger on February 12, 2024, saw him rise from 121 to 98 in the ATP rankings.
- This achievement marked the first time Nagal entered the top 100 in his career. Only 10 Indian men have ever reached the top 100 since the introduction of ATP rankings in 1973.
Science & Technology News
20.IIT Guwahati Unveils SWASTHA Project & ISO 5/6 Clean Room For Nanotech
- Shri S. Krishnan, inaugurated the groundbreaking SWASTHA project and the state-of-the-art ISO 5 and 6 Clean Room Facilities at IIT Guwahati’s Centre for Nanotechnology on 9th February 2024.
- First of their kind in the North Eastern region of India, it aims to revolutionize nanoelectronics and nanomaterial fabrication, semiconductor devices development, and quantum technologies.
- Jointly sponsored by MeitY and IIT Guwahati, it is supported by MeitY, focusing on delivering high-quality products and prototypes in micro/nano electronics and nanomaterials.
21.Renowned Litterateur & Padma Shri Awardee Usha Kiran Khan Passes Away
- The literary world mourns the loss of Usha Kiran Khan, a distinguished writer and Padma Shri awardee, who passed away at the age of 78 after a brief illness in a private hospital on Sunday.
- Khan was bestowed with the Padma Shri in 2015, one of the highest civilian honors in India, acknowledging her exceptional contribution to literature.
- Her other accolades include the Sahitya Akademi Award, Mahadevi Verma Award, Dinakar National Award, and the Bharat-Bharati, among others, highlighting her illustrious career and dedication to the craft of writing.
22.World marathon record holder Kelvin Kiptum dies in road accident
- Kelvin Kiptum, the men’s marathon world record holder, and his coach, Gervais Hakizimana, met with a tragic end in a traffic accident on the night of February 12, 2024.
- At only 24 years of age, Kiptum had already made history at the Chicago Marathon in October by setting a new world record of 2:00:35, surpassing the previous record held by his compatriot Eliud Kipchoge.
- The fatal crash occurred between the towns of Eldoret and Kaptagat in western Kenya, an area known for its significance in the training of elite distance runners. The accident claimed the lives of Kiptum and his Rwandan coach, leaving the athletics community in shock and despair.
23.Luxury Train ‘Palace On Wheels’ To Begin Spiritual Journey
- After 42 years of its existence, the Palace on Wheels luxury train is set to embark on a new route, delving into the sacred Indian cities of Ayodhya, Kashi, and Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
- The Palace on Wheels, renowned for its opulence and comfort, has long been synonymous with exploring the royal heritage of Rajasthan.
- It will now offer a six-day spiritual journey, traversing from Delhi to Ayodhya, Prayagraj, Varanasi, Mathura, and Vrindavan. This religious tour aims to provide passengers with a profound immersion into the cultural and spiritual tapestry of India.
24.Chief Secretary Dulloo Inaugurates 2nd edition of the SARAS Aajeevika Mela
- Chief Secretary Atal Dulloo inaugurated the 2nd edition of the SARAS Aajeevika Mela, organized by the Jammu & Kashmir Rural Livelihoods Mission (JKRLM).
- The primary objective of SARAS Aajeevika Mela is to empower rural women by providing a direct market for their products, enhancing their marketing skills, and fostering cultural exchange.
- Through exhibitions, sales, and cultural programs, the Mela aims to promote economic empowerment and preserve cultural heritage.
13 FEBRUARY CURRENT AFFAIRS 2024 | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR