Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 24 January 2024. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on India Aids Afghanistan, Bihar CM Awarded Bharat Ratna, National Girl Child Day 2024.
Top 18 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 24 January 2024
1.The Doomsday Clock: A Symbol of Humanity’s Peril
- The Doomsday Clock, created by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, symbolizes humanity’s proximity to global catastrophes from technology and environmental issues. Recently, the Doomsday Clock, has drawn significant attention due to its alarming setting close to midnight.
- The Doomsday Clock was created in 1947, two years after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Initially, the clock was a symbol of nuclear threat. It has since evolved to encompass a broader range of dangers, including climate change, emerging technologies, and biological hazards.
2.India Aids Afghanistan With 40,000 Liters Of Malathion Against Locust Threat
- In a remarkable display of goodwill and humanitarian assistance, the Indian government has stepped forward to aid the Afghan people in confronting the locust menace.
- The generous support comes in the form of 40,000 litres of Malathion, an environmentally friendly pesticide known for its efficacy in arid regions and minimal water usage.
- Malathion has proven to be a crucial tool in locust control, making it an ideal choice for combating the infestation in Afghanistan. Its effectiveness in arid regions aligns with the country’s climate, and its minimal water usage addresses environmental concerns.
3.Iran’s Military Receives Advanced Homegrown Drones
- The Iranian army marked a significant milestone in its defense capabilities as it formally received a substantial number of domestically developed reconnaissance and combat drones in a ceremony held on January 23, 2024.
- The event, attended by the Iranian Army’s Chief Commander Abdolrahim Mousavi and Defense Minister Mohammad-Reza Ashtiani, showcased the latest advancements in unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) technology.
- The delivered UAVs encompass a diverse range of capabilities, including the multipurpose Ababil-4 and Ababil-5, Arash, Bavar, and Karrar jet-powered target drones. Each drone is tailored to specific mission profiles, highlighting the versatility of Iran’s indigenous drone technology.
4.India And Egypt Armies Unite For Exercise Cyclone’s Special Operations
- The Indian Army contingent, comprised of 25 highly skilled personnel from The Parachute Regiment (Special Forces), has arrived in Egypt to participate in the eagerly awaited 2nd edition of the India-Egypt Joint Special Forces Exercise CYCLONE.
- The Indian contingent will be joined by counterparts from the Egyptian Commando Squadron and the Egyptian Airborne Platoon, totaling another 25 personnel.
- The primary objective of Exercise CYCLONE is to familiarize both the Indian and Egyptian special forces with each other’s operating procedures in the context of Special Operations in desert and semi-desert terrain.
5.Union Budget of India
- In accordance with Article 112 of the Constitution of India, the government is mandated to present the Union Budget at the Parliament before the commencement of each financial year. This budget outlines the projected receivables and payables for the upcoming fiscal year, running from April 1st to March 31st.
- The Union Budget plays a pivotal role in shaping the economic trajectory of India, aiming for rapid and balanced growth, social justice, and equality. The following key objectives underscore its significance:
- The budget dictates changes in direct and indirect taxes, including alterations to income tax rates and tax brackets, shaping the financial landscape of the country. For instance, the income tax slab for the fiscal year 2020-21 is determined by the budget.
6.RBI Announces Revised Eligibility Norms for Urban Co-operative Banks (UCBs) Inclusion in Second Schedule
- In a recent press release, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) disclosed the revision of eligibility norms for the inclusion of urban co-operative banks in the second schedule of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934. The objective is to bring these banks under an updated regulatory framework.
- The Government of India, through a notification dated Sep 04, 2023, has stated that licensed Tier 3 and Tier 4 Primary (Urban) Co-operative Banks meeting the criteria for FSWM by the RBI are eligible.
- To be considered for inclusion in the Second Schedule, UCBs must meet the following criteria: a) Capital Adequacy: Maintain a Capital to Risk Weighted Asset Ratio (CRAR) of at least 3% more than the minimum CRAR requirement applicable to the UCB. b) Regulatory and Supervisory Compliance: Have no major regulatory and supervisory concerns.
7.Competition Commission of India Greenlights JSW Group’s 38% stake buy in MG Motor India
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has given the nod to significant business transactions. Among the approved deals is the JSW Group’s strategic move to acquire a substantial 38% stake in MG Motor India.
- CCI has also approved the merger between Fincare Small Finance Bank Limited and AU Small Finance Bank, designating AU Small Finance Bank as the surviving entity.
- Tata Electronics has received CCI approval for the complete acquisition of Wistron Infocomm Manufacturing (India) Pvt Ltd. CCI has granted approval for Burman Family entities, namely Puran Associates, M.B Finmart, VIC Enterprises, & Milky Investment, to acquire shareholding in Religare Enterprises.
8.Petroleum Ministry Approves ONGC’s Green Energy Unit
- The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas has granted approval for the formation of a subsidiary company by the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC), dedicated to the green energy and gas sector.
- The newly approved subsidiary, tentatively named “ONGC Green Limited,” is slated to be a wholly-owned entity of ONGC. However, the proposed name is subject to the approval of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India.
- The subsidiary is envisioned to engage in various aspects of the energy sector’s value chain, focusing on green hydrogen, hydrogen blending, renewable energy (solar, wind, and hybrid), biofuels, biogas, and liquefied natural gas (LNG).
9.India’s First Self-Made Aircraft Seat Unveiled At Wings India 2024
- In a significant milestone for the Indian aviation industry, Timetooth, a Bengaluru-based engineering company, has unveiled India’s first-ever domestically manufactured aircraft passenger seat at the Wings India 2024 event.
- This groundbreaking development marks a departure from the industry norm, where 100% of aircraft seats used by India’s registered air travel companies are imported.
- Timetooth, in collaboration with the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and with support from Indian airline companies took the initiative to launch India’s first indigenous aircraft passenger seat.
Important Days News
10.National Girl Child Day 2024
- National Girl Child Day, observed annually on January 24th in India, plays a pivotal role in highlighting the importance of empowering girls and addressing the challenges they face in society.
- Initiated in 2008 by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, this day marks a commitment to promote gender equality, empower girls, and protect their rights.
- The first NGCD was celebrated with the theme “Saving our Girls: Educating our Girls.” Since then, it has been observed annually with various themes, each underscoring the need to empower and address specific challenges faced by girls.
11.International Day of Education 2024
- Celebrated on January 24th each year, the International Day of Education is a pivotal occasion to underscore the importance of education for all.
- In 2024, this day will be observed under the theme “Learning for Lasting Peace,” emphasizing the transformative nature of education in promoting peace and understanding.
- The United Nations General Assembly declared January 24th as the International Day of Education in 2018, recognizing the fundamental role education plays in fostering peace, development, and intercultural understanding.
12.Telangana To Unveil Gruha Jyothi Scheme In February
- The Chief Minister of Telangana, Revanth Reddy, has taken significant strides to expedite the implementation of various welfare schemes, including the much-anticipated Gruha Jyothi Scheme.
- Minister Komatireddy Venkat Reddy announced that the Gruha Jyothi Scheme’s free electricity component will be set in motion from the beginning of February.
- As a part of this scheme, every household possessing a Below Poverty Line (BPL) card will receive 200 units of electricity free of charge starting February. For households with electricity consumption within the 200-unit threshold, there will be no electricity charges.
Ranks & Reports News
13.Indian Equity Market Surpasses Hong Kong, Ranks 4th Globally with $4.33 Trillion Market Cap
- India’s equity market has outpaced Hong Kong’s Hang Seng, securing the fourth position globally with a market capitalization of $4.33 trillion. This milestone, underscores the nation’s robust economic standing.
- The US remains the largest stock market with a staggering $50.86 trillion market cap, followed by China at $8.44 trillion and Japan at $6.36 trillion.
- Factors Driving India’s Success are: 1)Retail Investor Surge: A growing retail investor base has contributed significantly. 2) Global Investor Appeal: India’s stable political environment and a consumption-driven economy make it an attractive alternative to China, drawing fresh capital from global investors.
14.Serum Institute Partners With CEPI For Affordable Outbreak Vaccines
- In a significant development for global health preparedness, the Serum Institute of India (SII) has joined the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) network of vaccine producers in the Global South.
- This collaborative effort aims to strengthen the response to future public health disease outbreaks through rapid, agile, and equitable means.
- CEPI, a global partnership dedicated to preventing epidemics, is investing up to $30 million to expand SII’s manufacturing capacity.
- The objective is to enable swift production and supply of investigational vaccines in the face of epidemic and pandemic threats. The collaboration between CEPI and SII aligns with the ambitious 100 Days Mission, a goal embraced by the G7, G20, and industry leaders.
15.Former Bihar CM Karpoori Thakur Awarded Bharat Ratna Posthumously
- The Government of India has announced that former Bihar Chief Minister, Karpoori Thakur, will be posthumously awarded the Bharat Ratna, the nation’s highest civilian award.
- Karpoori Thakur (1924-1988) left an indelible mark on Bihar’s political scene, championing social justice and connecting deeply with the backward classes.
- He served as Bihar’s Chief Minister twice, first from December 1970 to June 1971 and again from December 1977 to April 1979.
16.Oscars 2024 Nominations Announced
- The 96th annual Academy Awards nominations have been unveiled, with Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” securing an impressive 13 major nominations.
- Not far behind, “Poor Things,” “Barbie,” and “Killers of the Flower Moon” also garnered significant recognition, promising a competitive and star-studded Oscars ceremony.
- In the category of Actress in a Leading Role, notable performances have garnered attention. Annette Bening shines in “Nyad,” while Lily Gladstone captivates audiences in “Killers of the Flower Moon. Additionally, Emma Stone showcases her talent in “Poor Things.”
17.Man Singh Clinches Gold at the Asian Marathon Championships 2024 in Hong Kong
- The Asian Marathon Championships 2024 marked a historic moment for Indian athletics as Man Singh, a 34-year-old marathon runner from India, clinched the gold medal.
- Man Singh completed the marathon with a personal best timing of 2 hours, 14 minutes, and 19 seconds, comfortably defeating runner-up Huang Yongzheng of China by a substantial margin of 65 seconds
- This performance also surpassed his previous personal best of 2:16:58, recorded at the Mumbai Marathon in 2023. He also became the only the second Indian to claim the title of the Asian marathon champion, following Thonakal Gopi’s achievement in 2017.
18.ICC Awards 2023: Rohit Sharma named captain of ICC ODI team of the year
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) announced five ICC Teams of the Year across formats for men and women as part of the ICC Awards 2023. Six Indians were featured in the ICC Men’s ODI team of the year with Rohit Sharma named as the captain of the 11-member team.
- The announcement of the five teams – the ICC Men’s and Women’s T20I Teams of the Year, the ICC Men’s and Women’s ODI Teams of the Year and the ICC Men’s Test Team of the Year – were made in a staggered manner over Monday and Tuesday and feature players from 11 teams selected based on international performances through the calendar year.
24 JANUARY CURRENT AFFAIRS 2024 | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR