Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 25 January 2024. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on India-Oman IT Cooperation, MoU World’s First ‘Black Tiger Safari,’ National Voters’ Day 2024.
Top 20 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 25 January 2024
1.Vice-President Launches ‘Hamara Samvidhan, Hamara Samman’ Campaign for India’s 75th Republic Year
- In a landmark event at Dr Ambedkar International Centre, Vice-President Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar launched the nationwide campaign ‘Hamara Samvidhan, Hamara Samman’ to mark India’s 75th year as a Republic.
- The initiative seeks to reinforce commitment to constitutional principles, fostering pride and responsibility among citizens. Under the ‘Hamara Samvidhan Hamara Samman’ campaign, efforts focus on legally empowering marginalized communities, ensuring their access to justice.
- The event also unveiled the achievement booklet of the Access to Justice Scheme, ‘Designing Innovative Solutions for Holistic Access to Justice’ (DISHA).
2.President Droupadi Murmu Inaugurates Kaushal Bhawan: Paving the Path for Skill Empowerment
- In a historic moment, President Droupadi Murmu inaugurated Kaushal Bhawan, symbolizing India’s unwavering commitment to empowering its youth through skill development.
- Under the aegis of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE), the Bhawan is set to catalyze the realization of aspirations and nurture the nation’s young talent, steering India toward a more skilled future.
- Kaushal Bhawan, equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure, provides an ideal environment for ideation, collaboration, and execution of groundbreaking skill development initiatives.
- The building’s design incorporates environmental responsibility by preserving two towering trees, exemplifying a model for sustainable development.
3.Saudi Arabia to Open First Alcohol Store for Diplomats
- In a groundbreaking move, Saudi Arabia is preparing to open its first alcohol store, exclusively for diplomats. This significant development represents a notable shift in the Kingdom’s approach to alcohol, which has traditionally been banned under its strict interpretation of Islamic law.
- Historically, Saudi Arabia has enforced a strict prohibition on the sale and consumption of alcohol. This policy aligns with the conservative religious principles that govern many aspects of life in the Kingdom.
- This initiative is seen as a step towards accommodating the lifestyles of foreign diplomats living in the Kingdom, making it a more hospitable environment for international relations.
4.Cabinet Approval for India-Oman IT Cooperation MoU
- The Union Cabinet, led by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has given the green light for the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Oman in the field of Information Technology (IT).
- The MoU, inked on December 15, 2023, between the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology of India and Oman’s Ministry of Transport, Communications, and Information Technology, aims to foster comprehensive collaboration through mutual support, technology sharing, information exchange, and investments in IT.
- The MoU is set to be effective from the date of signing and will remain in force for three years. The envisaged collaboration is anticipated to enhance cooperation, leading to increased employment opportunities in the IT field.
5.Visakhapatnam Hosts 14th All India Police Commando Contest
- The 14th edition of the Annual All India Police Commando Competition (AIPCC) began on January 22, 2024 at the Greyhounds Training Centre in Kapuluppada, Visakhapatnam.
- Elite commando forces from 16 states are participating in this week-long competition. Commissioner A. Ravi Shankar inaugurated the event, emphasizing its significance in fostering inter-state cooperation.
- The competition has attracted elite commando forces from across the country. Notable participants include the Special Operations Group (SOG) from Odisha and Chhattisgarh, C-60 from Maharashtra, and paramilitary forces such as BSF, CRPF, Assam Rifles, ITBP, RPF, SSB, and CISF.
6.Andhra Pradesh Initiates Caste Census, Second Only To Bihar
- The YS Jagan Mohan Reddy government in Andhra Pradesh has initiated a comprehensive caste census. Andhra Pradesh now stands as the second state in the country, following Bihar, to undertake such a comprehensive caste enumeration.
- Launched with the aid of a specially designed phone app, this ambitious census aims to enumerate all castes in the state and is expected to be completed within the next 20 days to one month.
- The cornerstone of this census initiative is a dedicated phone app developed by the government, enabling a more efficient and streamlined data collection process. The app offers more than 700 caste options for the public to choose from, with a notable inclusion being the ‘No caste’ option.
7.World’s First ‘Black Tiger Safari’: Odisha’s CM Naveen Patnaik Announces
- In a groundbreaking move, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has unveiled plans for the establishment of the world’s first ‘black tiger safari’ near the Similipal Tiger Reserve (STR) in Mayurbhanj.
- This visionary project aims to provide tourists and visitors with a rare glimpse of the melanistic tigers, commonly known as black tigers, recently spotted at the Similipal National Park.
- The proposed safari site, near Baripada and spanning 200 hectares, will be strategically located adjacent to National Highway 18. Out of this area, 100 hectares will be dedicated to the display zone, while the remaining space will be utilized for essential infrastructure, including veterinary care facilities, a rescue center, staff amenities, and visitor services.
8.India, France, UAE Conduct Joint Air Exercise Over Arabian Sea
- India, France, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) conducted a major air exercise, named ‘Desert Knight’, over the Arabian Sea. This joint exercise, held on January 23, 2024, comes against the backdrop of rising global concerns over Houthi militants targeting commercial vessels in strategic waterways.
- The main focus of ‘Desert Knight’ was to enhance synergy and interoperability among the air forces of the participating countries. The exercise aimed to foster a shared understanding of operational tactics and enhance coordination in complex air scenarios.
- The exercise featured an impressive array of frontline aerial assets and combat jets. The Indian Air Force (IAF) participated with Su-30 MKI, MiG-29, and Jaguar fighter jets, along with AWACS, C-130-J transport planes, and air-to-air refuelling aircraft.
9.Indian Navy to Establish Second VLF Communication Station in Telangana
- The Indian Navy has strategically chosen Telangana as the location for its second Very Low Frequency (VLF) communication transmission station in the country.
- VLF communication is crucial for the Navy to maintain effective communication with ships and submarines, emphasizing the strategic role of the new transmission station.
- The selected site for the VLF center is the Damagudem forest area near Puduru in the Vikarabad mandal. This location was chosen after the Eastern Naval Command in Visakhapatnam identified Telangana as a suitable area for the establishment of a second radar station.
10.Direct Tax-to-GDP Ratio Hits 23-Year High in FY23: CBDT Report
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) released data, revealing that the direct tax-to-GDP ratio for the fiscal year 2022-23 (FY23) reached a remarkable 23-year high, standing at 6.11%.
- Direct tax collections witnessed a robust year-on-year growth of 17.8%, totaling Rs 16.6 trillion in FY23. Notably, corporate tax collections reached Rs 8.26 trillion, marking a 16% increase, while income tax collections stood at Rs 8.33 trillion, reflecting a significant 19.6% YoY growth.
- The total number of income tax returns filed in FY23 rose to 77.82 million, compared to 73.05 million in FY22, indicating an upward trend in tax compliance.
Important Days News
11.National Voters’ Day 2024
- The National Voters’ Day is celebrated every year in India on January 25 to encourage the country’s voters to participate in the electoral process.
- This year, it is the 14th edition which is being celebrated. In the vibrant democracy of India, where every vote is a testament to the aspirations and choices of its people, National Voters’ Day holds a special place.
- Initiated in 2011, National Voters’ Day was established by the Election Commission of India (ECI) to address a growing concern. The date, January 25, was chosen to coincide with the founding anniversary of the ECI in 1950, symbolizing a renewed commitment to democratic participation.
12.National Tourism Day 2024
- National Tourism Day, celebrated annually in India, is a significant event that highlights the importance of tourism for the country’s economy and cultural heritage.
- National Tourism Day is observed on January 25th each year. This day is earmarked to foster awareness among the international community about the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political, and economic values.
- The theme for this year is ‘Sustainable Journeys, Timeless Memories.’ It emphasises the concept of responsible and mindful travel. As a part of this day, seminars, cultural events, and other programmes are organised by the central government.
Ranks & Reports News
13.Bhopal Ranks 5th In Swachh Survekshan 2023 Cleanliness
- Bhopal, the capital city of Madhya Pradesh, has made significant strides in cleanliness, emerging as the 5th cleanest city in India among those with a population exceeding 1 lakh.
- The Bhopal Municipal Corporation’s persistent efforts have not only elevated its ranking from 6th in 2022 but also earned it a coveted 5-star Garbage Free City (GFC) rating, making it the cleanest State capital in the nation.
- Bhopal’s ascent can be attributed to a combination of best practices, innovation, and distinctiveness. The focus on scientific waste disposal, waste-to-wealth projects, recycling initiatives, and the mantra of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle (3Rs) are pivotal in Bhopal’s success.
14.Justice Prasanna B Varale Appointed Supreme Court Judge
- Justice Prasanna B Varale, currently serving as the Chief Justice of the Karnataka High Court, will now become the third sitting judge from the Dalit community in the Supreme Court.
- One of the notable aspects of Justice Varale’s appointment is that he is the senior-most High Court Judge belonging to a Scheduled Caste.
- Furthermore, he holds the distinction of being the only Chief Justice belonging to a Scheduled Caste among the Chief Justices of High Courts across the country.
15.MoD Signs Rs 1,070 Cr Deal With Mazagon Dock For 14 FPVs
- In a recent development, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) signed a contract with Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL), Mumbai, for the acquisition of 14 Fast Patrol Vessels (FPVs) for the Indian Coast Guard (ICG).
- Over the last two decades, the Indian Navy has assumed the role of a “net security provider” in the Indian Ocean, aiming to maintain a “free and open Indo-Pacific” and counterbalance China’s expanding naval presence.
- The recent contract with MDL, valued at Rs 1,070 crore, focuses on indigenously designed, developed, and manufactured FPVs under the ‘Buy (Indian-IDDM)’ acquisition category.
- The vessels are expected to be delivered within 63 months, equipped with advanced features, multipurpose drones, wirelessly controlled remote water rescue craft, lifebuoy, and artificial intelligence capabilities.
16.Ravi Shastri, Farokh Engineer Receive Col CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Awards
- Former India captain and head coach Ravi Shastri expressed his gratitude on January 21, 2024 for being awarded the prestigious Col CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award at a glittering ceremony organized by the BCCI.
- The ceremony also saw other cricketing stalwarts, such as Farokh Engineer, being honored for their contributions to the sport.
- Jasprit Bumrah, one of the key players in India’s recent cricket success, was awarded the Polly Umrigar Award for Best International Cricketer – Men.
- Shubman Gill received the Polly Umrigar Best Men’s International Cricketer of the Year award for his outstanding performance in the 2022-23 season. The awards ceremony also recognized Mohammed Shami for his excellence in international cricket.
17.Sreeja Akula Secures First Global Table Tennis Title At WTT Feeder Corpus Christi 2024
- Indian table tennis player Sreeja Akula achieved a significant milestone in her career by securing her maiden international title at the WTT Feeder Corpus Christi 2024 in Texas, USA.
- Sreeja Akula faced a formidable opponent in the final, going up against world No. 46 Lily Zhang of the USA, a three-time Olympian.
- In a convincing display of prowess, Sreeja defeated Lily Zhang 3-0 (11-6, 18-16, 11-5) to claim the top spot on the podium. The final lasted just over 30 minutes, showcasing Sreeja’s command over the game.
18.ICC Awards 2023
- The ICC Awards 2023, organized by the International Cricket Council, represents the pinnacle of recognition for international cricket players.
- Bas de Leede was named as the ICC Men’s Associate Cricketer of the Year 2023 for his remarkable all-round run in the year. He was the standout player for the Netherlands at the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 Qualifier and the World Cup in India.
- Queentor Abel made Kenya proud by winning the ICC Women’s Associate Cricketer of the Year for 2023. She picked 30 T20I wickets at an unreal average of 7.36, and scored 476 T20I runs at 34.
Science & Technology News
19.CoRover.ai Introduces BharatGPT, India’s First Large Language Model
- CoRover.ai, a leading player in the Conversational AI space, has recently introduced BharatGPT, India’s first Large Language Model (LLM).
- This groundbreaking development aims to revolutionize AI conversations across 22 Indian languages, addressing the language diversity challenges prevalent in the country.
- Positioned as an Indigenous Generative AI platform, BharatGPT integrates seamlessly with both voice and text modalities, offering a unique solution to the complexities of linguistic diversity.
- One of the notable achievements of BharatGPT is its extensive language integration. The model proudly supports voice modality in over 12 Indian languages and text modality in a whopping 22 languages.
20.Norman Jewison, director of ‘In the Heat of the Night’, passes away aged 97
- Norman Jewison, the acclaimed Canadian director best known for his work on the classic film ‘In the Heat of the Night’, has passed away at the age of 97.
- Jewison’s filmography includes a diverse range of genres, from comedies like ‘The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming’ to thought-provoking dramas such as ‘A Soldier’s Story’.
- However, it was ‘In the Heat of the Night’, a film that dealt with racism and prejudice in the American South, that cemented his status as a director of great substance and vision. The film won five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, and remains a significant work in the history of American cinema.
25 JANUARY CURRENT AFFAIRS 2024 | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR