Read the most important current affairs of 29 August 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on IDFC First Bank, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY), National Small Industry Day 2023.
Top 17 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 29 August 2023
1.A Chapter On National War Memorial Included In NCERT Curriculum Of Class VII From This Year
- The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has taken a significant step towards fostering patriotism and inculcating core values in school children by introducing a new chapter in the Class 7 English textbook titled “A Homage to Our Brave Soldiers”.
- The newly incorporated chapter provides an insightful exploration into the history and importance of the National War Memorial. It delves into the monumental sacrifice offered by the valiant soldiers of the Armed Forces post-independence.
- The National War Memorial, known as Rashtriya Samar Smarak in Hindi, stands as a powerful tribute to the heroic soldiers who have selflessly laid down their lives to protect the nation. Inaugurated in January 2019, this national monument holds a special place in the hearts of Indians.
2.India, Asian Development Bank to set up climate change and health hub in Delhi
- India is now all set to open a climate change and health hub in the national capital Delhi in partnership with the Asian Development Bank (ADB). The new hub for climate change and health will facilitate knowledge sharing, promote partnerships and innovations, and also help countries beyond the G-20, especially developing countries.
- This hub will prioritize climate-resilient health systems development, build sustainable and low-carbon/low greenhouse gas (GHG) emission health systems and healthcare supply chains that deliver high-quality healthcare, mobilize resources for resilient, low-carbon sustainable health systems.
- The new Climate Change and Health Hub in New Delhi will help countries all over the world to address to identify new drivers and address the existing drivers using a science and risk-based approach, and to strengthen existing infectious disease surveillance systems.
3.President Murmu Releases Commemorative Coin On Former Andhra Pradesh CM N T Rama Rao
- President Droupadi Murmu unveiled a commemorative coin in honor of the legendary actor and former chief minister of Andhra Pradesh, late N T Rama Rao. The ceremony took place at the esteemed Rashtrapati Bhavan Cultural Centre, marking the centenary year of N T Rama Rao’s remarkable life and contributions.
- In a heartfelt address during the event, President Murmu paid tribute to N T Rama Rao’s significant impact on Indian cinema and culture, particularly through his exceptional body of work in Telugu films. Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao (N T Rama Rao) assumed the role of Chief Minister for three consecutive terms in United Andhra Pradesh from 1983 to 1995.
- President Murmu extended her appreciation to the Union Ministry of Finance for their initiative in creating the commemorative coin as a tribute to N T Rama Rao. The coin serves as a symbol of remembrance and admiration for the immense contributions and influence of this iconic figure.
4.Akashvani organizes event related to KIP under the aegis of Ministry of External Affairs
- Akashvani, India’s national public radio broadcaster, organized a special event in New Delhi as part of the Know India Programme (KIP), an initiative under the aegis of Ministry of External Affairs. The event witnessed the participation of around 55 students of Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) who had gathered from various corners of the world.
- The event organized on 28th August in New Delhi marks the 67th edition of the Know India Programme (KIP), an evident to the sustained commitment of the Ministry of External Affairs to connect with the Indian diaspora youth.
- Know India Programme, launched on 8th January 2014, is a government initiative for the Indian diaspora between the age group of 18 to 30 years. The purpose of Know India Programme is to help Persons of Indian Origin youths familiarize with their roots and contemporary India and provide them exposure to the country of their origin.
5.Draupadi Murmu released Postage Stamp in memory of Dadi Prakashmani
- President Draupadi Murmu unveiled a postage stamp in memory of Dadi Prakashmani at the Rashtrapati Bhavan Cultural Centre. This initiative has been taken on the 16th death anniversary of Dadi Prakashmani under the ‘My Stamp’ initiative of the Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications.
- This initiative stands as an evident to the enduring influence and remarkable contribution of Dadi Prakashmani to both spirituality and society. The stamp not only immortalizes her legacy but also symbolizes the timeless wisdom she imparted and the positive change she brought.
- Dadi Prakashmani, former chief of Brahma Kumaris, played a pivotal role in the Brahma Kumaris organization. Her life was dedicated to spreading Indian values and culture across the nation and beyond, through the path of spirituality. Her leadership guided the Brahma Kumaris to become the world’s largest women-led spiritual institution.
6.IDFC First Bank Grabs 3-Year Title Sponsorship for BCCI Matches at Rs 4.2 Crore Per Match
- On 25th August, the Indian Cricket Board announced that the IDFC First Bank has grabbed the title rights for home international series of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for three years. The IDFC First Bank will provide a sum of Rs.4.2 crore per international match.
- The agreement between IDFC First Bank and BCCI covers a total of 56 matches, spanning across the next three years. This exciting lineup includes 15 One Day Internationals (ODIs), 15 test matches and 26 T20 matches.
- The BCCI stated that the contract will commence for a three-year long period starting from the three-match ODI series that India will host against Australia. The tournament will mark the beginning of an era where IDFC First Bank and BCCI came together to create unparalleled experiences for cricket enthusiasts.
7.SBI launches Aadhaar-Based Enrolment For Social Security Schemes
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has taken a significant step towards enhancing financial inclusivity and social welfare by introducing an innovative Customer Service Points (CSP) functionality. This functionality allows customers to seamlessly enrol in essential social security schemes using just their Aadhaar cards.
- This strategic step aims to make the process of accessing social security schemes smoother and more accessible to all individuals, especially those who have faced challenges in navigating traditional financial systems.
- With this groundbreaking feature, customers visiting SBI’s Customer Service Points (CSPs) will find enrolling in crucial social security schemes a breeze. By leveraging the power of Aadhaar, India’s unique biometric identification system, customers can enrol in key schemes such as the Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY), Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY), and Atal Pension Yojana (APY).
8.FDI Equity Inflows Decline 34% To $10.94 Billion In April-June 2023
- The latest government data reveals a noteworthy decline in Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows into India during the first quarter of the fiscal year 2023-24. The decline, amounting to 34%, saw FDI plummeting to $10.94 billion from $16.58 billion in the same period of the previous fiscal year.
- This downward trend was primarily influenced by reduced investments in key sectors such as computer hardware and software, telecommunications, automotive, and pharmaceuticals.
- FDI equity inflows from major countries have experienced a decrease. Countries like Singapore, Mauritius, the United States (US), the United Kingdom (UK), and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have all reported reduced FDI equity inflows during the quarter under consideration.
9.Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) Completes Nine Years Of Successful Implementation
- The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) – the National Mission for Financial Inclusion – completes nine years of successful implementation. Launched on 28th August 2014 by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, the PMJDY stands as one of the most extensive financial inclusion initiatives globally, aimed at liberating the economically marginalized from a cycle of poverty.
- Over 50 crore individuals have been brought into the formal banking system through Jan Dhan Accounts, with around 55.5% of these accounts belonging to women. Rural and semi-urban areas account for 67% of these accounts.
- Union Minister of State for Finance Dr. Bhagwat Kisanrao Karad emphasized that the PMJDY has diminished financial untouchability, extending formal banking services to marginalized sections. This inclusivity has led to increased access to credit, insurance, pensions, and greater financial awareness.
Summits and Conferences News
10.India Officially Hands Over B20 Presidency to Brazil to Host G20 Summit in 2024
- In a significant development for global business and economic collaboration, India has gracefully handed over the B20 presidency to Brazil, making the transition towards the G20 summit in 2024.
- The three day B20 summit, hosted by India from 25th August to 27th August, was characterized by the theme “R.A.I.S.E.”- Responsible, Accelerated, Innovative, Sustainable and Equitable Business. The summit brought together over 1,500 delegates representing approximately 55 countries, creating an atmosphere conducive to insightful discussions and multifaceted deliberations.
- Established in 2010, B20 is among the most prominent Engagement groups in G20. Comprising representatives from diverse companies and business organizations, the B20’s primary objective is to form actionable policy recommendations that stimulate economic growth and development.
11.Maharashtra Govt Signs MoU With Germany’s Professional Association Football League
- Maharashtra government has entered into a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the renowned German professional football league, Bundesliga to elevate the status of football in the state.
- Football enjoys significant popularity across numerous districts in Maharashtra, emphasizing the necessity for collaborative efforts to establish a favorable sporting atmosphere within the state. This partnership holds the potential to rejuvenate the sports landscape, particularly in domains such as under-14 age competitions, comprehensive training programs, and the establishment of a state-of-the-art sports science center.
- The partnership between the Maharashtra government and the Bundesliga holds the promise of forging a stronger connection between football enthusiasts and the sport itself. By tapping into the Bundesliga’s experience and knowledge, Maharashtra is poised to chart a new trajectory in sports development.
Important Days News
12.International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances 2023, 30 August
- The International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances is observed every year on August 30. This day is dedicated to raising awareness about the global crime of enforced disappearance.
- The International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in 2010. The date, August 30, was chosen to commemorate the enforced disappearance of Jonas Burgos, a Filipino human rights activist who was abducted by state forces in 2007.
13.National Small Industry Day 2023: Date, Significance and History
- On August 30th every year, India observes National Small Industry Day, a day dedicated to recognizing and celebrating the invaluable contribution of small industries to the nation’s economic development. This occasion serves as a platform for both central and state governments to showcase their commitment to nurturing and supporting these enterprises that form the bedrock of the Indian economy.
- These small-scale businesses not only fuel economic growth but also play a pivotal role in generating employment opportunities for a significant portion of the population.
- The policy package was a success, and it helped to boost the growth of small industries in India. In recognition of this success, the government of India declared August 30 as National Small Industry Day in 2001.
14.National Sports Day 2023
- The National Sports Day 2023 in India is celebrated on 29 August 2023. This annual observance, held on August 29 in India, is a tribute to the enduring legacy of Major Dhyan Chand.
- The roots of National Sports Day in India can be traced back to the birth of one of its most revered sporting legends, Major Dhyan Chand, who went on to become one of the most popular names in the game of hockey. Born on August 29, 1905, he started off his career with the British Indian Army regimental squad. His skills mesmerized the world, guiding India to three consecutive Olympic gold medals in 1928, 1932, and 1936.
- National Sports Day is an occasion to raise awareness about the importance of sports and physical activity in our daily lives. Sports can help us stay fit and healthy, reduce stress, and build character. They can also teach us teamwork, discipline, and perseverance.
15.International Whale Shark Day 2023
- International Whale Shark Day is celebrated every year on August 30 to raise awareness about the plight of whale sharks, the largest fish in the world. Whale sharks are filter feeders and do not pose a threat to humans. However, they are vulnerable to overfishing, habitat loss, and boat strikes.
- The significance of International Whale Shark Day 2023 is to raise awareness about the plight of whale sharks, the largest fish in the world. Whale sharks are filter feeders and do not pose a threat to humans. However, they are vulnerable to overfishing, habitat loss, and boat strikes.
- The International Whale Shark Day was first commemorated in 2008 at the International Whale Shark Conference in Isla Holbox. The conference hosted 40 ocean experts, activists, and scientists who had a concern for the whale shark’s declining population.
16.FIFA lifts ban on Sri Lanka Football Federation
- World governing body FIFA has lifted the ban on the Sri Lanka Football Federation (FFSL). The ban was imposed in January 2023 due to government interference in the federation’s affairs.
- The ban had unfortunate consequences, as Sri Lanka’s football team was unable to participate in the SAFF Championship 2023 held in July. This regional tournament showcased teams from South Asia, including India, Nepal, Pakistan, and more.
- The lifting of the ban is a major boost for Sri Lankan football. It means that the country’s national team will be able to resume international competition and that the FFSL will be able to resume its development programs.
17.Indian English poet Jayanta Mahapatra passes away
- Jayanta Mahapatra, one of India’s best known English poets, passed away at the age of 95. The legendary poet has left an imprint in the Indian English poetry with his writings spanning over 50 years.
- He was born in Cuttack, Odisha, India, in 22 october 1928. He studied at the Ravenshaw College in Cuttack and the University of Delhi. After graduating, he worked as a teacher and journalist.
- In 1981 Jayanta Mahapatra won Sahitya Akademi award for his poetry book Relationships. He became the first ever writer in English language to win Sahitya Akademi award. He received the SAARC Literary Award, New Delhi, 2009. He has also received Tata Literature Lifetime Achievement Award. He was conferred with a Padma Shri in 2009 and awarded an honorary doctorate by Ravenshaw University on 2 May 2009.
Important Current Affairs of 29th August 2023
Get all the International, National, Sports, Economy, latest schemes and appointments and current affairs updates with Adda247 Headlines of the day. Adda247 headlines of the day brings you the best accumulation of the daily updates. Stay updated with us!