Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 29 January 2024. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on India, France- Defence Space Agreement, India Ageing Report 2023, Australian Open 2024 Winners.
Top 20 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 29 January 2024
1.PM Inaugurates Diamond Jubilee Celebration and Launches Technology Initiatives for Supreme Court
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Diamond Jubilee celebration of the Supreme Court of India and unveiled key technology initiatives during the event held at the Supreme Court auditorium in Delhi.
- The occasion marked the beginning of the Supreme Court’s 75th year, coinciding with the 75th year of the Indian Constitution.
- PM Modi also launched Digital Supreme Court Reports (Digi SCR), Digital Courts 2.0, and the new bilingual website of the Supreme Court.
- Acknowledging the Supreme Court’s role, PM Modi emphasized its contribution to strengthening India’s vibrant democracy, particularly in upholding freedom of expression, personal freedom, and social justice.
2.PM Modi Unveils Infrastructure Boost in Bulandshahr, Uttar Pradesh
- Prime Minister Modi inaugurated and laid the foundation stone for projects worth over Rs 19,100 crores in Bulandshahr, Uttar Pradesh. The diverse projects spanned crucial sectors such as rail, road, oil and gas, and urban development.
- One significant project is dedication of a 173 Km long double line electrified section between New Khurja – New Rewari on Dedicated Freight Corridor. Moreover, Inauguration of the fourth line connecting Mathura – Palwal section & Chipiyana Buzurg – Dadri section.
- Furthermore, dedication of multiple road projects, including four-laning work, widening, and development projects at a cumulative cost exceeding Rs 5000 crores.
3.French President Macron’s India Visit: Key Deals and Announcements
- French President Emmanuel Macron concluded his two-day visit to India, participating as the chief guest in the 75th Republic Day celebrations.
- The visit aimed at strengthening strategic ties between India and France, featuring a 40-member delegation and significant diplomatic engagements.
- In Science & Technology Department, Framework Cooperation Arrangement was signed between Department of Science and Technology (DST), India, and Institut National de Recherche pour l’Agriculture, l’Alimentation et l’Environnement (INRAE), France
- Moreover, Framework Arrangement on Cooperation in Funding Research Projects was signed between DST, India, and Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR), France.
4.4th Rusoma Orange Festival 2024 In Nagaland
- The vibrant hues of oranges and the aroma of citrus filled the air as the 4th edition of the Rüsoma Orange Festival unfolded in the picturesque village of Rüsoma, nestled in the Kohima district in Nagaland.
- With approximately 3400 attendees, this year’s event showcased the best of organic produce, community spirit, and rural entrepreneurship.
- Beyond the festivities and competitions, the Rüsoma Orange Festival embodies a deeper purpose – to uplift rural farmers and promote organic agriculture.
- By providing a platform for local farmers to showcase their produce, the festival stimulates economic opportunities and fosters sustainable livelihoods within the community.
5.India, Saudi Arabia To Start Military Exercise SADA TANSEEQ From Jan 29-Feb 10
- The inaugural joint military exercise, Sada Tanseeq, between the armies of India and Saudi Arabia, is poised to commence in Rajasthan, showcasing a significant leap in bilateral relations between India and Saudi Arabia.
- Scheduled from January 29th to February 10th, 2024, Sada Tanseeq signifies a landmark collaboration, epitomizing the growing strategic partnership between India and Saudi Arabia.
- The Saudi Arabian contingent, comprising 45 personnel, is being represented by the esteemed Royal Saudi Land Forces. Simultaneously, the Indian Army contingent, also consisting of 45 personnel, proudly represents a Battalion from the Brigade of the Guards (Mechanised Infantry).
6.Nitish Kumar Sworn in as Bihar CM for Record 9th Time with BJP Support
- In a significant turn of events ahead of the upcoming Lok Sabha polls, Janata Dal-United (JDU) chief Nitish Kumar was sworn in as Bihar Chief Minister for the ninth time, breaking ties with the ‘Mahagathbandhan’ and securing support from the BJP.
- The swearing-in ceremony, held at Raj Bhavan in Patna, saw Bihar Governor Rajendra Arlekar administering the oath of office. Nitish Kumar, after dissolving his Cabinet and severing ties with the ‘Mahagathbandhan,’ secured the support of the BJP.
7.Union Budget 2024-25 Overview: Nirmala Sitharaman’s Focus on Economic Growth
- On February 1, 2024, as part of the legislature’s budget session, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will deliver the Union Budget 2024 for the fiscal year 2024–2025.
- The budget aims to strike a balance between economic development and financial consolidation. The fiscal deficit target for FY24 is 5.9% of GDP, as suggested by CII, with a further reduction to about 5.4% of GDP for FY25.
- According to Apurva Sheth of SAMCO Securities, the government is likely to prioritize sectors such as infrastructure, railroads, and defense in the upcoming interim budget for 2024–2025.
- Mobikwik’s CEO, Bipin Preet Singh, advocates for government funding in artificial intelligence (AI) to overcome linguistic barriers and enhance accessibility for fintech companies.
8.IREDA Unveils Its Vigilance Journal ‘Pahal’
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA), a Government of India enterprise under the administrative control of the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, has taken a remarkable step towards fostering transparency and promoting renewable energy initiatives.
- On January 25, 2024, IREDA unveiled ‘Pahal,‘ the insightful house journal of its Vigilance Department, marking a significant milestone in its commitment to accountability and sustainability.
- The launch of ‘Pahal’ symbolizes IREDA’s proactive approach to engage its stakeholders, including employees and their families, in the journey towards renewable energy development. The journal serves as a platform to disseminate insightful information, promote awareness, and encourage active participation in sustainable practices.
Important Days News
9.Indian Newspaper Day 2024, Date, History and Significance
- Indian Newspaper Day, observed on January 28th each year, is a tribute to the rich legacy of journalism in the country.
- It marks the inception of newspapers in India, a historic moment when James Augustus Hicky introduced the first printed newspaper, Hicky’s Bengal Gazette, in 1780.
- Indian Newspaper Day is not just a nod to history but a celebration of the contemporary relevance of newspapers. The event emphasizes the enduring role of newspapers in fostering informed decision-making, citizen empowerment, and the sustenance of India’s democracy.
10.K.M. Cariappa Janayati 2024
- On January 28, we celebrate the birth anniversary of Field Marshal Kodandera M. Cariappa, the inaugural Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army.
- Recognized as a national hero, Cariappa’s pivotal role in shaping the Indian military from colonial to independent India remains revered.
- His leadership during a crucial transitional phase established a robust and efficient military establishment. Cariappa’s election marked a significant milestone in the evolution of India’s defense sector. His enduring legacy serves as a beacon of inspiration, emphasizing the values of discipline, leadership, and unwavering dedication to the nation.
11.Pradhanmantri Suryodaya Yojana
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on the occasion of the Ayodhya Ram Mandir consecration, announced a significant initiative, “Pradhanmantri Suryodaya Yojana.”
- This ambitious project is designed to boost solar energy usage in India and marks a significant step towards energy self-reliance and sustainability.
- The Pradhanmantri Suryodaya Yojana, an initiative by the Government of India, aims to revolutionize the country’s energy sector by promoting solar energy.
- The Pradhanmantri Suryodaya Yojana is a groundbreaking initiative by the Indian government, aimed at harnessing solar energy to empower 1 crore households. This scheme promises to drive India towards energy independence and opens up new market opportunities in the sustainable energy sector.
Ranks & Reports News
12.Higher Education Sees Surge: AISHE Report Reveals 19 Lakh Increase in 2021-22 Enrollment
- The All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2021-22, released by the Ministry of Education, unveils a significant spike in higher education enrollment.
- The total enrollment soared from 4.14 crore in the previous session to nearly 4.33 crore in 2021-22, marking a notable uptick of 19 lakh students.
- The report highlights a commendable rise in female enrollment in the science stream, surpassing male counterparts. Overall female enrollment reaches 2.07 crore in 2021-22, showcasing an increase from 2.01 crore in 2020-21.
13.India Ageing Report 2023: Jammu Kashmir’s Life Expectancy
- The ‘INDIA AGEING REPORT 2023,’ jointly conducted by the International Institute for Population Sciences and the United Nations Population Fund, provides a comprehensive overview of the aging demographic in Jammu Kashmir.
- Jammu Kashmir emerges as a region with remarkable resilience against elderly poverty, boasting a mere 4.2 percent of its aged population falling below the poverty line.
- Among the elderly, constituting 9.4 percent of the region’s population, Jammu Kashmir stands out with the highest life expectancy after the age of 60. Males exhibit a life expectancy of 20.3 percent, and females, 23.0 percent, making it the leader in this demographic indicator between 2015-19.
14.India, France Ink Deal On Defence Space Agreement
- A significant milestone was quietly achieved as French Defence Minister Sebastien Locornu and India’s National Security Advisor Ajit Doval sealed the Defence Space Agreement on January 26.
- The Defence Space Partnership signifies a paradigm shift, enhancing the collaboration between India and France in space defence. This agreement opens avenues for joint development and deployment of military satellites, bolstering offensive and defensive capabilities.
- France’s pledge to extend comprehensive support, from advanced fighter aircraft engines to cutting-edge underwater drones, marks a significant milestone in fostering indigenous development and production of state-of-the-art defence platforms.
15.Filmfare Awards 2024
- The 69th edition of the Filmfare Awards 2024 took place in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. The Filmfare Awards 2024 celebrated the finest achievements in Indian cinema.
- The event featured hosting by Karan Johar, and performances by Kareena Kapoor, Karisma Kapoor, Varun Dhawan, and Kartik Aaryan among others.
- This year, the two-day celebration in Gujarat opened with a Curtain Raiser, leading up to the Filmfare Awards ceremony. The 69th Hyundai Filmfare Awards 2024 with Gujarat Tourism was held in GIFT City, Gujarat.
16.Netherlands won FIH Hockey5s Women’s World Cup
- India finished as runner-up at the inaugural edition of the FIH Hockey 5s Women’s World Cup after a 7-2 loss to the Netherlands in the final in Muscat.
- India tried to make a comeback and scored twice – Jyoti Chhatri (20th minute) and Rutaja Dadaso Pisal (23rd minute) – but could not catch the Dutch team which added one more goal courtesy of Kalse before the full-time hooter.
- The final standings of the teams were as follows:
S.No. Country 1 Netherlands 2 India 3 Poland 4 South Africa 5 Uruguay
17.Australian Open 2024 Winners: Sinner, Sabalenka and Bopanna Shine
- Jannik Sinner secured his first Grand Slam in men’s singles, while Aryna Sabalenka claimed her second in women’s singles. Rohan Bopanna, at 43, became the oldest man to win men’s doubles. Hsieh Su-Wei and Elise Mertens won women’s doubles, and Hsieh, with Jan Zielinski, clinched mixed doubles.
- Jannik Sinner (Italy) claimed his maiden Grand Slam title, defeating Daniil Medvedev in a thrilling five-set Australian Open final in Melbourne. He became the 27th different men’s singles winner in Melbourne since the Open era began in 1969 and the first Italian to achieve this feat.
- At 22 years and 165 days, Sinner is the youngest Australian Open champion since Novak Djokovic in 2008. Novak Djokovic holds the Open era record for most Australian Open titles (10), followed by Roger Federer (6) and Andre Agassi (4).
18.Tanmay Agarwal’s Record-Breaking Triple Century Sets the Ranji Trophy
- Hyderabad’s Tanmay Agarwal scored an unbeaten 323 off just 160 balls against Arunachal Pradesh in the Ranji Trophy Plate Group game. His innings included 33 fours and 21 sixes, showcasing his aggressive batting style.
- Agarwal achieved his triple century in a record 147 balls, surpassing the previous record of 191 balls set by Marco Marais. This feat also marked the second-fastest triple ton by time, taking 183 minutes.
- Hyderabad ended the day with a massive total of 529 runs in 48 overs, maintaining an extraordinary run rate of 11.02. Agarwal and Rahul Singh Gahlaut formed a formidable partnership, contributing significantly to the team’s score.
Science & Technology News
19.ISRO’s POEM-3 Platform Fulfills All Payload Goals
- On January 27, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) announced that it has successfully executed all experiments within the Payload Orbital Experiment for Microgravity (POEM-3) mission, which was launched as part of the PSLV-C58 mission.
- POEM-3 represents a remarkable feat in India’s space endeavors, leveraging the capabilities of the PSLV-C58 vehicle to create an efficient and versatile space platform. Launched alongside XPoSat on January 1, 2024, POEM-3 exemplifies India’s innovative approach to space exploration.
- The primary objectives of POEM-3 align with India’s strategic vision for space exploration. From demonstrating power generation to facilitating telecommand & telemetry capabilities, POEM-3 serves as a testament to India’s technological prowess.
20.ISRO To Launch INSAT-3DS Satellite From Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to launch its latest meteorological satellite, INSAT-3DS, marking a significant advancement in India’s space capabilities.
- This satellite, designed to enhance weather forecasting and disaster management, represents a culmination of rigorous testing and collaboration between ISRO and various stakeholders.
- On January 25, ISRO officially flagged off the satellite to the launch port at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, signaling the commencement of pre-launch activities.
- The impending launch of INSAT-3DS represents a significant milestone in India’s space journey, underscoring ISRO’s commitment to harnessing space technology for societal benefits.
29 JANUARY CURRENT AFFAIRS 2024 | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR