Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 30 January 2024. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on LABHA MSP Scheme, ‘BOBCARD Limited,’ Wushu Athlete Of The Year, Shaheed Diwas 2024.
Top 22 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 30 January 2024
1.Tableau on theme ‘India: Mother of Democracy’ clinches First Spot at Republic Day Parade 2024
- The Republic Day Parade 2024 witnessed a remarkable tableau that captured the essence of India as the ‘Mother of Democracy.’
- This stunning representation not only enthralled the audience but also clinched the first spot in the parade, symbolizing India’s rich democratic heritage.
- The winning tableau was based on the theme ‘India: Mother of Democracy,’ showcasing the country’s long-standing tradition of democratic values and practices.
- The tableau highlighted India’s journey through the ages as a cradle of democratic principles, reflecting the diverse and inclusive nature of its political system.
2.THDCIL Inaugurates India’s Largest Green Hydrogen Pilot Project on 75th Republic Day
- On the 75th Republic Day, THDC India Limited (THDCIL), a prominent Power Sector PSU, proudly unveiled India’s Largest Electrolyser End Fuel Cell-based Green Hydrogen Pilot Project at its office complex in Rishikesh.
- The initiative aligns with the “National Green Hydrogen Mission,” showcasing THDCIL’s commitment to sustainable energy practices. The pilot project, utilizing a 1MW Rooftop Solar Plant, will produce 50KG of Green Hydrogen daily.
- The hydrogen will be stored in two tanks and used during night hours to illuminate the THDCIL office complex through a 70 Kw PEM Fuel Cell.
- As India’s Largest Electrolyser End Fuel Cell based Pilot Project, THDCIL’s achievement demonstrates key technologies in Green Hydrogen Production, H2 storage, and features a PEM Hydrogen fuel cell-based microgrid system.
3.Comoros President Azali Assoumani Secures Controversial Fourth Term Amid Opposition Dispute
- In a disputed electoral process, Comoros President Azali Assoumani has claimed victory for a fourth term with 63% of the vote, as announced by the electoral body Ceni.
- The opposition alleges instances of ballot stuffing and premature closure of polls in favor of Assoumani, while international observers maintain the overall fairness of the election despite reported irregularities.
- Azali Assoumani, a former military officer who first seized power in 1999, secured his fourth term after a contentious 2018 referendum abolished term limits. Accusations of imprisoning and exiling opponents have marred his rule, with critics raising concerns about democratic principles.
4.Bhutan’s Tshering Tobgay Embarks on Second Term as Prime Minister after Fourth Free Election
- Bhutan’s liberal leader, Tshering Tobgay, from the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), has commenced his second term as prime minister, following recent elections in the nation.
- Bhutan, with a population of less than 800,000, has embraced democracy for 15 years and is renowned for its unique Gross National Happiness (GNH) index, measuring factors like recreation and emotional well-being.
- Tobgay, 58, now serving his second non-consecutive term, was previously prime minister from 2013 to 2018 and led the opposition in the first free vote in 2008. A former bureaucrat and advocate for Bhutan’s Buddhist culture, he faces the task of revitalizing the $3 billion economy post-COVID-19 and addressing youth migration abroad.
5.Odisha Hosts Fourth National Chilika Birds Festival
- The National Chilika Birds Festival, a hallmark event in Odisha’s calendar, commenced with grandeur on January 26. The festival was inaugurated by Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik
- Hosted against the breathtaking backdrop of Chilika Lake, this festival brings together birders and enthusiasts from across India to celebrate the State of India’s Birds.
- Participants embarked on birding excursions to Mangalajodi and Nalabana, sanctuaries nestled within Chilika’s pristine environs. Mangalajodi, dubbed the “Birds Paradise of Asia,” offered a glimpse into the diverse avian species that call this region home.
6.Odisha Launches LABHA: A 100% State-funded MSP Scheme for Tribal Empowerment
- In a significant move towards the development and empowerment of approximately one crore tribals in Odisha, the state government, led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, has approved the launch of the ‘LABHA’ scheme.
- LABHA, an acronym for Laghu Bana Jatya Drabya Kraya, is a 100% state-funded Minimum Support Price (MSP) for Minor Forest Produce (MFP).
- The state government will annually determine the Minimum Support Price for the minor forest produce. Tribal primary collectors will sell minor forest produce at MSP through procurement centers managed by TDCCOL (Tribal Development Cooperative Corporation of Odisha Limited).
7.India Nominates ‘Maratha Military Landscapes’ for UNESCO World Heritage List 2024-25
- India has nominated the ‘Maratha Military Landscapes’ for inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage List for the 2024-25 cycle.
- The ‘Maratha Military Landscapes of India’ comprise twelve components, including Salher Fort, Shivneri Fort, Lohgad, Khanderi Fort, Raigad, Rajgad, Pratapgad, Suvarnadurg, Panhala Fort, Vijay Durg, Sindhudurg, and Gingee Fort.
- These structures, dating back to the 17th and 19th centuries, span across Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu, showcasing the strategic military prowess of the Maratha rule.
8.Indian Army Implements New Fitness Policy
- In response to concerns over declining physical standards and the increasing prevalence of lifestyle diseases within the Indian Army, a comprehensive new policy has been implemented.
- The new policy introduces stringent measures for addressing physical health concerns among personnel, particularly overweight individuals. It mandates prompt action if no improvement is observed within 30 days.
- Additionally, it introduces the Army Physical Fitness Assessment card (APAC), a standardized tool for monitoring and maintaining physical fitness levels.
- The primary objective of this policy is to address concerns regarding physical health within the Indian Army. It emphasizes the importance of maintaining physical standards during courses, foreign postings, and in combating lifestyle diseases.
9.Union Budget 2024
- Mrs. Nirmala Sitharaman, the Finance Minister, is set to present her 6th budget on this occasion. The upcoming Union Budget on 1st February 2024 marks the 15th interim budget.
- Given the imminent Lok Sabha elections in early 2024, this interim budget will serve to meet expenditures until the new government assumes power.
- The infrastructure sector in India is anticipated to achieve a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 9.57 percent from 2024 to 2029.
- For the fiscal year 2023-24, the government had allocated INR 1.75 trillion for fertilizer subsidies in the 2023 budget, with 55 percent of the amount expended within the initial five months.
10.Bank of Baroda’s Subsidiary ‘BOB Financial Solutions Limited’ Rebranded as ‘BOBCARD Limited’ with “Credit Reimagined” Tagline
- In a strategic move, Bank of Baroda’s wholly-owned subsidiary for cards, ‘BOB Financial Solutions Limited’, has undergone a rebranding, emerging as ‘BOBCARD Limited’ with the tagline “Credit Reimagined.”
- The transformation includes a distinctive logo named ‘Baroda Sun,’ featuring dual ‘B’ letterforms enveloping the rays of a rising sun.
- This initiative signifies a revitalized commitment to reshaping India’s credit landscape by offering innovative and customer-centric credit solutions.
11.Toyota Retains its Position as the World’s Top-Selling Automaker in 2023
- Toyota, the renowned Japanese automaker, has once again secured its position as the world’s top-selling automaker in 2023. This achievement underscores Toyota’s continued dominance in the global automotive market and its commitment to innovation, quality, and customer satisfaction.
- A key factor in Toyota’s success has been its pioneering work in hybrid and electric vehicle technology. The company’s investment in eco-friendly vehicles, such as the Prius and its expanding lineup of hybrid models, demonstrates its commitment to sustainable transportation solutions.
12.GAIL Secures 10-year LNG Deal With UAE
- GAIL, India’s leading gas company, has made significant strides in enhancing its liquefied natural gas (LNG) portfolio through a recent partnership with the United Arab Emirates’ (UAE) ADNOC Gas.
- Under this deal, GAIL is set to procure 0.5 million tonnes of LNG annually for a decade, marking a crucial step towards meeting India’s growing demand for natural gas.
- Commencing in 2026, the deliveries from ADNOC will play a pivotal role in bridging the demand-supply gap of natural gas in India. This deal with ADNOC Gas underscores GAIL’s commitment to diversifying its LNG portfolio and ensuring a stable supply of natural gas for India’s energy needs.
Important Days News
13.Martyrs Day or Shaheed Diwas 2024
- India commemorates Martyrs’ Day, also known as Shaheed Diwas, on January 30th each year. This day holds a dual significance as it marks the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi, the “Father of the Nation,” and also serves to honour all the brave souls who sacrificed their lives for the country’s freedom and sovereignty.
- Martyrs’ Day, also referred to as Mahatma Gandhi’s Punyatithi, is marked by various activities across the country. Prayer meetings and homage ceremonies are organized at Gandhi’s memorials and statues of other freedom fighters. Government officials, political leaders, and citizens participate in these events to pay their respects.
14.World Leprosy Day 2024
- World Leprosy Day, observed annually on the last Sunday of January, is a crucial event dedicated to raising awareness about leprosy, also known as Hansen’s Disease.
- The first World Leprosy Day was established in 1954 by French Journalist Raoul Follereau. He chose the date as a tribute to Mahatma Gandhi, who showed compassion and empathy towards people affected by leprosy.
- This year’s theme for World Leprosy Day is “Beat Leprosy.” The focus is on combating the stigma associated with the disease and promoting awareness about its curability. The day aims to campaign for awareness about the disease and to highlight available treatment options.
Ranks & Reports News
15.Bhupender Yadav releases the Status Report of Snow Leopards in India
- Union Minister of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change, Shri Bhupender Yadav, released a significant report on the status of Snow leopards in India.
- This groundbreaking study, part of the Snow Leopard Population Assessment in India (SPAI) Program, marks the first-ever scientific exercise to assess the population of this elusive species in the country.
- The SPAI, a rigorous and systematic effort, reports the presence of 718 Snow leopards in India. This program was coordinated by the Wildlife Institute of India (WII) and supported by snow leopard range states, the Nature Conservation Foundation, Mysuru, and WWF-India.
16.Qatar Secures 15-Year Gas Supply Deal with Bangladesh to Bolster Energy Ties
- In a major stride within the energy sector, QatarEnergy and Excelerate Energy have finalized a pivotal 15-year LNG Sale and Purchase Agreement (SPA) with the goal of providing LNG to Bangladesh.
- Under the SPA, Excelerate will secure up to one million tons per annum (MTPA) of LNG from QatarEnergy. The deliveries, set to commence from January 2026, will be directed to floating storage and regasification units in Bangladesh.
- The agreement encompasses Excelerate’s purchase of 0.85 MTPA of LNG in 2026 and 2027, escalating to one MTPA from 2028 to 2040, reinforcing Qatar’s commitment to Bangladesh’s energy needs.
17.Sharat Chauhan Appointed As Puducherry’s New Chief Secretary
- Sharat Chauhan, a seasoned 1994 batch IAS officer of the AGMUT cadre, has been designated as the new Chief Secretary of Puducherry.
- The announcement of his appointment came through an official order issued by the Union Home Ministry on January, 29. With an extensive background in administration, Chauhan is poised to bring fresh perspectives and efficient governance to the union territory.
- Chauhan’s prior service in Arunachal Pradesh has equipped him with a wealth of administrative experience, making him well-suited for his new role in Puducherry. His tenure in Arunachal Pradesh likely provided him with insights into managing diverse administrative challenges, which will be invaluable in his leadership of Puducherry.
18.Sonam Maskar Wins Silver In Women’s Air Rifle In Cairo, Egypt
- Sonam Maskar made a remarkable debut in the shooting World Cup in Cairo, Egypt, clinching the women’s air rifle silver medal. Despite her impressive performance, she was narrowly beaten by Anna Janssen of Germany by a mere 0.9 points.
- Joining Maskar in the final was Nancy Mandhotra, who displayed excellent form during the qualification round with a score of 633.1. However, Mandhotra missed out on securing a medal by a slim margin of 0.2 points, showcasing the intense competition at the World Cup.
- Raiza Dhillon, Areeba Khan, and Ganemat Sekhon showcased their skills in the women’s skeet event, securing positions in the 17th to 20th spots with scores of 68, 67, and 67 respectively.
19.Indian Boxer Mandeep Jangra Secures U.S Intercontinental Title
- Indian boxer Mandeep Jangra secured a remarkable triumph at the US-based National Boxing Association’s (NBA) intercontinental super featherweight championship.
- His win came after a compelling bout against American Gerardo Esquivel in Toppenish City, Washington. Jangra, showcased exceptional skill as he transitioned from his previous 75kg weight class to compete for the intercontinental super featherweight title.
- Before stepping into the professional arena, Jangra had a commendable run in the amateur circuit. His notable achievements include clinching a silver medal in the 2014 Glasgow edition of the Commonwealth Games, highlighting his talent and determination as a boxer.
20.Naorem Roshibina Devi Crowned Female Wushu Athlete Of The Year
- Naorem Roshibina Devi, the pride of Manipur, has clinched the prestigious title of International Wushu Federation Female Athlete of the Year, solidifying her place as a powerhouse in the world of wushu.
- Roshibina’s triumphs at the Asian Games in 2018 and 2022 have been pivotal moments in her career, showcasing her dominance in the sport. Her silver and bronze medals in the sanda category have earned her widespread recognition and admiration.
- Roshibina’s journey to sporting excellence began with a bronze medal at the World Junior Wushu Championships in 2016. Since then, she has continued to rise through the ranks, culminating in the prestigious Arjuna Award, a testament to her dedication and success in wushu.
Books & Authors News
21.Himanta Biswa Sarma released first volume of ‘Political History of Assam (1947-1971)’
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma released the first edition of ‘Political History of Assam (1947-1971)’- Volume 1, marking a significant step in documenting the state’s political journey.
- CM Sarma emphasized the need to rewrite history based on factual evidence, rather than through the lens of ideology. The book, envisioned to be completed in three volumes by 2025, covers the political events in Assam from 1947 to 2020.
- Authored by Dr. Rajen Saikia, an eminent historian and former President of the Indian History Congress, Modern India Section, this work aims to provide an in-depth understanding of the region’s political landscape during a crucial period in its history.
22.‘Ek Samandar, Mere Andar,’ penned by BrahMos Aerospace Deputy CEO Sanjeev Joshi
- ‘Ek Samandar, Mere Andar,’ a collection of 75 poems penned by BrahMos Aerospace Deputy CEO Sanjeev Joshi, was launched in a prestigious event graced by top Indian defence and literary figures.
- The book launch, held at the India International Centre, saw the presence of National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Chief of Defence Staff General Anil Chauhan, and Minister of State for Defence Ajay Bhatt.
- The launch of ‘Ek Samandar, Mere Andar’ highlights the lesser-known creative side of individuals deeply involved in the defense sector. Sanjeev Joshi, known for his role in BrahMos Aerospace, showcases his poetic prowess in this collection, offering a unique perspective on life and experiences.
30 JANUARY CURRENT AFFAIRS 2024 | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR