Read the most important current affairs of 3 November 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Shree Somnath Trust, World Tsunami Awareness Day, International Day for Biosphere Reserve 2023, NASA Apollo.
Top 20 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 3 November 2023
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi as Elected Chairman of Shree Somnath Trust for Five-Year Term
- In a historic development, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been elected as the chairman of the Shree Somnath Trust (SST) for a five-year term, marking a significant departure from the traditional one-year tenure for the trust’s chairman.
- The decision, approved by the charity commissioner of Gujarat, underscores the importance of continuity and leadership in managing the iconic Somnath temple near Veraval.
- At the 122nd meeting of the SST’s board of trustees held at Raj Bhavan in Gandhinagar, Prime Minister Modi, the incumbent chairman, was re-elected to the position for a five-year term.This marks a historic moment as it is the first time in the 74-year-long history of the Shree Somnath Trust that a chairman has been elected for a five-year tenure.
2. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurates SBI branch in Sri Lanka
- During her three-day visit to Sri Lanka, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated a new branch of the State Bank of India (SBI) in Trincomalee and engaged in crucial discussions with her Sri Lankan counterparts as part of the 12th round of the Economic and Technology Cooperation Agreement (ETCA).
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman’s visit to Sri Lanka, marked by the opening of a State Bank of India branch in Trincomalee and the resumption of the 12th round of Economic and Technology Cooperation Agreement (ETCA) talks, reflects the commitment of both nations to strengthen economic ties and enhance cooperation. These endeavors underscore the importance of fostering collaboration in the region for mutual growth and development.
3. Sarbananda Sonowal flags off domestic sailing of the first International Cruise Liner in India
- In a historic moment, Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways and AYUSH, Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, flagged off the maiden voyage of Costa Serena, India’s first International Cruise Liner from Mumbai.
- This monumental event marks the initiation of a transformative phase in India’s cruising and tourism industry, driven by the visionary “Dekho Apna Desh” initiative of Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
4. NITI Aayog held Workshop on India-AU Collaboration
- NITI Aayog, in partnership with the Observer Research Foundation (ORF), organized a workshop in New Delhi focused on implementing the commitments from the New Delhi Leaders’ Declaration (NDLD) signed at a recent G20 Conference.
- The workshop aimed to strengthen cooperation between India and the African Union (AU) in three key areas: inclusive growth, sustainable infrastructure, and migration management.
5. Climate Change: Is White Hydrogen the New Saviour?
- The energy and climate change landscape has recently been electrified by the discovery of vast reserves of natural or “white” hydrogen.
- This development has sparked enthusiasm, with many seeing it as a potential game-changer in the fight against climate change. Amidst the excitement, it is crucial to dissect the reality behind this newfound energy source.
6. National Basketball Association (NBA) ropes in Bhaane to drive its e-commerce platform in India
- The National Basketball Association (NBA) and Bhaane, a leading contemporary clothing brand, have joined forces in a groundbreaking multi-year partnership to introduce NBAStore.in.
- This online store caters to the burgeoning demand for official NBA merchandise in India, featuring an extensive array of items including jerseys, apparel, headwear, footwear, basketballs, and accessories from renowned brands like Nike, New Era, Mitchell & Ness, Wilson, and NBA Fanwear by Suditi.
7. RBI imposes penalties on Punjab National Bank, Federal Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) took action on November 3 by announcing monetary penalties against several financial institutions for violating regulations.
- The penalties were imposed on Punjab National Bank, Federal Bank, Kosamattam Finance, and Mercedes-Benz Financial Services India.
- The central bank issued these penalties to ensure that financial institutions comply with regulatory requirements.
8. India and Italy sign Mobility and Migration Partnership Agreement to facilitate movement of workers, students
- India’s External Affairs Minister, Dr. S. Jaishankar, held a productive meeting with Italy’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, Antonio Tajani, in Rome.
- The discussions revolved around strengthening the strategic partnership between India and Italy, exploring opportunities in various sectors, and addressing global issues.
9. India and UAE pen MoU to foster education connect between two countries
- India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at bolstering their educational cooperation.
- The agreement covers various aspects, including student and faculty mobility, exchange of information, capacity development, and academic collaboration between educational institutions in both countries.
10. Indian diplomat re-elected to serve on UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions
- Senior Indian diplomat, Surendra Adhana, has been re-elected to serve on the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ) at the United Nations for the term 2024-26. This re-election underscores his expertise and the confidence placed in him by the international community.
- Counsellor Surendra Adhana, representing India’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations, has been re-elected to the ACABQ by acclamation. This re-election reflects his standing as a seasoned diplomat and his demonstrated capabilities in addressing complex budgetary and administrative matters at the United Nations.
11. World Tsunami Awareness Day 2023 Observed on 05th November
- Every November 5th, a global community assembles to mark World Tsunami Awareness Day, emphasising the importance of Tsunami knowledge and awareness.
- The Current Theme: World Tsunami Awareness Day’s 2023 theme, “Fighting Inequality for a Resilient Future,” echoes the emphasis on reducing inequality during the International Day for Disaster Reduction.
12. International Day for Biosphere Reserve 2023 Celebrated on 3rd November
- On November 3, the world celebrates the International Day for Biosphere Reserves, a day established by UNESCO during its 41st General Conference in 2022. This occasion provides an opportunity to understand and appreciate Biosphere Reserves (BR) and their significance in preserving the delicate balance between nature and culture.
- The UN General Assembly designated November 5 as World Tsunami Awareness Day in 2015, with the objective of raising tsunami awareness and sharing innovative approaches for risk reduction.
13. NASA Apollo astronaut Thomas Kenneth Mattingly II passed away at age of 87
- Ken Mattingly, the renowned astronaut best known for his vital role in the safe return of the damaged Apollo 13 spacecraft to Earth, has passed away at the age of 87. His contributions to space exploration, both on the ground and in orbit, have left an indelible mark on NASA’s history.
- In 1970, he was initially assigned to be the pilot of the Apollo 13 command module. However, he was replaced a few days before launch due to exposure to German measles, even though he did not contract the illness.
Important Current Affairs of 4 November 2023
Get all the International, National, Sports, Economy, latest schemes and appointments and current affairs updates with Adda247 Headlines of the day. Adda247 headlines of the day brings you the best accumulation of the daily updates. Stay updated with us!