Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 5 February 2024. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Grammy Awards 2024, Northern Ireland’s First Minister, Adani Group’s $1.2 Billion Copper Plant.
Top 23 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 5 February 2024
1.France Takes Lead as First EU Nation to Offer Digital Visas
- As of January 1, 2024, France has pioneered the issuance of Digital Schengen visas, marking a significant leap in streamlining visa processes within the European Union.
- This groundbreaking initiative precedes the broader digitalization of Schengen visa procedures scheduled for full implementation in 2026.
- France takes the lead in digitalizing the Schengen visa system, setting the stage for a more efficient and streamlined application process. The initiative aims to enhance visa accessibility and convenience, particularly with the upcoming major sporting events in mind.
2.Michelle O’Neill Becomes Northern Ireland’s First Minister
- In a groundbreaking move, Michelle O’Neill, an Irish nationalist representing Sinn Fein, has been appointed as Northern Ireland’s First Minister.
- O’Neill’s appointment reflects Sinn Fein’s (Political party) aspiration for a United Ireland, a vision they believe is now within grasp. Her elevation to the position of First Minister signifies the party’s growing influence and political clout in Northern Ireland.
- O’Neill’s commitment to serving all citizens equally, as demonstrated in her address to the assembly, underscores her role as a leader for all of Northern Ireland. Her appointment signals a new era of inclusivity and representation in the region’s political leadership.
3.Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya Inaugurates AIIMS Bhubaneswar’s New Facilities
- Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya recently spearheaded the inauguration of cutting-edge healthcare facilities at AIIMS Bhubaneswar, marking a pivotal moment for healthcare in Odisha.
- The newly inaugurated Dharmasala boasts 492 beds distributed across 159 rooms. Its affordability ensures patients and their attendants have access to unprecedented lodging options within the state.
- The newly inaugurated Trauma Centre, equipped with an ICU, modular OTs, and advanced diagnostic services, stands as a beacon of hope during traumatic situations.
- The introduction of the HELA Machine signifies a revolutionary leap in cancer care. Employing cutting-edge technology, this device ensures precise radiation therapy, significantly reducing waiting times for cancer patients.
4.Ellora Ajanta Festival Held From Feb 2-4, 2024
- The Ellora – Ajanta International Festival, held in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar concluded marking the end of a three-day musical extravaganza that delighted audiences with a rich cultural treat.
- After a seven-year hiatus, the event returned in 2023. Now, the district plans to host it annually in early February. District Guardian Minister Sandipan Bhumre expressed confidence that the festival would bring cultural acclaim to the city, contributing to its global recognition.
- The festival showcased a diverse range of performances, including Ganesh Vandana Bharatnatyam by State Tourism Youth Ambassador Naveli Deshmukh, Bharatnatyam dance by Dr. Sandhya Purecha’s troupe and Instruments Fusion by Stree Shakti led by Pandita Anuradha Pal.
5.Punjab Governor Banwarilal Purohit Resigns
- Punjab Governor and Chandigarh Administrator Banwarilal Purohit resigned from his post, citing “personal reasons.”
- Purohit’s resignation comes just a day after meeting Union Home Minister Amit Shah in Delhi. The timing of his resignation, following the BJP’s triumph in the Chandigarh mayoral polls where they secured all three posts.
- Banwarilal Purohit, born on 16 April 1940, is an Indian politician who served as the 29th Governor of Punjab, India, and Administrator of Chandigarh until 3 February 2024. He previously served as the Governor of Tamil Nadu from 2017 to 2021 and the Governor of Assam from 2016 to 2017.
6.Assam Welcomes Northeast’s First Naturopathy Hospital
- Union Minister of Ayush and Ports, Shipping & Waterways, Sarbananda Sonowal, along with Chief Minister Assam, laid the foundation stone for the Central Research Institute of Yoga & Naturopathy (CRIYN) and a 100-bedded Naturopathy hospital at Dihing Khamtighat in Dibrugarh.
- The institution, a pioneering force in Ayush, aims to blend traditional knowledge of Yoga and Naturopathy with modern technology. The investment of approximately ₹100 crores signifies a significant step towards promoting holistic healthcare in the region.
- CRIYN is poised to set benchmark standards in education, preventive healthcare, and research in Yoga and Naturopathy. Scientific validation of traditional medicine practices will be the cornerstone, fostering evidence-based research and promoting international collaboration.
7.Uttarakhand Cabinet Approves Uniform Civil Code Bill: Tabled in Assembly on Feb 6
- The Uttarakhand Cabinet, led by Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami, has greenlit the Uniform Civil Code (UCC) bill, marking a historic move.
- The bill, crafted based on recommendations from a government-appointed committee, will be presented in the Uttarakhand Assembly on February 6. The committee suggests banning polygamy and child marriage, advocating for uniform marriageable age and divorce procedures
- If passed, Uttarakhand would be the first state post-Independence to adopt the Uniform Civil Code, aiming to standardize civil laws for all citizens, irrespective of their religious affiliations.
8.RBI Data Indicates 97.5% Return of ₹2,000 Notes to Circulation
- In a move that reshaped the currency landscape, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) declared the withdrawal of ₹2,000 denomination banknotes on May 19 last year.
- The RBI’s announcement on January 1, 2024, revealed that a staggering 97.38 per cent of ₹2,000 notes in circulation had been successfully returned.
- The once ubiquitous ₹2,000 banknotes, totaling ₹3.56 lakh crore on May 19, 2023, witnessed a remarkable decline. As of January 31, 2024, the total value shrunk to ₹8,897 crore, signifying that 97.50 percent of these notes have made their way back to the system.
9.State Govt Imposes Rs 6 Crore Fine On Fertilizer Plant For Ammonia Leak
- Forty days after an ammonia gas leak from a fertilizer plant owned by Coromandel International Limited shook Ennore in Tamil Nadu, the Environment, Climate Change and Forest Department has taken decisive actions against the company.
- The leak originated from the under-sea pipeline, which was damaged during Cyclone Michaung. This underscores the need for robust infrastructure in hazardous environments.
- The department has slapped a significant penalty of Rs 5.92 crore on Coromandel International Limited for its role in the gas leak incident. This reflects the seriousness with which authorities are addressing environmental hazards.
10.Adani Group’s $1.2 Billion Copper Plant Boosts India’s Metal Independence for Energy Transition
- The Gautam Adani-led Adani Group is constructing the world’s largest single-location copper manufacturing plant in Mundra, Gujarat.
- This $1.2 billion facility, set to commence its first phase operations by March-end, aims to reach a full-scale production capacity of 1 million tonnes by 2029.
- This strategic move aligns with India’s efforts to reduce dependence on copper imports and support the global shift towards sustainable energy sources.
Important Days News
11.International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation 2024
- February 6th, 2024, marks the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), a pivotal moment for communities worldwide to unite against a practice that infringes on the rights, health, and well-being of millions of women and girls.
- This day serves not only as a call to action but also as a reminder of the progress made and the challenges that remain in the fight to eradicate FGM.
- The theme for 2024 focuses on “Her Voice. Her Future,” emphasizing the crucial role that community-led initiatives play in achieving lasting change. Share with the world how you support #HerVoiceMatters in leading the #EndFGM movement.
Summits & Conferences News
12.India Energy Week 2024: Goa gets ready for India’s largest and only all-encompassing energy exhibition and conference
- Building on the resounding success of the 2023 edition, India Energy Week 2024 is set to take place in Goa from February 6 to 9, 2024.
- This premier event, inaugurated by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi, is the country’s largest and sole comprehensive energy exhibition and conference.
- The event will be held at Quitol, South Goa, with the inauguration ceremony taking place on February 6 at the IPSHEM-ONGC Training Institute. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will officiate the opening, marking the beginning of a four-day event that concludes on February 9.
Ranks & Reports News
13.Mukesh Ambani Tops Global Brand Guardianship Index 2024
- Mukesh Ambani, the visionary leader steering Reliance Industries Limited, secures the first position among Indian executives and an impressive second globally in the prestigious Brand Guardianship Index 2024 by Brand Finance.
- This recognition places Ambani ahead of renowned global leaders such as Satya Nadella, Sundar Pichai, Tim Cook, and Elon Musk.
- Brand Finance’s survey awarded Mukesh Ambani an impressive Brand Guardianship Index (BGI) score of 80.3. He stands just below the leading score of 81.6 held by Huateng Ma of China-based Tencent. The BGI utilizes a balanced scorecard, emphasizing CEOs’ ability to act as stewards of their company’s brand and long-term value.
14.Apurva Chandra Take Charge as Health Secretary
- Apurva Chandra used to be in charge of the Information and Broadcasting department, but now he’s going to be the Health Secretary. He’s been working for the government since 1988, so he has a lot of experience.
- Sanjay Jaju is going to take Apurva Chandra’s old job as the Information and Broadcasting Secretary. He used to work in Telangana and started his government job in 1992.
- Ashish Kumar Bhutani will be the new Secretary for the Ministry of Cooperation. Raj Kumar Goyal is going to be the Secretary for the Department of Border Management. Niten Chandra moves from Legal Affairs to take care of Ex-Servicemen Welfare.
- K. Moses Chalai is now in charge of the Inter-State Council Secretariat. Anil Malik is preparing to lead the Ministry of Women and Child Development after Indevar Pandey retires.
15.Justice Ritu Bahri Becomes Chief Justice of Uttarakhand High Court
- Justice Ritu Bahri has become the new Chief Justice of the Uttarakhand High Court. The Governor, Lt Gen (retd) Gurmit Singh, gave her the oath at a beautiful ceremony at Raj Bhawan.
- The government announced Justice Bahri’s new role on February 2, 2024. She takes over from the previous Chief Justice, Vipin Sanghi, who retired.
- Before this, she was the Acting Chief Justice in Punjab and Haryana. The Supreme Court said she should get this job on November 2, 2023, which is a big deal.
16.Ranveer Singh Joins boAt as a Stakeholder and Brand Ambassador
- Bollywood superstar Ranveer Singh has recently invested in the popular lifestyle brand boAt, becoming not only a stakeholder but also the official face of the brand’s audio products.
- This partnership marks a strategic move for boAt, as they welcome Singh into their illustrious list of brand ambassadors, which already features notable celebrities and sports personalities.
- With Ranveer Singh on board, boAt’s lineup of brand ambassadors now includes some of the most influential names in the entertainment and sports industry, such as Kiara Advani, Rashmika Mandanna, and cricket stars Shreyas Iyer, Hardik Pandya, KL Rahul, and Jemimah Rodrigues.
17.Grammy Awards 2024
- The 66th Annual Grammy Awards, marking a significant milestone in the music industry, celebrated the most remarkable recordings, compositions, and artists of the year, from October 1, 2022, to September 30, 2023.
- Hosting for the fourth consecutive time, Trevor Noah brought his charismatic presence and sharp wit to the stage, making the night unforgettable for both the winners and the worldwide viewers.
- This year’s ceremony not only highlighted the incredible talent and achievements within the music industry but also continued the tradition of celebrating the universal language of music in all its diversity and splendour.
18.Priest Ishwari Prasad Namboodiri Honored with the Shankar Smriti Award
- Priest Ishwari Prasad Namboodiri, the chief priest (Rawal) of the world-renowned Badrinath Dham in Uttarakhand, was honoured with the Shankar Smriti Award in Kerala.
- This recognition marks a significant acknowledgement of his dedication and service to the spiritual domain, enhancing the rich tapestry of Indian religious practices.
- Awarded annually during the 103rd Malliyoor Bhagavat Hamsa Smarana Utsav in Kerala’s Kottayam district, the Shankar Smriti Award celebrates outstanding contributions to spirituality, art, and service.
- The Malliyoor Bhagavat Hamsa Smriti Trust presents this award to individuals who have shown exceptional dedication to ritual practice, meditation, and the pursuit of spiritual service.
Books & Authors News
19.Jagdeep Dhankhar Released the book titled ‘9 Incredible Years of Haryana Government
- Vice President of India Jagdeep Dhankhar has released the book titled ‘9 Incredible Years of Haryana Government – Rise of a New and Vibrant Haryana’ at Surajkund Faridabad.
- The book highlights the state government’s accomplishments over nine years and has been published in Hindi and English languages.
- The book encapsulated perspectives from individuals occupying various positions in politics, education, social work, administration and the judiciary.
- Insightful contributions from intellectuals regarding the state government’s initiatives for the nation and society are also featured in the book.
Science & Technology News
20.Russian Cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko Sets World Record for Most Time in Space
- Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko achieved a historic milestone by setting a world record for the most time spent in space, surpassing his compatriot Gennady Padalka’s previous record of 878 days in orbit.
- At 0830 GMT, Oleg Kononenko officially broke the record, marking a significant achievement in the history of space exploration. His dedication and contributions to space missions have positioned him as a prominent figure in the realm of human spaceflight.
- The 59-year-old cosmonaut surpassed the previous record held by Gennady Padalka, who accumulated a total of 878 days, 11 hours, 29 minutes, and 48 seconds in space.
21.India’s Woman Robot Astronaut “Vyommitra” will fly into Space ahead of ISRO’s ambitious “Gaganyaan” mission
- In a pioneering leap for India’s space endeavors, Vyommitra, the woman robot astronaut developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), is set to embark on an uncrewed mission in the third quarter of this year.
- The mission, named after the Sanskrit words “Vyoma” (Space) and “Mitra” (Friend), signifies a significant stride towards the ambitious Gaganyaan mission, the country’s maiden manned space flight, slated for 2025.
- Vyommitra, equipped with advanced capabilities, is designed to monitor module parameters, issue alerts, and execute life support operations.
- This female robot astronaut simulates human functions in the space environment, interacting seamlessly with the Life Support System. Its tasks include operating six panels and responding to queries, showcasing its versatility for space exploration.
22.Rocky Actor Carl Weathers Passed Away At 76
- On February 1st, 2024, the entertainment world was rocked by the news of the passing of Carl Weathers, a beloved Hollywood actor renowned for his unforgettable roles in ‘Rocky’ and ‘Predator.’ The announcement was made by Deadline, a leading US-based media outlet.
- Born on January 14, 1948, in New Orleans, Carl Weathers embarked on a remarkable journey in the world of cinema. With a career spanning five decades, he left an indelible mark on audiences worldwide.
- Weathers etched his name in cinematic history with his portrayal of Apollo Creed, the charismatic and formidable heavyweight champion in the ‘Rocky’ franchise. His electrifying performances opposite Sylvester Stallone’s Rocky Balboa captivated audiences and earned him a place in the pantheon of Hollywood legends.
23.Namibian President Hage Geingob Passes Away at 82, Undergoing Cancer Treatment
- Namibia is mourning the loss of President Hage Geingob, who succumbed to cancer at the age of 82. He had been undergoing treatment for the illness, leaving the nation in a period of transition.
- Born in 1941, Geingob played a pivotal role in Namibia’s political landscape. He chaired the drafting of Namibia’s constitution and served as the first prime minister after the country gained independence in 1990.
- Namibia, known for its diamond and lithium deposits, faces a shift in leadership as Vice President Nangolo Mbumba takes charge until upcoming elections later in the year. Geingob’s tenure included addressing economic disparities and overseeing the mining sector’s prominence in the country.
5 FEBRUARY CURRENT AFFAIRS 2024 | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR