Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 8 February 2024. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Lok Sabha Passes Finance Bill, New Kazakh President, 2024 Tata Steel Chess Tournament Winner, Former Chile President Passed Away.
Top 24 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 8 February 2024
1.Telangana Govt To Establish Help Desk For Youth In The USA And Abroad
- In response to growing safety concerns among Telangana citizens residing abroad, Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy has announced the establishment of a dedicated help desk.
- This program aims to cater to the diverse requirements of students and young professionals from Telangana who are studying or working abroad.
- Functioning as a hub for advice, aid, and support, the help desk mirrors the government’s unwavering commitment to the well-being of its citizens, regardless of their location.
- Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy has not only taken steps within the state but has also reached out to the Ministry of External Affairs, urging swift action to address the safety concerns of Telangana citizens residing abroad.
2.Uttarakhand Pioneers Uniform Civil Code Implementation in India
- Uttarakhand has marked a significant milestone in India’s legislative history by becoming the first state to implement the Uniform Civil Code (UCC).
- The UCC aims to standardize laws governing personal matters like marriage, divorce, inheritance, and more across all citizens, irrespective of their religion.
- The journey towards implementing the Uniform Civil Code in Uttarakhand began with the formation of a high-level committee led by retired Supreme Court judge, Justice Ranjana P Desai. This committee was tasked with drafting the UCC, which laid the foundation for the Bill passed by the Uttarakhand Assembly.
3.India, Saudi Arabia Explore New Avenues Of Defence Cooperation
- India and Saudi Arabia recently engaged in discussions aimed at bolstering their bilateral defence and strategic cooperation.
- One significant aspect of the discussions was the potential for enhancing joint military training exercises between the two nations.
- Technology transfer emerged as another crucial topic, with both parties exploring avenues for collaboration in defence industrial engagement. This exchange of technology not only strengthens defence capabilities but also promotes indigenous manufacturing and innovation.
4.LS Passes Finance Bill, Completes Interim Budget 2024-25
- The Lok Sabha has successfully passed the Finance Bill, 2024, marking the completion of the interim budget exercise for the fiscal year 2024-25.
- The interim budget does not propose any alterations to the existing tax structure, as the final budget is slated for presentation in July, post the general elections in April-May.
- The Lok Sabha approved the Rs 47.66-lakh crore interim Budget 2024-25 of the Union Government. Additionally, the second batch of supplementary demands for grants was also endorsed by the House.
5.RBI Grants Payment Aggregator Licences to Juspay, Zoho, and Decentro
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has recently granted final authorization to fintech firms Juspay and Decentro, along with software-as-a-service company Zoho, to operate as payment aggregators.
- This approval comes in the wake of stringent criteria set by the regulator and positions these entities alongside other notable players in the payments aggregator landscape. Juspay, Decentro, and Zoho have secured the coveted payment aggregator licences from the RBI.
- They join established names such as Stripe, Zomato, and Tata Pay, who received approval in January, as well as leading fintech players like Razorpay and Cashfree, which acquired the license last year
6.RBI Monetary Policy, Repo Rate Holds Steady at 6.5%
- The Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) has made a pivotal announcement, maintaining the repo rate at 6.5 per cent.
- This decision marks the sixth consecutive time the rate has remained unchanged, following closely on the heels of the Interim Budget presented on February 1, 2024.
- The RBI’s stance continues to focus on the withdrawal of its accommodative monetary policy, aiming to balance inflation control with economic growth. The next meeting of the MPC is scheduled during April 3 to 5, 2024.
7.Tata Group Achieves Historic ₹30 Lakh Crore Market Cap, with TCS Crosses 15 Lakh Crore
- Tata Group has made history by becoming the first Indian conglomerate to surpass the ₹30 lakh crore mark in combined market capitalization.
- This significant achievement is driven by strong performances from key subsidiaries, including Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Tata Motors, Tata Power, and Indian Hotels.
- TCS shares reached a new peak on February 5, with a remarkable surge of over 4 percent, propelling its market capitalization beyond ₹15 lakh crore. This resurgence marks a significant milestone for the leading IT services company.
Important Days News
8.National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day 2024
- National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, observed annually on February 7th, stands as a pivotal moment in the ongoing battle against HIV/AIDS within African American communities. This year’s theme is “Engage, Educate, Empower: Uniting to End HIV/AIDS in Black Communities”.
- This day is dedicated to raising awareness about the disproportionate impact of HIV/AIDS on Black Americans and mobilizing efforts towards prevention, testing, treatment, and care.
- It serves as a call to action for individuals, communities, and policymakers to address the systemic inequalities that contribute to the higher rates of HIV infection among Black populations.
9.Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal Launches Free Bus Travel For Transgender Community
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced a significant government initiative declaring free bus travel for the transgender community within the national capital.
- Kejriwal outlined the plan for expedited Cabinet approval and swift implementation of the scheme, aimed at providing tangible benefits to the transgender community within a few weeks.
- Kailash Gahlot, Delhi minister, elaborated on the operational aspects of the initiative, indicating that transgender individuals would be eligible for free bus services upon presenting government-issued certificates.
10.Dharmendra Pradhan Launched EdCIL Vidyanjali Scholarship Programme
- The Education Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan, recently started the EdCIL Vidyanjali Scholarship Programme. This new program is all about making it easier for students who don’t have much money to get a good education.
- It follows the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020’s goals to make education available to everyone. The program celebrates the success of students from Navodaya Vidyalayas who got into top engineering and technology colleges without extra tutoring.
- Many of these students come from poor backgrounds. The scholarship will help 70 students with a total of Rs 5 crore. The minister thanked businesses and organizations for their support, saying their help makes a big difference for students who need it.
11.Union Ministers Launch Mobile Health Service ‘Kilkari’ and Mobile Academy in Maharashtra and Gujarat
- Union Ministers of State for Health and Family Welfare, Prof. S P Singh Baghel and Dr. Bharati Pravin Pawar, virtually launched the Kilkari programme and Mobile Academy, aimed at strengthening public health infrastructure in Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Kilkari provides timely audio messages on reproductive maternal, neonatal, and child health, while Mobile Academy offers training for Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs) via mobile phones.
- Its objective is to deliver 72 audio messages weekly via IVRS, focusing on reproductive maternal, neonatal, and child health care. It Utilizes the Reproductive Child Health (RCH) portal, targeting beneficiaries registered during pregnancy or after childbirth.
Ranks & Reports News
12.TomTom Traffic Index 2023: London Slowest, Bengaluru Second Most Congested City
- TomTom, a leading expert in location technology, has unveiled revealing insights into the global challenge of traffic congestion. Among the findings, London emerges as a focal point, experiencing the slowest traffic in 2023.
- Bengaluru’s ascent to the second spot as the most congested city in 2023, according to TomTom’s rankings, underscores the urgent need for intervention.
- With Delhi ranking 44th and Mumbai 52nd, there’s a clear imperative for strategic interventions to improve urban mobility and enhance the quality of life for residents.
13.India Ranks 38th Out Of 139 Countries In The World Bank’s LPI Report 2023
- India’s logistics performance has seen remarkable improvements, as indicated by its rank in the Logistics Performance Index (LPI) Report by the World Bank.
- India has significantly climbed in the Logistics Performance Index (LPI) ranking, securing the 38th position out of 139 countries, according to the World Bank’s report.
- This progress reflects a substantial leap from its previous positions of 44 in 2018 and 54 in 2014, underscoring the nation’s commitment to bolstering its logistics infrastructure and efficiency.
14.India will become World’s Biggest Oil Demand Growth Driver by 2030: IEA Projections
- The International Energy Agency (IEA) forecasts India to become the primary driver of global oil demand growth by 2030, despite a projected decline in domestic production.
- This trend, highlighted at the India Energy Week 2024, underscores India’s emergence as the second-largest crude importer worldwide.
- India is projected to register an increase of nearly 1.2 million b/d in oil demand, accounting for over one-third of global gains by 2030. Adoption of electric vehicles and energy efficiency improvements is expected to prevent 480 thousand b/d of additional demand during 2023-2030.
15.NITI Aayog and Kingdom of the Netherlands Joint Report Release: ‘LNG as a Transportation Fuel in Medium and Heavy Commercial Vehicle’
- NITI Aayog and the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands have collaborated on energy transition efforts since 2020. Their joint report, released during India Energy Week on February 6, 2024, focuses on the adoption of LNG as a transportation fuel in medium and heavy commercial vehicles (MHCVs) in India.
- The report identifies obstacles to LNG adoption in India’s MHCV segment, addressing issues such as infrastructure limitations and regulatory frameworks.
- It offers a structured plan to overcome challenges, emphasizing the necessity of transparent implementation frameworks and near-term goals for demand creation and market seeding.
16.UAE’s ADIA Plans $4-5 Billion Investment in India via GIFT City
- The Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) is establishing a substantial investment fund totaling $4-5 billion through India’s Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City), situated in PM Modi’s home state.
- The Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) is the largest sovereign wealth fund in the UAE The regulatory authority overseeing financial services at GIFT City has granted in-principle approval to ADIA for setting up the fund.
- This development marks the first instance of a sovereign wealth fund initiating investments in India via GIFT City. ADIA could commence investments through the fund by the middle of this year. The allocated funds will be gradually deployed into Indian markets over an extended period.
17.Naveen Tahilyani Appointed Tata Digital’s New CEO & MD
- Tata Digital has announced the appointment of Naveen Tahilyani as the new Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of Tata Group’s e-commerce unit.
- Tahilyani, who presently holds the position of CEO and MD at Tata AIA Life Insurance, is set to transition into his new role on February 19, taking over from Pratik Pal.
- The appointment of Tahilyani, a seasoned executive with a proven track record in the insurance, banking, and asset management sectors of the Tata Group, reflects the company’s commitment to accelerating growth and innovation in the digital commerce space.
18.Kazakh President Appoints Olzhas Bektenov as Prime Minister
- Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has appointed Olzhas Bektenov, his chief of staff, as the new prime minister. The swift approval from the ruling Amanat party-dominated parliament underscores the president’s firm grip on power.
- Bektenov, aged 43, previously headed the state anti-corruption agency and assumed the role of presidential administration head in April 2023.
- Olzhas Bektenov served as the head of the state anti-corruption agency before his current appointment. His tenure as the head of the presidential administration commenced in April 2023.
19.SCA Stadium Renamed in Honor of Niranjan Shah Ahead of India-England Test Match
- Saurashtra Cricket Association (SCA) Stadium is set to be rebranded as the Niranjan Shah Stadium. This change comes as a tribute to the former first-class cricketer and senior cricket administrator, Niranjan Shah, marking his immense contributions to the sport and the region.
- The renaming ceremony will be a notable event, taking place in Khandheri, where the stadium has been a central hub for national cricket matches for over a decade.
- Niranjan Shah’s legacy in cricket extends beyond his playing days; from the mid-1960s to the mid-1970s, he represented Saurashtra in 12 first-class games, laying the groundwork for a lifelong association with cricket.
20.Wei Yi Grabs 2024 Tata Steel Chess Tournament
- Grand Master Wei Yi emerged triumphant in the highly anticipated 2024 Tata Steel Chess Tournament, showcasing his exceptional skill and tactical prowess.
- His victory in the thrilling four-player tiebreak, which featured esteemed grandmasters Anish Giri, Gukesh Dommaraju, and Nodirbek Abdusattorov, solidified his position as one of the premier chess players on the global stage.
- While Wei Yi claimed the spotlight in the Masters category, GM Leon Luke Mendonca showcased his exceptional talent by securing victory in the Challengers division.
21.Farooq Nazki, poet and Sahitya Akademi Winner, Passes Away at 83
- Farooq Nazki, a revered poet, broadcaster, and a distinguished recipient of the Sahitya Akademi Award passed away at the age of 83.
- Known for his profound contributions to poetry and his efforts in cultural preservation, Nazki’s life was a testament to the power of words in bridging hearts and minds across diverse backgrounds.
- Nazki’s poetic expressions, characterized by their emotional depth and lyrical beauty, resonated with many, earning him a place among the most cherished poets of his time.
22.Former Chile President Sebastian Pinera Dies In Helicopter Crash
- Chile’s political landscape was shaken as news broke on February 6th of the tragic death of former President Sebastian Pinera in a helicopter crash in the south of the country.
- Pinera, aged 74, was a towering figure in Chilean politics, having served two terms as president, from 2010 to 2014 and again from 2018 to 2022.
- Pinera’s leadership was instrumental in fortifying Chile’s young democracy, particularly as the nation’s first conservative leader following the end of a military dictatorship. His tenure saw significant strides in governance, with initiatives aimed at improving the quality of life for Chileans across various spheres.
23.UAE Awards ‘Golden Visa’ To Super 30 Founder Anand Kumar
- Renowned Mathematics educator Anand Kumar, founder of Super 30, achieved a significant milestone on Tuesday, February 6, as he was granted the prestigious ‘Golden Visa’ by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) government.
- Traditionally dominated by luminaries from entertainment and sports, the Golden Visa now embraces intellectual prowess and educational contribution, exemplified by Kumar’s pioneering work in mathematics education.
- Introduced in 2019 by the UAE government, the Golden Visa aims to attract exceptional foreign talents across various fields, including entrepreneurs, scientists, and outstanding students. It offers recipients the opportunity to reside, work, or study in the UAE, coupled with exclusive benefits.
24.Picture of polar bear falling asleep on iceberg wins top photography prize
- In a celebration of nature’s serene beauty, a photograph depicting a polar bear asleep on an iceberg has clinched the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year People’s Choice Award.
- This enchanting image, titled ‘Ice Bed,’ captured by British amateur photographer Nima Sarikhani, has emerged victorious in a competition that saw a record-breaking 75,000 votes from the public.
- Polar bears, symbols of the Arctic’s wild majesty, face significant threats from climate change and diminishing sea ice. ‘Ice Bed’ not only showcases the stunning beauty of these creatures but also highlights the urgent need for conservation efforts to protect their natural habitat.
8 FEBRUARY CURRENT AFFAIRS 2024 | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR