Current Affairs 02nd May 2023 are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily Current Affairs is the complete bag of important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update for 02nd May 2023 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Here is the Current Affairs 02nd May 2023 covering the following news headlines: India’s manufacturing PMI, Leipzig Book Prize 2023, Kasumi Ishikawa, World Tuna Day 2023, GST revenue, ASEAN India.
Top 18 Daily Current Affairs: National & International News:
Here is providing below the top 18 important Daily General Knowledge 2023 updates with national & international news.
1. India to join international climate action in civil aviation from 2027
- India has announced that it will participate in the International Civil Aviation Organisation’s (ICAO) Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) and the Long-Term Aspirational Goals (LTAG) from 2027.
- The decision was made at a meeting of the Parliament’s Consultative Committee of the Ministry of Civil Aviation held in New Delhi and chaired by the Minister of Civil Aviation Jyotiraditya Scindia.
2. ASEAN India Maritime Exercise, AIME-2023
- Indian Naval Ships Satpura and Delhi on May 1st, 2023, led by RAdm Gurcharan Singh, the Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet, arrived in Singapore to participate in the inaugural ASEAN India Maritime Exercise (AIME-2023).
- The exercise is scheduled to take place from May 2nd to May 8th, 2023.
3. Air Marshal Saju Balakrishnan AVSM, VM Takes Over As 17th Commander-In-Chief, A&N Command
- Air Marshal Saju Balakrishnan took charge as the Commander-in-Chief of the strategically vital Andaman and Nicobar Command, which is India’s only tri-services command.
- Air Marshal Balakrishnan is the 17th Commander-in-Chief of the Andaman and Nicobar Command (CINCAN). He succeeds Lt Gen Ajai Singh.
4. India’s manufacturing PMI at 4-month high in April on output & new orders’ growth
- India’s manufacturing purchasing manager’s index (PMI) surged to a four-month high of 57.2 in April, according to the S&P Global India Manufacturing PMI report.
- This figure is an increase from March’s 56.2 PMI, February’s 55.3 PMI, and January’s 53.7 PMI. A reading above 50 indicates an overall increase in output compared to the previous month.
5. India’s GST Revenues Hit Record High in April At ₹1.87 lakh crore
- India’s gross GST revenues for April 2023 reached a record high of ₹1,87,035 crore, which is a 12% increase from last year’s highest tax tally of ₹1.67 lakh crore for the same month. This article discusses the breakdown of the revenue collected and highlights the key factors contributing to the rise.
- The domestic GST revenues, including the import of services, rose 16% YoY in April. Although the figures for goods import were not revealed, they had increased 8% in March, according to the Finance Ministry.
6. New GST regulations for businesses with turnover of over ₹100 crore
- Starting from May 1, 2023, businesses with an annual turnover of Rs 100 crore or more will be required to abide by a new GST rule.
- This rule mandates the uploading of electronic invoices on the Invoice Registration Portal (IRP) within seven days of their issue.
- The IRP is utilized to validate that these invoices are actually genuine and to assign them a unique Invoice Reference Number for GST purposes.
7. UPI transactions decline in volume & value terms in April
- The National Payments Corporation of India’s “UPI Monthly Product Statistics” reported a decline in the volume and value of UPI transactions in April 2023, following a peak in the previous month.
- The transaction volume declined 7.96% month-on-month (m-o-m) to 796.29 crore, while the transaction value declined 9.51% m-o-m to ₹12.71 lakh crore.
8. India and Russia to Explore Acceptance of RuPay and Mir Payment Cards for Cross-Border Transactions
- India and Russia have agreed to explore the possibility of accepting each other’s payment cards, RuPay and Mir, for hassle-free payments between the two countries.
- The decision was made during the latest meeting of the Internal Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological, and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC), which was jointly chaired by External Affairs Minister of India S Jaishankar and Russia’s Deputy Prime Minister Denis Manturov.
9. World Tuna Day 2023 observed on 2nd May
- World Tuna Day 2023: World Tuna Day is observed on May 2nd every year to raise awareness about the importance of tuna fish and promote sustainable fishing practices.
- Tuna is a popular fish species that is widely consumed around the world, and it plays a crucial role in the marine ecosystem.
- This date represents the accomplishment of fishing communities, scientists, and environmentalists who collaborated to safeguard tuna schools around the globe and develop a model for sustainable fishing. December 2016, the United Nations General Assembly voted to officially observe World Tuna Day.
10. Justice TS Sivagnanam appointed as Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court
- The Indian government has officially announced the appointment of Justice TS Sivagnanam as the Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court. Justice Sivagnanam, who has been the senior-most judge at the court, had been serving as the Acting Chief Justice since March 31, 2023.
- The Supreme Court Collegium had recommended his appointment as the Chief Justice in February of the same year.
11. NTPC and NPCIL sign agreement for joint development of nuclear power plants
- India’s push towards clean energy sources took another leap forward on May 1, when the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) signed a supplementary joint venture agreement with the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) to develop nuclear power projects in the country.
- The two companies will initially focus on developing two pressurised heavy-water reactor (PHWR) projects: the Chutka Madhya Pradesh Atomic Power Project (2×700 MW) and the Mahi Banswara Rajasthan Atomic Power Project (4×700 MW). These projects were identified as part of fleet mode nuclear projects.
Summits and Conferences News
12. Science 20 Engagement Group meeting under India’s G20 Presidency begins
- Science 20, during the opening session of the Thematic Conference on Universal Holistic Health in Bangaram Island, Lakshadweep, India emphasized the significance of respecting and acknowledging cultural diversity in promoting universal holistic health.
- Co-chair of Science 20 and President of Indian National Science Academy, Prof. Ashutosh Kumar Sharma, underscored the importance of incorporating traditional healing practices into modern healthcare systems in upholding cultural identity and values, aside from health and well-being.
13. Russian poet Maria Stepanova wins Leipzig Book Prize 2023
- Maria Stepanova, a renowned Russian writer currently residing in Berlin, has been awarded the Leipzig Book Prize for European Understanding in 2023. Her novel, In Memory of Memory, which delves into the themes of Stalinism and the collapse of the Soviet Union, earned her a nomination for the Booker Prize in 2021.
- However, it was her volume of poetry, Girls Without Clothes, that earned her the prestigious Leipzig Book Prize. This collection of poetry sensitively explores the often concealed violence against women and the power dynamics that fuel this oppression in a highly poetic manner.
14. TT star and three-time Olympic medalist Kasumi Ishikawa announces retirement
- Japanese table tennis star Kasumi Ishikawa, who won three women’s team medals at three consecutive Olympic Games, announced her retirement.
- Ishikawa, who won five national women’s singles championships, was a key figure when the Japanese women’s team won the silver medal, the country’s first Olympic table tennis medal, at London 2012. She went on to help Japan win the women’s bronze medal in Rio 2016 and silver again in Tokyo 2020.
15. Abhilash Tomy completes the Golden Globe Race, finishing second
- Indian sailor Commander Abhilash Tomy (retd.) will finally set foot on land, 236 days after setting sail in the Golden Globe Race (GGR), a solo non-stop yacht race around the world.
- The retired Naval Commander, who is also a recipient of the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award, had on March 22, 2022, declared his participation in the Golden Globe Race 2022, one of the most dangerous and craziest of endeavours. The GGR began on September 4, 2022.
Science and Technology News
16. IIT Madras researchers develop machine learning tool to detect tumour in brain, spinal cord
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras have developed a machine learning-based computational tool called GBMDriver to improve the detection of cancer-causing tumours in the brain and spinal cord.
- The tool is freely accessible and was primarily developed to identify driver mutations and passenger mutations in glioblastoma, a rapidly proliferating tumour.
17. Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson Arun Gandhi passes away at 89
- Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson Arun Gandhi passed away at Kolhapur in Maharashtra. Born to Manilal Gandhi and Sushila Mashruwala in Durban on April 14, 1934, Arun Gandhi followed in the footsteps of his grandfather as an activist.
- Arun Gandhi is an Indian-American activist, speaker, and writer who is known for his work in promoting nonviolence and social justice.
18. Noted historian Ranajit Guha passes away at 100
- Noted historian Ranajit Guha has passed away. He was 100 years old, died at his residence in Austria. Born on May 23, 1923 at Barisal in present-day Bangladesh, Guha’s family later shifted to Kolkata. He had studied in a school in the city and completed his post-graduation in History from Calcutta University.
- Guha retired from the Australian National University in 1988 after being previously associated with other renowned institutions. One of his well-known books is ‘Elementary Aspects of Peasant Insurgency in Colonial India’.
Important Current Affairs of 02nd May 2023
Get all the International, National, Sports, Economy, latest schemes and appointments current affairs updates with Adda247 Headlines of the day. Adda247 headlines of the day brings you the best accumulation of the daily updates. Stay updated with us!