Current Affairs 24th March 2023 are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily Current Affairs is the complete bag of important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update for 24th March 2023 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Here is the Current Affairs 24th March 2023 covering the following news headlines: SVB collapse, Egypt joins BRICS bank, Hindenburg short, Radars and Receivers, Exercise Konkan 2023, INS Androth.
Top 18 Daily Current Affairs: National & International News:
Here is providing below the top 18 important Daily General Knowledge 2023 updates with national & international news.
1. Will SVB collapse impact the Indian talent market?
- Startups that had built their reserves and deposits at SVB are likely to be affected by the bank’s collapse, and efforts are underway to secure and recover their reserves.
- For these startups, the main inconvenience will be a reduction in liquidity and delays in accessing funds.
- However, they have a means of resolving the situation and are unlikely to resort to layoffs. They may need to exercise short-term austerity measures to navigate through this period.
2. Egypt joins BRICS bank as new member weeks after President Sisi’s India visit
- After President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi visited India as a chief guest for the Republic Day celebrations, Egypt has become a member of the BRICS New Development Bank (NDB).
- According to sources familiar with the matter, Egypt officially joined the NDB on February 20, with a formal notification issued on March 22.
- The African-Arab nation intends to enhance its infrastructure, and NDB funding can make a significant contribution toward achieving this goal.
3. Jack Dorsey’s wealth tumbles $526 million after Hindenburg short
- Hindenburg Research’s recent report accusing Block Inc. of ignoring extensive fraud has had a significant impact on co-founder Jack Dorsey’s net worth.
- His fortune experienced its most substantial single-day decline since May, with a drop of 11%, resulting in a decrease of $526 million.
- According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Dorsey’s net worth now stands at $4.4 billion.
4. Defence Ministry Inks Rs 3700 Cr Contracts with BEL for Radars and Receivers
- The Indian Defence Ministry has recently signed two contracts with Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) worth more than Rs 3,700 crore, with the aim to enhance the operational capabilities of the Indian Air Force.
- Under the Buy Indian – IDMM (Indigenously Designed Developed and Manufactured) category, both projects are part of the ongoing vision of Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
- The first contract, worth over Rs 2,800 crore, involves the supply of Medium Power Radars (MPR) ‘Arudhra’, which have been designed and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and will be manufactured by BEL.
- The second contract, with a cost of approximately Rs 950 crore, relates to Radar Warning Receivers (RWR).
5. Annual Bilateral Maritime Exercise Konkan 2023
- The annual bilateral maritime exercise called Konkan 2023 was conducted between the Indian Navy and the Royal Navy from 20th to 22nd March 2023 off the Konkan coast in the Arabian Sea.
- The Royal Navy is the United Kingdom’s naval warfare force.
- The exercise involved INS Trishul, a guided missile frigate, and HMS Lancaster, a Type 23 guided missile frigate, and aimed to improve cooperation and learn best practices through various maritime drills.
- These drills covered air, surface, and sub-surface operations, such as gunnery shoots on an inflatable surface target called ‘Killer Tomato,’ helicopter operations, anti-aircraft, and anti-submarine warfare exercises, Visit Board Search and Seizure (VBSS), ship manoeuvres, and personnel exchange.
- The maritime exercise proved to be highly beneficial for the personnel of both navies, as it displayed a remarkable level of professionalism and enthusiasm throughout its execution.
6. GRSE launched the ‘Most Silent Ship’ INS Androth
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), a shipbuilding company in India, has launched INS Androth, a vessel claimed to be the “most silent ship in the country” for the Indian Navy.
- The vessel is the first in a series of eight anti-submarine warfare shallow-watercraft to be delivered to the navy.
- The ships will be used for patrolling, search and rescue operations, and other military missions.
- The INS Androth has been designed to accommodate 50 crew members and is equipped with state-of-the-art communication systems, radars, and sonars to detect and track enemy submarines.
7. Income tax dept launches mobile app AIS for Taxpayers
- On March 22, the Income Tax Department launched a mobile application called “AIS for Taxpayer” that enables taxpayers to view their tax-related information in the Annual Information Statement (AIS) or Taxpayer Information Summary (TIS).
- The app has become essential and beneficial since starting from the new financial year on April 1, Form 26AS will only show information related to tax deducted at source (TDS) and tax collection at source (TCS).
- Taxpayers need to refer to the AIS for various details, including installments of advance tax paid, self-assessment tax, income-tax refund, Statement of Financial Transactions (SFT), and turnover as per Goods and Service Tax (GST) return, among other things.
8. Ashneer Grover launched cricket fantasy sports app ‘CrickPe’
- Ashneer Grover, co-founder of BharatPe, has launched a new cricket-focused fantasy sports app named CrickPe ahead of the Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament.
- This app will compete against rivals such as Dream11, Mobile Premier League (MPL), and Games24x7’s My11Circle.
- Third Unicorn Pvt Ltd, founded by Ashneer Grover, has raised $4 million in seed funding from more than two dozen angel investors, including Anmol Singh Jaggi, Anirudh Kedia, and Vishal Kedia.
- Previously, Grover was associated with BharatPe and Grofers, both of which are unicorns.
- The app is targeting the upcoming IPL tournament for its launch and is allowing users to participate in contests for IPL matches starting from March 31, 2023.
9. RBI allows India and Tanzania to use national currencies for trading
- India and Tanzania have received approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to utilize their respective national currencies in bilateral trade settlements.
- This move is anticipated to decrease transaction costs and improve the effectiveness of cross-border trade, resulting in higher trade volumes and increased economic collaboration between the two nations.
- According to Binaya Pradhan, the Indian High Commissioner to Tanzania, the recent development of allowing the use of the Indian Rupee and the Tanzanian Shilling (Tsh) for settling bilateral trade is a positive development for the business community.
10. Canara Bank sells stake in Russian joint venture to SBI for Rs 121 crore
- Canara Bank has announced that it sold its stake in Commercial Indo Bank LLC (CIBL), a joint venture with State Bank of India (SBI), to SBI for approximately ₹121.29 crore.
- CIBL, which was established in 2003, operates in Russia and is owned 60% by SBI and 40% by Canara Bank.
- According to Canara Bank, the sale agreement was executed on November 11, 2022.
- According to a regulatory filing, Canara Bank has confirmed that it has received the full consideration amount of ₹121.29 crore for the sale of its stake in Commercial Indo Bank LLC to SBI.
- The agreement for the sale of Canara Bank’s stake to SBI was announced in January of this year and the entire transfer of shares was completed on November 11, 2022, as per the agreement.
11. World Tuberculosis Day 2023 observed on 24 March
- World Tuberculosis Day is observed on March 24th every year to raise awareness about the global epidemic of tuberculosis (TB) and efforts to eliminate the disease.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) aims to end the TB epidemic by 2030. The organization works with governments, non-governmental organizations, and other partners to increase access to TB prevention, diagnosis, and treatment, and to develop new tools and strategies for TB control.
- On World Tuberculosis Day, organizations and individuals around the world organize events and activities to raise awareness about TB, its causes, symptoms, and treatment, and to promote efforts to eliminate the disease.
- The day provides an opportunity for people to come together and take action to help end the TB epidemic.
- The theme for this year’s World Tuberculosis Day is “Yes! We can end TB!” and it focuses on urging leaders from around the world to take action to stop the TB epidemic.
12. International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims
- On the 24th of March every year, the International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims is commemorated in honor of Monsignor Óscar Arnulfo Romero, who was assassinated on this day in 1980.
- Monsignor Romero was passionately involved in speaking out against the infringement of human rights suffered by the most marginalized people in El Salvador.
- The International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims aims to honor the memory of victims who have suffered from gross and systemic human rights violations, while promoting the significance of the right to truth and justice.
Science and Technology News
13. Surge in Covid-19 cases in India linked to highly contagious XBB1.16 variant
- India has seen a surge in daily Covid-19 infections, with 349 cases of the newly detected XBB1.16 variant, which may be responsible for the recent increase in cases.
- According to data from the Indian SARS-CoV-2 Genomics Consortium (INSACOG), Maharashtra has the highest number of XBB1.16 variant cases with 105 cases, followed by Telangana with 93 cases, Karnataka with 61 cases, and Gujarat with 54 cases.
- The XBB1.16 variant, which is considered to be the most contagious variant so far, is a recombinant lineage of the virus and a descendant of the XBB lineage of Covid-19. It was first detected in India in January 2022, when two samples tested positive for the variant. In February, 140 XBB1.16 variant samples were reported, and in March, 207 XBB1.16 variant samples were found.
14. NASA and ISRO have jointly manufactured an earth science satellite named, NISAR
- Dr. Jitendra Singh, the Union Minister of State for Science & Technology, announced in the Rajya Sabha that NASA and ISRO have collaboratively built an earth science satellite called NISAR (NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar).
- The satellite’s primary objectives are to design, develop, and launch a dual-frequency (L and S band) radar imaging satellite, and to explore new application areas using L & S Band microwave data, particularly in surface deformation studies, terrestrial biomass structure, natural resource mapping and monitoring, and research on the dynamics of ice-sheets, glaciers, forests, oil slicks, etc.
Books and Authors
15. Anurag Behar authors the New Book “A Matter of the Heart: Education in India”
- Anurag Behar, the CEO of Azim Premji Foundation and founding vice-chancellor of Azim Premji University, has authored a new travel book titled “A Matter of the Heart: Education in India”.
- The book is a collection of 110 stories, based on Behar’s experiences working at the foundation, and sheds light on the state of education in India beyond the major cities.
- Through his writing, Behar pays tribute to the educators who are shaping the future of the country.
- The book has been published by Westland Nonfiction, which is a division of Nasadiya Technologies Pvt Ltd.
- Behar is a well-known educationist and leader in India’s social sector.
16. Shrimant Kokate’s 1st book in English “Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj” released
- Shrimant Kokate, a well-known Marathi author and historian, has recently released his first English book titled “Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj (illustrated)”, which has been translated by Dilip Chavan.
- The book was released by Amol Kolhe, a popular MP and actor known for his portrayals of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and Sambhaji Maharaj in Marathi TV series.
- Kokate is renowned for his four books on Shivaji, which have received great reviews and have been widely read.
- He has written a total of 10 books on various subjects.
17. Director Pradeep Sarkar passes away at 67
- Pradeep Sarkar, a renowned filmmaker who directed successful movies like Parineeta and Mardaani, has passed away at the age of 67.
- He began his career in directing with the film Parineeta in 2005, starring Vidya Balan, and went on to direct other popular movies such as Laga Chunari Mein Daag, Helicopter Eela, and Lafangey Parindey.
- In addition, he also directed several web series, including Coldd Lassi Aur Chicken Masala, Arranged Marriage And Forbidden Love, and Duranga.
- Sarkar received several accolades for his work, including the Filmfare Award for Best Art Direction and Zee Cine Award for Most Promising Director for Parineeta in 2005 and the Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film of a Director in 2006.
18. Google Doodle celebrates 77th birth anniversary of late Kitty O’Neil
- Google Doodle: Kitty O’Neil, a famous American stuntwoman and actress who was deaf from a young age, was commemorated by Google on her 77th birthday anniversary with a doodle featuring her in a yellow jumpsuit.
- She went on to become one of Hollywood’s most famous stunt drivers.
- Google celebrated Kitty O’Neil’s 77th birth anniversary with a doodle that depicted her in a yellow jumpsuit.
- Despite being deaf since childhood, she became a well-known stunt driver in Hollywood and held the women’s absolute land speed record until 2019.
Important Current Affairs of 24th March 2023
Get all the International, National, Sports, Economy, latest schemes and appointments current affairs updates with Adda247 Headlines of the day. Adda247 headlines of the day brings you the best accumulation of the daily updates. Stay updated with us!