Directions (1-5): Each of the following questions has a paragraph from which one sentence has been deleted. From the given options, choose the sentence that completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way.
Q1. As the coronavirus outbreak forces workers to stay at home, software engineers have faced a challenge accessing secure networks they’d typically only use at the office. The U.S. Air Force is no exception. To solve the problem, the Air Force recently________________________. The company’s cloud-based portal solves the secure access problem for engineers working on code. At the Air Force, that can mean software that monitors the service’s fighter jets in the air.
(a) Even during a time when funding rounds
(b) With interest from the armed forces
(c) They don’t have a secure way to work
(d) Turned to an Austin-based startup called Coder
(e) The company says it’s booked $1.5 million
Q2. Nonprofits are getting pummeled by the effects of coronavirus, as donation dollars dry up and fundraising events move to less lucrative online formats. And according to the Nonprofit Finance Fund, only 25% of nonprofits typically have enough cash on hand to last more than six months. So while nonprofits increasingly rely on the written word to court donations, AI-enabled writing assistance company Grammarly ____________________during this time to nonprofits around the world. Grammarly currently plans to provide to qualifying organizations access to the service through the end of 2020.
(a) Will not require any financial information upfront
(b) Will be extending complimentary premium subscriptions
(c) About the importance of communication for many
(d) The company’s headquarters is now in San Francisco
(e) Expanded to have multiple enterprise offerings
Q3. The COVID-19 pandemic has been a negative, life-altering event for restaurant owners across the world. Even before COVID-19, it was well known that running a successful, profitable restaurant was one of the most difficult things for any talented business owner to do. So difficult, in fact, that Restaurant Brokers concludes 90% of independently owned restaurants, i.e. neighborhood restaurants, close during their first year, and the remaining 10% will only survive a total of five years. It is heartbreaking then, to see an already challenging ______________________ COVID-19.
(a) Industry face a watershed event like
(b) Without the option to host customers
(c) Restaurant dine-in traffic is down 100% in major cities
(d) Restaurants may have already closed
(e) These restaurants are relying on Instagram
Q4. On April 24, 1990, the Hubble Space Telescope rocketed into low-Earth orbit, where it’s remained for 30 years. It was _______________________lifetime, correcting flaws, repairing and replacing on-board equipment and installing improved instruments. Even today, 30 years after its launch and 11 years after its final servicing, it remains the greatest space-based optical observatory in all of human history.
(a) It’s easy to look back at the myriad of discoveries
(b) Even more important than any specific discoveries
(c)Serviced four times throughout its
(d) Spectacular piece of equipment to advance
(e) Astronomers have no choice but to contend
Q5. Engineers have developed a solid-state digital power management and control system for commonplace electrical appliances _____________________to be interconnected and communicating in real-time. By eliminating the need for transformers, magnets and relays found inside everyday items like wall sockets and replacing them with a smaller, more reliable solid-state circuit boards that are a quarter of the size, those same plug points or light switches could also incorporate motion sensors, voice control, smoke detection, Wi-Fi signal boosters, energy metering and a host of other useful applications.
(a) Envisions a home where every electrical
(b) Ecosystem for energy awareness and automation
(c) While the concept of a digital home is nothing
(d) That could enable every household
(e) Solid-state control of electricity changes the rules
S1. Ans. (d)
Sol. “turned to an Austin-based startup called Coder” completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way. Hence, option (d) is the right answer choice.
S2. Ans. (b)
Sol. “Will be extending complimentary premium subscriptions” completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way. Hence, option (b) is the right answer choice.
S3. Ans. (a)
Sol. “Industry face a watershed event like” completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way. Hence, option (a) is the right answer choice.
S4. Ans. (c)
Sol. “Serviced four times throughout its” completes the paragraph in the most
appropriate way. Hence, option (c) is the right answer choice.
S5. Ans. (d)
Sol. “That could enable every household” completes the paragraph in the most appropriate way. Hence, option (d) is the right answer choice.