Directions (1-5): In each one of the following sentences, there are two blank spaces. Below each sentence, there are five pairs of words denoted by numbers (1), (2), (3), (4) and (5). Find out which pair of words can be filled up in the blanks .n the sentence in the same sequence to make it, meaningfully complete.
1.In a society that abhors ……… , the nonconformist is persistently ………
(a) creativity, glorified
(b) rebelliousness, suppressed
(c) insurgency, heeded
(d) smugness, persecuted
(e) stagnation, denigrated
2.The editor expected her reporters to be ……. but the number of …….. in the articles submitted clearly showed that her expectations were often not met.
(a) impartial, cliches
(b) frank, predictions
(c) decisive, facts
(d) creative, errors
(e) accurate, misquotations
3. The …….. of Sandra Cisneros’ works, which have sold many thousands of copies, is reflected in her ……. Readership.
(a) variety . . narrow
(b) popularity . . wide
(c) provincialism . . liberal
(d) integrity . . scattered
(e) control . . concerned
4. The establishment of a woman’s college by the Cherokee nation during the 1850’ is one of many ……. Of the considerable status traditionally …….
(a) illustrations, held
(b) refutations, sustained
(c) demonstrations, relinquished
(d) explications, enjoyed
(e) manifestations, studied
5.Because Ruth’s parents often ……. Their plans as soon as they were formed, she assumed all adults were as …… as her parents.
(a) cancelled, indulgent
(b) developed, vivacious
(c) solidified, capricious
(d) changed, mercurial
(e) altered, obstinate
Directions (6-10). Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical error or idiomatic error in it. The error, if any, will he in one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is ‘No error’, the answer is ‘5’. (Ignore errors of punctuation, if any).
6. Since the online education system (a)/ has been poorly designed there (b)/ are not many institute (c) that offer this facility. (d)/ No error (e)
7. Unless the new resolution is (a)/ completely reviewed it (b) will cause a great deal of (c)/ trouble for new employees. (d)/ No error (e)
8. After careful scrutiny of the report (a)/ variety mistakes that had been (b)/made by the research (c)/ department were found. (d)/ No error (e)
9. His industrious nature (a)/ and calm temperament (b)/ have endeared him (c)/ to his colleagues and one’s superiors. (d)/ No error (e)
10. The celebrities that organized (a)/ the marathon were aiming (b)/ to create an awareness (c)/ about the treatment of diabetes. (d)/ No error (e)