The knowledge of Static Awareness is very important for all govt. Examinations whether it is SSC, Banking or UPSC. The knowledge of Current Affairs and various important facts about different countries can also give you an upper hand in interviews and cracking General Awareness section. Recently UAE was in the news as Amazon made an entry in UAE by acquiring Souq.com and Norway Ranked No.1 on Human Development Index. Russia was also in the news as Russian VTB Bank decided to close its only office in India. India, Singapore sign 3rd protocol for amending DTAA and Bhutan was is news as its Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay attended the inaugural ceremony of ‘Namami Brahmaputra’ festival in Assam.
Generally the questions that you’ll face in examination will be from countries currently in news for various reasons, so it is important to be updated and revise facts about them. Read further to brush your general knowledge about Norway, Russia, Singapore, Bhutan and U.A.E.
Norway (in Europe) is a Scandinavian country encompassing mountains, glaciers and deep coastal fjords. Oslo, the capital, is a city of green spaces and museums. Preserved 9th-century Viking ships are displayed at Oslo’s Viking Ship Museum. Bergen, with colorful wooden houses, is the starting point for cruises to the dramatic Sognefjord. Norway is also known for fishing, hiking and skiing, notably at Lillehammer’s Olympic resort.
Currency- Norwegian krone
Prime Minister- Erna Solberg
Central bank of Norway- Norges Bank
Governor of Norges Bank- Oystein Olsen
Important Facts about Norway:
1. Norway has become the first country to cease FM radio broadcasting.
2. Human Development Index is topped by Norway for 2015.
Russia, the world’s largest nation, borders European and Asian countries as well as the Pacific and Arctic oceans. Its landscape ranges from tundra and forests to subtropical beaches. It’s famous for Moscow’s Bolshoi and St. Petersburg’s Mariinsky ballet companies. St. Petersburg, founded by Russian leader Peter the Great, has the baroque Winter Palace, now housing part of the State Hermitage Museum’s art collection.
Currency- Russian ruble
President- Vladimir Putin
Prime minister- Dmitry Medvedev
Parliament- The Federal Assembly
Central Bank of Russia- Bank of Russia
Governor of the Bank of Russia- Elvira Nabiullina
Important Fact about Russia:
1. Russian Railways is helping India’s national transporter increase the speed of its passenger trains up to 200 km per hour.
2. Russia is the largest country in the world by area.
3. Russian bank VTB has decided to close its only office in New Delhi, India to cut costs but will continue to work in India, the bank stated.
Singapore, an island city-state off southern Malaysia, is a global financial center with a tropical climate and multicultural population. Its colonial core centers on the Padang, a cricket field since the 1830s and now flanked by grand buildings such as City Hall, with its 18 Corinthian columns. In Singapore’s circa-1820 Chinatown stands the red-and-gold Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, said to house one of Buddha’s teeth.
Currency- Singapore dollar
Parliament- Parliament of Singapore
Prime Minister: Lee Hsien Loong
President- Tony Tan
Central Bank of Singapore- Monetary Authority of Singapore
Chairman of Monetary Authority of Singapore- Mr. Tharman Shanmugaratnam
Important facts about Singapore:
1. India has received the maximum FDI inflows from Singapore in 2015-16 followed by Mauritius, the US, the Netherlands and Japan.
2. Singapore Exchange Limited is an investment holding company located in Singapore and provides different services related to securities and derivatives trading and others.
Bhutan is officially the Kingdom of Bhutan is a landlocked country in Asia and the smallest state located entirely within the Himalaya mountain range. Located in the Eastern Himalayas, it is bordered by China in the north and India in the south. Bhutan lacks a border with nearby Nepal due to the Indian state of Sikkim and with Bangladesh due to the Indian states of West Bengal and Assam. Bhutan is geopolitically in South Asia and is the region’s second least populous nation after the Maldives.
King- Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck
Prime Minister- Tshering Tobgay
Currency- Bhutanese ngultrum
Parliament- National Assembly of Bhutan
Central Bank of Bhutan- The Royal Monetary Authority of Bhutan
The United Arab Emirates is an Arabian Peninsula nation settled mainly along the Persian (Arabian) Gulf. The country is a federation of 7 emirates. Abu Dhabi, the island capital, is home to Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, with crystal chandeliers and room for 40,000 worshipers. Dubai is the site of ultramodern Burj Khalifa tower, enormous shopping centers and extravagant entertainment attractions.
Currency- United Arab Emirates dirham
President- Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Vice-President and Prime Minister- Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Central Bank of UAE- Central Bank of UAE
Governor of Central Bank of UAE- H. E. Mubarak Rashed Khamis Al Mansoori
Important Facts about UAE:
1. The world’s tallest artificial structure Burj Khalifa (2,722 ft tall) is located in Dubai, UAE.
2. Diplomat Vipul, a 1998 batch Indian Foreign Service officer took up the charge as the new Consul General of Dubai, UAE.
3. Crown Prince of the UAE Sheikh Zayed visited New Delhi as the Chief Guest during the recently concluded Republic Day (26th January 2017) ceremony.