Here is the daily GK update of 04th & 05th October 2020 covering the following news headlines: Atal Tunnel, Swachh Bharat Awards, Shaurya Missile, SS Kalpana Chawla, International Online Shooting Championship.
Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of the important news that held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about the banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of 04th & 05th October 2020 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
1.PM Modi dedicates Atal Tunnel to the nation
- The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi has dedicated Atal Tunnel to the nation, on 3rd October 2020. In December 2019, the Government has decided to name the Rohtang Tunnel as Atal Tunnel in honour of the former Prime Minister and scholar Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Atal Tunnel is the world’s longest highway tunnel above 10,000 feet from the Mean Sea Level (MSL).
- The tunnel has been named after former Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Atal tunnel has been built, by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), under the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal Range of the Himalayas on the Leh-Manali Highway in Himachal Pradesh.
- The total length of the tunnel is 9.02 km and at an elevation of 3,100 metres (10,171 ft).
- The overall cost of completion of the project is around Rs. 3200 crore.
2. Swachh Bharat Awards 2020 announced
- The Union Minister for Jal Shakti, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat and the Minister of State for Jal Shakti, Rattan Lal Kataria virtually conferred the Swachh Bharat 2020 Awards to the best performing States/UTs, districts, blocks, GPs in various categories.
- The Ministry of Jal Shakti is observing the Swachh Bharat Diwas, 2020 on 2nd October to mark six years of the launch of the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM).
The Swachh Bharat 2020 Awards were conferred under three categories which are:
- Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shauchalaya (SSSS) campaign
- Samudayik Shauchalaya Abhiyan (SSA)
- Gandagi Se Mukt (GMB) campaign
Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shauchalaya (SSSS) campaign
- Best State: Gujarat
- Best District: Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu
- Best Block: Khachrod, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh
- Best Gram Panchayat: Chinnaur, (Salem)
Samudayik Shauchalaya Abhiyan (SSA)
- Best State: Uttar Pradesh (GKRA) and Gujarat (Non-Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan (GKRA)]
- Best District: Prayagraj (GKRA) and Bareilly (Non-GKRA)
- Best Gram Panchayat: Borigaon, Bongaigaon, Assam.
Gandagi Se Mukt (GMB) campaign
- Best State: Telangana and Haryana.
- Best District: Moga, Punjab.
3. India successfully test-fires “Shaurya Missile” from Odisha coast
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test-fired a new version of the surface-to-surface nuclear-capable ballistic missile “Shaurya” at Balasore, off the coast of Odisha.
- The new version of the nuclear-capable missile can strike targets at a range of around 800 km.
- The missile would be lighter and easier to operate in comparison with the existing missile.
- It is an advanced version of Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM) K-15 (B-05).
- It is 10 metres long, 74 cm in diameter and weighs 6.2 tonnes.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- DRDO Chairman: Dr G. Satheesh Reddy.
- DRDO Headquarters: New Delhi.
4. Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2020 announced
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2020 was awarded jointly to Harvey J. Alter(America), Charles M. Rice (America) and Michael Houghton (Britain) for the discovery of the Hepatitis C virus.
- The head of the Nobel Committee, Thomas Perlmann has announced the winners in Stockholm.
- This year’s Nobel Prize is awarded to three scientists who have made a decisive contribution to the fight against blood-borne hepatitis, a major global health problem that causes cirrhosis and liver cancer in people around the world.
- The prestigious award comes with a gold medal and prize money of 10 million Swedish kronor (over $1,118,000), courtesy of a bequest left 124 years ago by the prize’s creator, Swedish inventor Alfred Nobel.
5. Right Livelihood Award 2020 announced
- The four activists Ales Bialiatski of Belarus, Nasrin Sotoudeh of Iran, Bryan Stevenson of the United States(US) and Lottie Cunningham Wren of Nicaragua shared the 2020 award for their contribution towards equality, democracy, justice and freedom.
- Ales Bialiatski and Nasrin Sotoudeh received the award for their contribution to the realisation of democracy in Belarus and human rights in Iran respectively.
- Bryan Stevenson, a US civil rights lawyer, received the award for his efforts to reform the criminal justice system and the advance racial reconciliation in the US.
- Lottie Cunningham Wren received the award for her contribution in protecting indigenous lands and communities from exploitation.
6. SBI appoints Charanjit Attra as CFO
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has appointed Charanjit Singh Attra as its new Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with effect from 01 October 2020.
- The post was lying vacant after the former Deputy MD & CFO Prashant Kumar, was appointed as the CEO of Yes Bank in March 2020.
- C Venkat Nageshwar was serving the post on interim capacity.
- Attra is a former Partner at global consulting firm EY India and had also served as the CFO at the ICICI Securities.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chairman of SBI: Rajnish Kumar.
- SBI Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Science and Technology
7. NASA launched SS Kalpana Chawla Cargo Spacecraft to ISS
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has launched the Northrop Grumman Cygnus resupply spacecraft named “SS Kalpana Chawla” after its astronaut Kalpana Chawla.
- The spacecraft was launched on an Antares rocket from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS) at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia, United States (US) to deliver nearly 8,000 pounds of scientific investigations, technology demonstrations, commercial products, and other cargo to the International Space Station (ISS).
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Administrator of National Aeronautics and Space Administration: Jim Bridenstine.
- Headquarters of NASA: Washington D.C., United States.
8. World Space Week: 04-10 October
- World Space Week (WSW) is observed from October 4 to 10 every year to celebrate science and technology, and their contribution towards the betterment of the human condition.
- The 2020 theme is “Satellites Improve Life.”
- WSW was declared by the United Nations General Assembly on December 6, 1999.
- The dates commemorate the launch of the first artificial satellite, Sputnik I, on 4 October 1957 and the entry into force of the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies on 10 October 1967.
Books and Authors
9. Jitendra Singh launched a book titled ‘Discovering the Heritage of Assam’
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh has released a Coffee Table Book on “Discovering the Heritage of Assam”, written by Padampani Bora and having foreword by Amitabh Bachchan.
- The book depicts the heritage, faith, beliefs and traditions of different ethnic tribes and subtribes living in Assam, the largest State of the North Eastern Region. The book by Padampani Bora will help to understand the grand splendour and glory of the undiscovered facets of Assam.
10. Visnu Shivaraj Pandian wins International Online Shooting Championship
- India’s Visnu Shivaraj Pandian has won the 10m air rifle event at the fifth edition of the International Online Shooting Championship.
- The 16-year-old Visnu shot 251.4 to win the title by a clear margin of two points.
- The world No. 27 Etienne Germond of France came second followed by Martin Strempfl of Austria at third place.
11. World Teachers’ Day: 5th October
- World Teachers’ Day is observed globally on 5th October since 1994.
- The day provides the occasion to celebrate the teaching profession worldwide, take stock of achievements, and draw attention to the voices of teachers, who are at the heart of efforts to attain the global education target of leaving no one behind.
- In 2020, World Teachers’ Day will celebrate teachers with the theme “Teachers: Leading in crisis, reimagining the future”.
12. Veteran Social activist Pushpa Bhave passes away
- Veteran social activist, Prof Pushpa Bhave, also known as the Iron Lady of Mumbai, has passed away.
- She has been associated with the Rashtra Seva Dal and democratic movements since her student days.
- She was also an academician and an intellectual, who fought for the rights of common citizens.
- She had taken part in the Samyukta Maharashtra movement and the Goa liberation movement.
13. Bollywood actress Mishti Mukherjee passes away
- Bollywood actress Mishti Mukherjee, who has featured in many Hindi, Bengali and Telugu films, and music videos has passed away.
- Besides featuring in major Bengali projects, Mishti made her debut in Bollywood with the film Life Ki Toh lag Gayi in 2012 and worked as the lead actress in Subhash Ghai’s 2014 film “Kaanchi: The Unbreakable”.
14. Kuwait’s Emir, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmed al-Sabah passes away
- The incumbent Emir (King or Ruler) of the Kuwait Sabah al-Ahmed al-Sabah, has passed away.
- He had ruled the oil-rich Gulf Arab state since 2006.
- Meanwhile, his brother, Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmed, has been named as his successor by the cabinet.
- The 83-year-old Nawaf al-Ahmed took the oath of the office of 30 September 2020.
4th & 5th October Current Affairs 2020 | Current Affairs Today | Daily Current Affairs 2020
All the Best BA’ians for RBI Assistant Mains!