Here is the Daily GK Update of 08th and 09th August 2021 covering the following news headlines: Nagasaki Day, Rail Madad, MS Dhoni, James Anderson, PM-DAKSH, 79th anniversary of Quit India movement, Tokyo Olympics 2020.
Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of the important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of 08th and 09th August 2021 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Top 15 Daily GK Updates: National & International News
Here is providing below the top 15 important Daily General Knowledge GK 2021 updates with national & international news
1. Ministry for Social Justice launches ‘PM-DAKSH’ Portal and Mobile App
- The Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Dr Virendra Kumar has unveiled a portal and mobile application named ‘PM-DAKSH’, which aims to make the skill development schemes accessible to the target groups.
- The ‘PM-DAKSH’ stands for Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi (PM-DAKSH) Yojana. The portal can be accessed at: http://pmdaksh.dosje.gov.in.
- The platform has been developed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, in collaboration with National E-Governance Division (NeGD), under the Department Of Electronics And Information Technology.
- The training programs will be implemented through Government Training Institutes, Sector Skill Councils constituted by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship and other credible institutions.
2. Indian Railways Launches Rail Madad: A Unified Customer Care Solution
- Indian Railways has launched an integrated one-stop solution “Rail Madad” in which the national transporter has merged a number of existing helplines that were used for various purposes into one.
- The Railway ministry toll-free number 139 can be used for all kinds of enquiries and making complaints and the helpline facility is available round-the-clock in 12 languages.
- Rail Madad, the integrated and innovative one-stop solution for customer grievance, enquiry, suggestion and assistance, providing passengers with the choice to access RailMadad through multiple channels, namely, Web, App, SMS, Social Media and Helpline number (139) during the journey for expeditious resolution of their complaints.
3. Karnataka becomes first state to issue order implementing NEP-2020
- Karnataka has become the first state in the country to issue the order with regard to the implementation of the National Education Policy-2020.
- The state government has issued an order on the implementation of NEP-2020 with effect from the current academic year 2021-2022.
- This policy seeks to entirely overhaul the system through various reforms: A single regulator to oversee higher education; no more MPhil courses before PhD; fixed fees for public and private institutions; students can choose between three and four-year undergraduate courses; multiple entries and exit points in degree courses.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chief Minister of Karnataka: Basavaraj S Bommai;
- Karnataka Governor: Thawar Chand Gehlot;
- Karnataka Capital: Bengaluru.
4. GoI approves 1-year extension to Rajiv Gauba’s term as Cabinet Secretary
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has extended the term of service of Rajiv Gauba, as the Cabinet Secretary of India, for a further period of one year.
- Gauba, a 1982-batch IAS officer of Jharkhand cadre, was appointed to the top bureaucratic post of the country in August 2019 for two years.
- His term of service was to end on August 30, 2021. Prior to this, Mr Gauba was Union Home Secretary from August 2017 to August 2019.
5. MS Dhoni becomes first brand ambassador of HomeLane
- Home interiors brand HomeLane has entered into a three-year strategic partnership with Mahendra Singh Dhoni as an equity partner and brand ambassador. As part of the partnership, Dhoni will own equity in HomeLane and will be the company’s first brand ambassador.
- With the upcoming cricket and festive season, HomeLane and MS Dhoni are jointly working on a brand new campaign that will be released during the new IPL season. The partnership will last for the next three years. Dhoni will not only become an equity partner but also a brand ambassador for the company.
6. India-UAE Navy undertakes bilateral exercise ‘Zayed Talwar 2021’
- The Indian Navy and UAE Navy conducted the bilateral naval exercise ‘Zayed Talwar 2021’ on August 07, 2021, off the coast of Abu Dhabi.
- The main objective of the ‘Zayed Talwar 2021’ naval exercise was to enhance interoperability and synergy between the two navies. Indian Navy participated with INS Kochi, with two integral Sea King MK 42B helicopters, deployed in the Persian Gulf.
- From UAE, UAES AL – Dhafra, a Baynunah class guided missile corvette and one AS – 565B Panther helicopter took part in the exercise.
7. Haryana govt signs MoU with Walmart Vriddhi to help MSMEs
- The Haryana government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ‘Walmart Vriddhi’ and ‘Haqdarshak’ to create a pathway for Indian MSMEs’ products to move to the international markets.
- The MoU was signed in the presence of Haryana Deputy Chief Minister Dushyant Chautala, Vikas Gupta, MSME Department Director-General, the Indian government, Nitin Dutt from Walmart Vriddhi, and Aniket Doegar (CEO of Haqdarshak).
- To promote MSMEs apart from large industries, many important concessions have been given to investors in ‘Haryana Enterprises and Employment Policy-2020’. This move will bring a big opportunity for the MSME sector, as their products will be displayed in 24 countries and will be available in 10,500 stores under 48 banners.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Haryana Capital: Chandigarh;
- Haryana Governor: Bandaru Dattatraya;
- Haryana Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar.
- The Tokyo Olympics 2020 came to an end on August 08, 2021. The international multi-sport event was held from July 23 to August 08, 2021, in Tokyo, Japan.
- This was for the fourth time that Japan hosted the Olympic Games, after previously hosting the Tokyo 1964 (Summer), Sapporo 1972 (Winter), and Nagano 1998 (Winter) games. Apart from this, Tokyo is the first Asian city to hold the Summer Games twice.
To read the complete article: Click here
9. James Anderson becomes 3rd highest wicket-taker in Test cricket
- James Anderson overtook Anil Kumble’s tally of 619 Test wickets to become the third-highest wicket-taker in Test cricket. He achieved this huge feat after KL Rahul knocked one to wicket-keeper Jos Buttler.
- His current wickets tally stands at 621 from 163 Tests. Anderson is currently the highest wicket-taker among the fast bowlers and is the only pacer in the 600 club. He achieved the milestone on the 3rd day of the Nottingham Test against India.
Books and Authors News
10. A book titled “The Year That Wasn’t – The Diary of a 14-Year-Old” released
- Veteran actor Shabana Azmi has launched the book titled “The Year That Wasn’t – The Diary of a 14-Year-Old”, which is penned by Kolkata girl Brisha Jain.
- The book was written by a 14-year-old girl, which chronicles the lockdown days seen through her eyes as the Covid-19 pandemic spreading last year.
- The book handholds readers through a journey – the hopeful beginning of a new decade, the confusion triggered by a pandemic, lockdown travails, coping with the whole new world of online schooling, a new digital divide, the vaccine race, the waning of the pandemic’s severity and it’s a resurgence.
11. Nation observes 79th anniversary of Quit India movement
- The 79th anniversary of the August Kranti Din or Quit India Movement, which is considered as one of the important milestones in the history of the freedom struggle of our country, is being observed on 8 August 2021.
- On 8 Aug 1942, Mahatma Gandhi gave a clarion call to end British rule and launched the Quit India Movement at the session of the All-India Congress Committee in Mumbai.
- After the failure of Cripps Mission, Gandhiji gave the call to “Do or Die” in his Quit India speech delivered at the Gowalia Tank Maidan in Mumbai.
- The grateful country is paying homage to the freedom fighters and remembering the supreme sacrifices of the martyrs during the freedom struggle.
12. Nagasaki Day: 9th August
- Japan commemorates the 9th of August every year as Nagasaki day. On August 9, 1945, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan.
- It was code-named “Fat Man” due to the design of the bomb as it had a wide, round shape. This happened 3 days after dropping an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
- An area of about 5 square miles was completely obliterated and around 65,000 people were killed in the bombing. Nagasaki and Hiroshima continue to feel the impact of the destructive bombing even today.
13. International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples: 9 August
- United Nations observes the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples on 09th August every year. The day is being observed to protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population and recognize the achievements and contributions that indigenous people make to improve world issues such as environmental protection.
- The theme for 2021 is “Leaving no one behind: Indigenous peoples and the call for a new social contract.”
- The day was recognised by the General Assembly of the United Nations in December 1994. The date to marks the day of the inaugural session of the Working Group on Indigenous Populations at the United Nations in 1982.
14. Veteran actor Anupam Shyam passes away
- Veteran actor Anupam Shyam has passed away. The actor was best known for his work on the TV show Mann Kee Awaaz: Pratigya and appearances in films like Slumdog Millionaire and Bandit Queen.
- In his nearly three-decade-long career, Shyam featured in films like Satya, Dil Se, Lagaan, Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi and received critical acclaim for his role as Thakur Sajjan Singh on Mann Kee Awaaz: Pratigya which aired in 2009 on Star Plus.
15. Noted Kerala sculptor, cartoonist P.S. Banarji passes away
- Noted Kerala Cartoonist, sculptor and folk singer, P.S. Banarji has passed away. A recipient of the Lalithakala Akademi Fellowship, Banarji was noted for his Ayyankali and Buddha sculptures at Venganur and Koduman.
- Known for his rendition of a string of folk songs, including the popular ‘Tharaka Pennale’, he was working as a graphic designer in an IT firm.
8-9th August Current Affairs 2021 | Current Affairs Today | Daily Current Affairs 2021
All the Best BA’ians for the Bank exam!