Here is the Daily GK Update of 13th August 2021 covering the following news headlines: World Organ Donation Day, Consumer Price Index, 2021 Skytrax World Airport Awards, Durand Cup.
Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of the important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of 13th August 2021 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Top 10 Daily GK Updates: National & International News
Here is providing below the top 10 important Daily General Knowledge GK 2021 updates with national & international news
1. Indore declared India’s first ‘Water Plus’ certified city
- India’s cleanest city, Indore in Madhya Pradesh, has achieved another feat of being declared as the country’s first ‘water plus’ certified city, under the Swachh Survekshan 2021. Swachh Survekshan is an annual survey of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation in cities and towns across India launched as part of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Indore carried out a survey and halted 7,000 outfalls of greywater that went in rivers, drains.
- Moreover, 30 per cent of the city’s sewage water was recycled and reused. This recycled water was used by people in their gardens and some construction sites.
- Seven sewerage treatment plants were constructed in the city and about 110 million litres per day (MLD) treated water from them is being used.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh: Shivraj Singh Chouhan; Governor: Mangubhai Chhaganbhai Patel.
2. Number Of Billionaires In India Dropped From 141 to 136
- In the pandemic-hit financial year of 2020-21, the number of billionaires in India dropped from 141 in FY20 to 136 in FY21, as per a statement issued by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in the Rajya Sabha.
- The count is based on the gross total income declared in the income tax returns. In FY 2018-19, the number of individuals with a gross total annual income of more than Rs 100 cr is 77.
- As per the information available with the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), there is no legislative or administrative definition of the term billionaire under direct taxes. Wealth tax has been abolished with effect from 01.04.2016 and, therefore, CBDT does not any more capture information about the complete wealth of an individual taxpayer.
3. Retail inflation eases to 5.59% in July
- Retail inflation eased to 5.59% in July mainly due to softening of food prices. The Consumer Price Index (CPI)-based inflation was 6.26% in June and 6.73% in July 2020.
- Inflation in the food basket slowed down to 3.96% in July from 5.15% in the previous month.
- Earlier this month, the RBI pegged the CPI inflation at 5.7% during 2021-22 — 5.9% in the second quarter, 5.3% in third, and 5.8% in the fourth quarter of the fiscal, with risks broadly balanced.
4. 4 Indian airports find place in Skytrax’s top 100 airport list
- The Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport in New Delhi has found place among world’s top 50 best airports in the 2021 Skytrax World Airport Awards. Delhi airport has improved its overall ranking by five places.
- In 2020, it was placed at 50th spot. With this, it has also become the first Indian airport to be placed among top 50 list. The Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar, has been named the “Best Airport in the World”.
Other Indian Airports in the list are:
- Hyderabad: 64 (placed at 71 in 2020)
- Mumbai: 65 (placed 52 in 2020)
- Bengaluru: 71 (placed 68 in 2020)
Top Five Airports in the World:
- Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar
- Haneda Airport in Tokyo
- Changi Airport in Singapore
- Incheon International Airport in Incheon, South Korea
- Narita International Airport (NRT) in Tokyo
5. Indian Team Wins US Innovation Award
- SoftWorthy has been conferred the prestigious National Science Foundation Innovation-Corps (NSF I-Corps) Teams Award in the United States.
- SoftWorthy’s award-winning project focuses on developing state-of-the-art computational methods for ‘stochastic modelling, design simulation and sensitivity analysis of electronic devices like printed-circuit-boards (PCBs), which are critical for the growth of novel technological applications like driverless vehicles and energy-efficient smart buildings.
6. Durand Cup makes re-entry with 130th edition to be held at Kolkata
- Durand Cup, Asia’s oldest and world’s third oldest football tournament, is all set to make a comeback, after a year’s gap.
- The 130th edition of the Durand Cup is scheduled to be held in and around Kolkata between September 05 to October 03, 2021. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the competition was cancelled last season.
7. Shakib Al Hasan, Stafanie Taylor voted ICC players of the month for July
- Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan and West Indies skipper Stafanie Taylor were named the ICC Player of the Month for July in men’s and women’s categories respectively.
- Shakib, who was nominated alongside West Indies’ Hayden Walsh Jr and Australia’s Mitchell Marsh. Shakib’s contributions in all three formats of the game helped Bangladesh win their series against Zimbabwe last month.
- Taylor was the standout performer for West Indies in the limited-overs series against Pakistan.
8. International Lefthanders Day: 13 August
- The International Left-Handers Day is observed on August 13 every year to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of the left-handers and raise awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed in a predominantly right-handed world.
- Left-handers are likely to have better verbal skills than their right-handed counterparts, according to a 2019 study by Oxford University. The day was first observed in 1976 by Dean R Campbell, the founder of Lefthanders International Inc.
- Further, in 1990, the Lefthanders International Club was founded with an aim to promote left-handedness, and make their views known to manufacturers towards the development of items for left-handed individuals. In 1992, the Club launched the International Lefthanders Day to create awareness regarding the “advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed.”
9. World Organ Donation Day: 13 August
- World Organ Donation Day is celebrated every year on August 13. The day is celebrated to raise awareness about the importance of organ donation and motivate people to donate organs after death.
- The day provides an opportunity to all to come ahead and pledge to donate their precious organs because one organ donor can save up to eight lives. Organ donation is retrieving a donor’s organ like heart, liver, kidneys, intestines, lungs, and pancreas after the donor is deceased and then transplanting into another person who is in need of an organ.
10. LG Manoj Sinha inaugurates “Bungus Awaam Mela” in J&K
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha has inaugurated the Bungus Awaam Mela with grand arrangements for village games, exhilarating local performances, and other activities to celebrate the 75th year of Independence at Bungus valley in Kupwara district.
- While inaugurating the fair, the Lt Governor paid tributes to the great revolutionary, freedom fighter Khudiram Bose, on his death anniversary. He also remembered countless others who made sacrifices and invaluable contributions towards achieving the Independence of the country.
13th August Current Affairs 2021 | Current Affairs Today | Daily Current Affairs 2021
All the Best BA’ians for the Bank exam!