Here is the Daily GK Update of 24th April 2021 covering the following news headlines: Climate Change Explained – For One And All, Ind-Ra Projects, SBI Research Projects, HDFC Bank, Nelson Mandela World Humanitarian Award 2021.
Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of the important news that held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of 24th April 2021 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
1. RBI allows commercial banks to pay up to 50% of pre-Covid dividends
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has allowed commercial banks to pay dividends on equity shares for FY21, from the profits for the fiscal ended March 31, 2021, subject to certain conditions and limits.
- The new notification of RBI allows commercial banks to pay dividends not more than 50 per cent of the amount determined as per the dividend payout ratio prescribed. This means that banks may pay dividends up to 50% of what they paid before the Covid scenario.
2. Ind-Ra Projects India’s GDP Growth Rate at 10.1% in FY22
- India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra) has revised downwards the GDP growth forecast of India in FY22 (2021-22) to 10.1 per cent.
- Earlier Ind-Ra estimated this at 10.4 per cent. The downward revision is due to the second wave of COVID-19 infections and the slower pace of vaccination.
- For FY21 (2020-21), the economy is estimated to have contracted by 7.6 per cent. Ind-Ra is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Fitch Group.
3. SBI Research Projects India’s GDP Growth Rate at 10.4% for FY22
- The State Bank of India (SBI) Research has revised India’s GDP growth rate for FY22 (2021-22) to 10.4%.
- Earlier it estimated this at 11%. The downward projection has been taken in view of the increasing COVID-19 related curbs across states.
4. RBI approves Atanu Chakraborty as HDFC Bank’s part-time chairman
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the appointment of former Economic Affairs Secretary, Atanu Chakraborty, as the part-time chairman and additional independent director of the private sector lender HDFC Bank. He retired as Secretary of the Department of Economic Affairs in April 2020.
- Prior to that, he served as Secretary of the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM).
- Chakraborty, a 1985 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre, has been appointed for a period of three years with effect from May 5, 2021 or the date of his taking charge, whichever is later.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Headquarters of HDFC Bank: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- MD and CEO of HDFC Bank: Sashidhar Jagdishan(Succeeds Aditya Puri).
- The tagline of HDFC Bank: We understand your world.
5. Rumana Sinha Sehgal won the Nelson Mandela World Humanitarian Award 2021
- Rumana Sinha Sehgal, Software engineer turned entrepreneur from Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, won the Nelson Mandela World Humanitarian Award 2021 by the Diplomatic Mission Global Peace.
- She was virtually awarded for her contribution to the field of developing innovative and functional green products by recycling varied materials and non-biodegradable materials.
- Nationwide Award -under 50- Business Leader 2021 of Social entrepreneurship.
- International Influencer of the year 2021’ at the Influencer Summit in January 2021.
- ReXKarmaveer Chakra (silver) and Global Fellowship award 2019 for her work in the zone of women and child empowerment.
- She was crowned as the ‘Mrs Universe Successful 2018’.
6. World Veterinary Day 2021: 24 April
- The World Veterinary Day is observed on the Fourth Saturday of April every year. In 2021, the day falls on April 24, 2021. The theme of the 2021 World Veterinary Day is ‘Veterinarian response to the COVID-19 crisis.’
- The day was created by the World Veterinary Association (WVA) in 2000 to celebrate the contributions of veterinarians to the health of animals and society.
7. International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace
- The International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace observed globally on 24 April.
- ‘International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace’ was first observed by the United Nations (UN) on April 24, 2019.
- The day aims to spread knowledge about the advantages of multilateralism and diplomacy for peace, including through educational and public awareness-raising activities.
- The Assembly proclaimed the day while considering that preserving the values of multilateralism and international cooperation is fundamental to promote and support the three pillars of the UN – Peace and Security, Development and Human Rights.
- The Day is a reaffirmation of the UN Charter and its principles of resolving disputes among countries through peaceful means.
8. National Panchayati Raj Day: 24 April
- Nation celebrates National Panchayati Raj Day on 24 April every year. The Ministry of Panchayati Raj organizes the National Panchayati Raj day or the National Local Self Government Day.
- India celebrates the first National Panchayati Raj Day or the National Local Government Day on April 2010.
- 24th April 1993 marks a defining moment in the history of decentralization of power to the grassroots, with the institutionalization of Panchayati Raj, through the Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992 which came into force with effect from that day.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj commemorates the 24th April of every year as the National Panchayati Raj Day(NPRD), as the 73rd Constitutional Amendment came into force on this date. Rajasthan was the first state that carried the Panchayati Raj System in 1959 during the times of late Prime Minister Jawarharlal Nehru.
9. World Day for Laboratory Animals: 24 April
- The World Day For Animals In Laboratories (WDAIL); also known as World Lab Animal Day or World Day for Laboratory Animals, is observed every year on 24 April.
- The day was instituted in 1979 by the National Anti-Vivisection Society (NAVS), as an “international day of commemoration” for animals in laboratories.
- WDAIL aims to end the suffering of animals in laboratories around the world and promote their replacement with advanced scientific non-animal techniques. Apart from this, the “World Week for Animals In Laboratories” (Lab Animal Week) is celebrated from April 20 to 26.
10. Music Composer Shravan Rathod of “Nadeem-Shravan” Fame Passes Away
- Veteran music composer Shravan Rathod of Nadeem-Shravan fame has passed away due to coronavirus complications. The iconic composer duo Nadeem-Shravan (Nadeem Saifi and Shravan Rathod), were among the most sought-after composers of the 90s.
- Together they composed some of the iconic hits for movies such as Aashiqui (1990), Saajan (1991), Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke (1993), Pardes (1997) and Raja Hindustani (1996), among others.
- The Nadeem-Shravan duo parted ways in the 2000s, however, they again reunited to compose for David Dhawan-directed Do Knot Disturb in 2009.
11. Veteran Gujarati and Hindi Film Actor Amit Mistry Passes Away
- Popular Gujarati and Hindi film actor Amit Mistry, who was last seen in the Amazon Prime Video series “Bandish Bandits”, has passed away. The actor was a prominent face in the Gujarati theatre circuit.
- He was also known for his memorable performances in Bollywood films like Kya Kehna, Ek Chalis Ki Last Local, 99, Shor In The City, Yamla Pagla Deewana and A Gentleman as well as TV-like Tenali Rama, Ssshhh…Koi Hai, Maddam Sir and Shubh Mangal Savadhan, besides OTT shows.
Books and Authors
12. Aakash Ranison launches his E-Book “Climate Change Explained – For One And All”
- The climate activist-author, Aakash Ranison has come out with a new e-book titled “Climate Change Explained – for one and all”, on the occasion of Earth Day.
- Through the e-book, the author explains the impact of climate change and aims to motivate readers to reduce its outcome with the help of simple sustainable solutions.
- The book is a mix of facts, data, and information about climate change, having topics like “Greenhouse effect, global warming, Carbon footprint” and their effects on earth in the near future.
24th April Current Affairs 2021 | Current Affairs Today | Daily Current Affairs 2021
All the Best BA’ians for the Bank exam!