Here is the Daily GK Update of 30th August 2021 covering the following news headlines: Paralympics 2020, Jallianwala Bagh Smarak, ANANDA mobile app, National Sports Day, Neeraj Chopra Stadium, Indo-Nepal Remittance Facility.
Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of the important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of 30th August 2021 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Top 17 Daily GK Updates: National & International News
Here is providing below the top 17 important Daily General Knowledge GK 2021 updates with national & international news.
1. Govt introduces “Bharat series (BH-series)” registration
- Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has introduced a new registration mark for new vehicles i.e. “Bharat series (BH-series)”.
- The vehicles bearing the BH-series mark will not have to require the assignment of a new registration mark when the owner of the vehicle shifts from one State to another.
- This facility is available on a voluntary basis to Defense personnel, employees of Central Government/ State Government/ Central/ State Public Sector Undertakings and private sector companies/organizations, which have their offices in four or more States/Union territories.
Format of Bharat series (BH-series) Registration Mark:
- YY – Year of first registration
- BH- Code for Bharat Series
- ####- 0000 to 9999 (randomized)
- XX- Alphabets (AA to ZZ)
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways: Nitin Jairam Gadkari.
2. PM Modi dedicates renovated complex of Jallianwala Bagh Smarak
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has dedicated to the nation the renovated complex of Jallianwala Bagh Smarak in Punjab’s Amritsar, to mark 102 years of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
- The historic garden is a memorial of national importance, preserved in the memory of countless revolutionaries, sacrificers, fighters, who were killed in the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre, which occurred on the festival of Baisakhi on 13 April 1919.
- Apart from this, PM Modi also inaugurated four museum galleries developed at the Smarak, to showcase the historical value of events that unfolded in Punjab in 1919. PM also announced multiple development initiatives taken by the government to upgrade the complex.
3. Rajnath Singh names Army Sports Institute, Pune as “Neeraj Chopra Stadium”
- Raksha Mantri, Rajnath Singh visited the Army Sports Institute (ASI), Pune and named the Army Sports Institute stadium as “Neeraj Chopra Stadium”. The focus of the Indian Army (in the field of sports) is to identify and train promising sportspersons in 11 disciplines.
- The Indian Army’s “Mission Olympics” programme was launched in 2001 with the intent to deliver medal-winning performances in the Olympics and other international events.
- Neeraj Chopra has won a Gold medal for India in the javelin throw event at Tokyo Olympics. With a throw of 87.03 metres in his first attempt, Neeraj killed the competition. In his second he improved it to 87.58m and that turned out to be the golden throw.
- The Athletics Federation of India has decided that javelin throw day will be on 7th August every year in honour of Olympic gold medalist Neeraj Chopra.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has started a public awareness campaign to warn people against digital banking frauds. For the new campaign, RBI has roped in Olympic Gold medalist Neeraj Chopra.
4. LIC launches ANANDA mobile app for Agents
- The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched the mobile application of its digital paperless solution, “ANANDA” for LIC agents. ANANDA stands for Atma Nirbhar Agents New Business Digital Application.
- The ANANDA mobile app was launched by LIC Chairperson MR Kumar, through Video Conferencing.
- The ANANDA Digital application was launched in November 2020 for LIC Agents / Intermediaries.
- With Mobile App in place, the usage level of ANANDA among the Agents / Intermediaries will go up and help LIC to take the New Business fortunes to bigger heights.
- The ANANDA tool enables LIC agents to register new LIC policies from the comfort of their homes.
- Prospective customers can avail the facility of taking a New Life Insurance Policy in the comfort of their homes/offices without having to meet the agent in person.
- It is built on a paperless KYC process using Aadhaar based e-authentication of the Life Proposed.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- LIC Headquarters: Mumbai;
- LIC Founded: 1 September 1956;
- LIC Chairman: M R Kumar.
5. RBI enhances limit under Indo-Nepal Remittance Facility to Rs 2 lakh
- The Reserve Bank of India has increased the limit of fund transfer under the Indo-Nepal Remittance Facility Scheme from Rs 50,000 per transaction to Rs 2 lakh per transaction. Earlier there was a ceiling limit of 12 transactions in a year.
- Now, this limit has also been removed. However, for cash-based transfers under the Indo-Nepal Remittance Facility, the per transaction limit of Rs 50,000 will still be present with a maximum number of transfers in a year allowed at 12.
- Indo-Nepal Remittance Facility is a fund transfer mechanism from India to Nepal (not otherwise) that operates on NEFT. It was started by RBI in the year 2008. It is managed by SBI in India and Nepal SBI Bank Limited (NSBL) in Nepal.
6. Rajnath Singh Commissions Indigeneously built ICGS ‘Vigraha’
- Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh has dedicated to the nation, the indigenously built Coast Guard Ship ‘Vigraha’ in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. According to the defence ministry, the 98-meter vessel will be based in Andhra Pradesh’s Visakhapatnam (Vizag) and will be operated by a company of 11 officers and 110 sailors.
- The ship has been designed and built indigenously by Larsen & Toubro Ship Building Limited. With the joining of this ship, the Indian Coast Guard now have 157 Ships and 66 Aircraft in its inventory.
- The ICGS Vigraha, is the seventh and final ship in the series of Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs), the agreement for which was signed in 2015.
- The Vigraha is equipped with advanced radars, the latest in navigation and communication technology.
- The sensors and machinery present in the ship make it capable of operating in tropical sea conditions.
7. India and Germany conducts joint maritime exercise in Gulf of Aden
- The Indian Navy and the German Navy carried out a joint exercise in the Gulf of Aden near Yemen, in the Indian Ocean leg of Indo-Pacific Deployment 2021. The Indian Navy was represented by frigate “Trikand” while the German Navy was represented by frigate “Bayern”.
- The exercise included helicopter (cross deck helo) landings and visit, board, search, and seizure (VBSS) operations. The joint exercise aimed at enhancing interoperability and exchange of best practices between the navies of the two countries in the maritime domain.
8. Paralympics 2020: Avani Lekhara wins gold in Shooting
- Shooter Avani Lekhara has scripted history as she became the first Indian woman to win a gold medal at the Paralympics, firing her way to the top of the podium in the R-2 women’s 10m Air Rifle Standing SH1 event.
- The 19-year-old from Jaipur, who sustained spinal cord injuries in a car accident in 2012, finished with a world record-equalling total of 249.6, which is also a new Paralympic record.
- Avani is only the fourth Indian athlete to win a Paralympics gold after swimmer Murlikant Petkar (1972), javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia (2004 and 2016) and high jumper Mariyappan Thangavelu (2016).
9. Paralympics 2020: Bhavinaben Patel wins silver in table tennis
- In table tennis, Indian paddler Bhavinaben Patel has claimed the historic silver medal at the 2020 Paralympic Games at Tokyo, in the women’s singles summit clash. The 34-year-old Patel lost to Chinese paddler Ying Zhou, 0-3, in her maiden Paralympic Games.
- This is the first medal for India at the ongoing Tokyo Paralympic Games. Patel is the only second Indian woman to win a medal at the Paralympics, after Deepa Malik, who claimed silver in shotput at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
10. SP Sethuraman Wins 2021 Barcelona Open Chess Tournament
- In Chess, Indian Grandmaster S P Sethuraman has won the 2021 Barcelona Open chess tournament title, remaining unbeaten through the nine rounds, winning six matches and drawing three.
- Chennai-born Sethuraman collected 7.5 points after the ninth and final round to tie the score with Daniil Yuffa of Russia. However, the Indian player emerged as the winner on the basis of a better tie-break score. India’s Karthikeyan Murali finished third.
11. Paralympics 2020: Nishad Kumar wins silver in men’s high jump
- India’s Nishad Kumar has clinched a silver medal in the men’s high jump T47 event at the Tokyo Paralympics 2020. This is the second medal for India at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics.
- The 23-year-old Nishad made a jump of 2.06m, and in doing so created an Asian record. He also equalled his jump with USA’s Dallas Wise, who also took home silver.
- Another American, Roderick Townsend, won the gold with a world record jump of 2.15m. T47 class is meant for athletes with a unilateral upper limb impairment resulting in some loss of function at the shoulder, elbow and wrist.
12. Max Verstappen wins Belgian Grand Prix 2021
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) has been declared the winner of the Belgian Grand Prix 2021.
- The Belgian Grand Prix was stopped due to rain and only two laps were completed. The winner was decided based on progress made in these two laps. George Russell Williams came second and Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes came third.
13. International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances
- United Nations observes International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances globally on the 30th of August every year. The day is being observed to express deep concern about the rise in enforced or involuntary disappearances in different regions of the world including the incidents of arrest, detention and abduction.
- All of the above incidents result in an increasing number of reports pertaining to harassment, ill-treatment and intimidation of witnesses of disappearances or relatives of persons who have disappeared. UN General Assembly declared the 30th of August as International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances and the day was observed for the first time in the year 2011.
14. National Small Industry Day: 30 August
- In India, the National Small Industry Day is celebrated on 30 August every year, to support and promote small Industries for their overall growth potential and opportunities received for their development in the year.
- The industry day is a medium to provide balanced growth to existing small, medium and large scale enterprises and render assistance for setting up new industries to boost the state’s financial health. Small scale businesses and cottage industries have worked a vital part in the Indian economy.
- The best quality gains have been produced in the base and cottage manufacturers of India. Although this area like other Indian businesses experienced a huge drop in British rule, it has grown at a very fast step after independence.
15. International Day against Nuclear Tests: 29 August
- The International Day against Nuclear Tests is observed globally on 29th August. The day aims to increase awareness about the effects of nuclear weapon test explosions or any other nuclear explosions and the need for their cessation as one of the means of achieving the goal of a nuclear-weapon-free world.
- On 2 December 2009, the 64th session of the United Nations General Assembly declared 29 August the International Day against Nuclear Tests through the unanimous adoption of its resolution 64/35. 2010 marked the inaugural commemoration of the International Day against Nuclear Tests.
16. National Sports Day: 29 August
- Every year, 29th August has been observed as National Sports Day in India. The first National Sports Day was celebrated on 29th August 2012, on the birth anniversary of Major Dhyan Chand who was the star of hockey team of India.
- The day is used as a platform to launch various sports schemes as well as organise various sporting events and seminars to spread awareness about the importance of physical activities and sports in life.
- National Sports Day is also called with the name Rashtriya Khel Divas in some parts of India. In 1979, the Indian Postal Department paid tribute to Major Dhyan Chand after his death and renamed the National Stadium of Delhi as Major Dhyan Chand Stadium, Delhi.
- Recently Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award will be renamed as Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award.
17. World’s Highest Altitude Movie Theatre open in Ladakh
- The world’s highest movie theatre has recently been inaugurated in Ladakh, which got its first-ever mobile digital movie theatre in the Paldan area of Leh, at an altitude of 11,562 feet. The inflatable theatre can operate in -28 degrees Celcius.
- The initiative aims to bring cinema watching experience to most remotest areas of India. It must be noted that four such theatres will be established in Leh in the coming period.
30th August Current Affairs 2021 | Current Affairs Today | Daily Current Affairs 2021
All the Best BA’ians for the Bank exam!