Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 05 January 2024. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on New President of AIRIA, Tur Dal Procurement Portal, 10th Century Kadamba Inscription.
Top 18 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 05 January 2024
1.68 Rajya Sabha Members, Including Notables like Manmohan Singh and Jaya Bachchan, Set to Retire in 2024
- In the upcoming year, the political landscape in India is poised for a significant shift as 68 Rajya Sabha members, nine of whom are Union ministers, face retirement, intensifying the race for coveted six-year terms in the Upper House of Parliament.
- In April, a total of 57 leaders, a prominent among them being former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and several incumbent ministers, will complete their tenures.
- Uttar Pradesh will witness the highest number of vacancies, with 10 seats up for grabs, followed by Maharashtra and Bihar with six each.
- Other states in the fray include Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal, Karnataka, Gujarat, Odisha, Telangana, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, and Chhattisgarh.
2.Punjab Becomes First State To Map All Accident Prone Sites
- Punjab has become the first in India to meticulously map all 784 accident black spots using the Mappls App, a cutting-edge navigation system developed by MapMyIndia.
- In a strategic move, the Punjab Police has teamed up with MapMyIndia to integrate real-time traffic updates and alerts into the Mappls App. This collaboration aims to provide citizens with crucial information about black and blind spots, ensuring a safer driving experience.
- This initiative aligns with the preparations for the launch of Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann’s flagship project, the ‘Sadak Suraksha Force.’ The comprehensive mapping of accident black spots is a crucial component of this visionary project, aiming to create a robust system for ensuring road safety across the state.
3.Boosting Indigenous Defence Production: Centre Inks Two Crucial Deals Worth Rs 802 Crore
- In a significant move towards self-reliance in defence manufacturing, the Ministry of Defence has finalized two pivotal contracts, collectively valued at Rs 802 crore.
- The agreements include the procurement of 697 Bogie Open Military (BOM) Wagons and 56 Mechanical Minefield Marking Equipment (MMME) Mark II from domestic firms.
- The contracts, signed with M/s Jupiter Wagons Limited and M/s BEML Ltd, underscore the commitment to Atmanirbhar Bharat, with both deals emphasizing the utilization of indigenous equipment and sub-systems. This strategic approach aims to bolster the participation of the private sector in defence production.
4.Record FPI Purchases Drive Indian Equities to All-Time Highs in December
- Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPI) made historic monthly acquisitions of Indian equities, reaching 661.35 billion rupees ($8 billion) in December, according to National Securities Depository data.
- This surge catapulted India’s Nifty 50 and Sensex benchmarks to fresh record highs. The first half of December alone witnessed a record fortnightly purchase of shares worth 427.33 billion rupees, attributed to lower U.S. bond yields and expectations of Federal Reserve interest rate cuts.
- Faster-than-expected quarterly GDP growth prompted the Reserve Bank of India to revise upwards its fiscal 2024 growth forecast. State election results signaled policy continuity in 2024, adding to the positive sentiment.
5.Adidas to set up its first Asia GCC outside China in Tamil Nadu
- Adidas, the renowned athletic footwear and apparel giant, is making strategic moves to enhance its global operations by establishing its first and only Global Capacity Centre (GCC) in Asia outside of China.
- This significant development underscores the growing trend of multinational corporations choosing India as a prime destination for setting up their GCCs, capitalizing on the country’s abundant software skills.
- The German corporation, headquartered in Herzogenaurach, Bavaria, is set to establish its Global Business Services (GBS) hub in Chennai. This move signifies a pivotal step for Adidas, as the Chennai facility becomes the first GCC outside of China in Asia. The choice of Chennai as the location for this hub reflects the city’s rising prominence in the global corporate landscape.
6.Ministry of Education launches PRERANA program
- The Department of School Education & Literacy, Ministry of Education, proudly presents Prerana: An Experiential Learning program.
- This unique initiative aims to empower students of classes IX to XII with leadership qualities and provide them with a meaningful, unique, and inspiring experience.
- Prerana is driven by a strong commitment to the principles of the Indian education system and the philosophy of value-based education, a cornerstone of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020. It fosters respect for India’s rich cultural heritage and diverse traditions, embodying the spirit of “Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam” (the world is one family).
7.PM Modi Launched PRITHVI VIGYAN Scheme worth nearly 4,800 crore rupees
- The Indian government, under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has launched an ambitious initiative named PRITHVI (PRITHvi VIgyan), a comprehensive scheme by the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- With a significant budget of Rs. 4,797 crore, the program spans from 2021-26, marking a new era in the study and understanding of Earth sciences in India.
- The PRITHVI scheme aims to revolutionize our understanding and interaction with various Earth systems. Its objectives include: Strengthening the continuous monitoring of the Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, geosphere, cryosphere, and solid earth to track and record essential changes.
8.Amit Shah Launches Tur Dal Procurement Portal for Farmers
- Union Cooperation Minister Amit Shah inaugurated a tur dal procurement portal, enabling farmers to register and sell their produce to the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd (NAFED) and the National Cooperative Consumers’ Federation of India Limited (NCCF).
- The portal guarantees a minimum support price (MSP) or market price for the farmers. Minister Shah, during the launch, also highlighted plans to extend this facility for urad, masoor, and maize farmers in the future.
- As part of the inauguration, Minister Shah conducted Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT), transferring approximately Rs 68 lakh to 25 farmers as payment for their tur dal sales through the portal. This move is expected to empower farmers by providing them with assured prices and promoting pulses farming, addressing concerns of price uncertainty.
Summits & Conferences News
9.Anurag Thakur attends youth dialogue program on theme ‘My Bharat Mera Yuva Bharat’
- Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur addressed a youth dialogue program organized by Nehru Yuva Kendra on the theme ‘My Bharat Mera Yuva Bharat’ at Malala Auditorium in Diu
- Thakur emphasized the importance of channeling the energy of the nation’s youth towards nation-building. He urged them to actively contribute to realizing the dream of a developed India by 2047.
- He highlighted the crucial role of capable youth in shaping a strong India and emphasized the significance of sports in this endeavor. He encouraged the youth to embrace sports as a part of their lives, prioritize fitness, and steer clear of drugs. By adopting these healthy habits, Thakur believes they can become strong pillars of the nation.
10.Nepal To Export 10,000 MW of Power to India in next 10 years
- India and Nepal solidified their commitment to a long-term energy partnership with the signing of an agreement for the export of 10,000 MW of power to India over the next 10 years.
- The bilateral agreement, signed by India’s Energy Secretary Pankaj Agrawal and Nepal’s Energy Secretary Gopal Sigdel, is a testament to the shared vision of sustainable energy cooperation.
- In addition to the power export agreement, an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for cooperation in renewable energy was signed between the Nepal Electricity Authority and India’s National Thermal Power Corporation Limited. This underscores the joint commitment towards sustainable and eco-friendly energy solutions.
11.REC Invests Rs. 35,000 Cr In Multi-Modal Projects With Rail Vikas Nigam For 5 Years
- REC Limited, a prominent Maharatna Central Public Sector Enterprise established in 1969 under the Ministry of Power, has recently entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL).
- This collaboration aims to provide financial support of up to Rs. 35,000 Crores for a range of Infrastructure Projects over the next 5 years, showcasing the commitment of both entities to drive essential developments in the sector.
- The infrastructure projects set to benefit from this collaboration span various domains, including multi-modal logistics hubs, rail infrastructure, roads, ports, and metro projects.
12.Shashi Singh Appointed As New President of AIRIA
- The All India Rubber Industries Association (AIRIA), the foremost authority representing India’s rubber industry, has recently announced a significant leadership change.
- Shashi Singh has been elected as the new President, succeeding Ramesh Kejriwal. This transition marks a new era for AIRIA, with Singh set to advance the association’s mission and goals.
- Alongside Singh, Zafar Ahmed, the Managing Director of New India Rubber Works Pvt Ltd, has been elected as the senior vice-president for 2023-24. In addition, Indra Parekh takes on the role of vice president. This new leadership team is expected to bring a blend of experience, insight, and fresh perspectives to AIRIA.
13.Canara Bank CGM P Santhosh Appointed as MD of NARCL
- P Santhosh, Chief General Manager at Canara Bank, has been appointed as the Managing Director of National Asset Reconstruction Company (NARCL) with effect from January 5, succeeding Natarajan Sundar, who resigned from the post.
- Natarajan Sundar, a seasoned banking veteran who previously served as Deputy Managing Director at State Bank of India, is the second high-ranking official to resign from NARCL before completing the designated tenure.
- Last August, Karnam Sekar, the then Chairman of NARCL, also stepped down without providing a specific reason, leaving the organization amid uncertainty.
- Both resignations occurred before completing the stipulated two-year period, raising questions about the stability and management structure of NARCL.
14.Vice Admiral Dinesh Tripathi Appointed As Vice Chief Of Navy
- On January 4, 2024, Vice Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi, AVSM, NM, officially took over as the Vice Chief of the Naval Staff, succeeding in a distinguished naval career.
- Vice Admiral Tripathi’s journey in the Indian Navy began after his commissioning on July 1, 1985. An alumnus of Sainik School Rewa and the National Defence Academy at Khadakwasla, his career has been marked by a series of key assignments and accomplishments.
- Dinesh K Tripathi, specializing in Communication and Electronic Warfare, served on frontline warships in various capacities. His roles included Signal Communication Officer and Electronic Warfare Officer, and later as the Executive Officer and Principal Warfare Officer of Guided Missile Destroyer INS Mumbai.
15.Bengali Writer Shirshendu Mukyopadhyaya Receives 2023 Kuvempu Award
- In a prestigious recognition of his literary contributions, renowned Bengali writer Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay has been awarded the 2023 Kuvempu Rashtriya Puraskar.
- The national award, named in honour of the late Kannada poet Kuvempu, celebrates writers who have made significant contributions to any Indian language.
- Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay, an accomplished author with a prolific literary career, has penned over 90 books, encompassing a diverse range of genres, including travelogues and fiction for children. The esteemed award comes with a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh, a silver medal, and a citation.
- The previous year’s recipient was Tamil writer Imayam, adding to the prestigious list of literary luminaries acknowledged by this esteemed award.
16.Hero MotoCorp’s facility wins CII National Award for water management
- Hero MotoCorp, the world’s largest two-wheeler manufacturer, has made significant waves in water conservation, bagging the CII National Award for Excellence in Water Management and setting an ambitious goal to become 500% water positive by 2025.
- Hero MotoCorp’s Gurugram facility emerged victorious in the ‘Within the Fence’ category of the CII award, highlighting its exceptional water management practices within its manufacturing operations. This recognition underscores the company’s commitment to reducing water consumption and wastage within its own premises.
17.Prof. Adrian Cruise Receives ‘Order Of The British Empire’ For Space Science Leadership
- The New Year Honours list for 2024 has acknowledged the outstanding contributions of Professor Adrian Michael Cruise, a leading figure in space science research, particularly known for his role in the Gravitational Wave Research Group at the University of Birmingham.
- Professor Cruise, as Professor Emeritus at the University of Birmingham, led the Gravitational Wave Research Group to affirm the university’s leadership in space science. His groundbreaking 2015 detection of gravitational waves validated Einstein’s prediction, propelling the institution into the forefront of unraveling space-time mysteries.
18.10th Century Kadamba Inscription Written in Kannada, Sanskrit Found in Goa
- In a remarkable archaeological discovery, an inscription dating back to the 10th century A.D. has been found in the Mahadeva temple at Cacoda in southern Goa.
- The inscription, written in both Kannada and Sanskrit, sheds light on a historical episode during the Kadamba period, providing valuable insights into the region’s past.
- Retired associate professor T. Murugeshi, specializing in ancient history and archaeology at Mulki Sundar Ram Shetty College in Udupi district, meticulously studied the inscription.
- The inscription narrates a significant historical event during the rule of Talara Nevayya, who governed the Mandala region. Talara Nevayya’s son, Gundayya, devoted himself to realizing his father’s ambition of capturing Gopura, the port of Goa. Tragically, Gundayya lost his life in a valiant pursuit of this goal. The inscription serves as a poignant record of this historical episode.
05 JANUARY CURRENT AFFAIRS 2024 | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR