Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 06 December 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Cyclone Michaung, Telangana’s New Chief Minister, Mahaparinirvan Diwas 2023.
Top 22 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 06 December 2023
1.Government Initiative to Establish Subsidized Staple Food Stores at Delhi Metro Stations
- In a bid to address the soaring prices of essential food items, the central government is set to launch retail stores at major metro stations in Delhi. This initiative aims to make kitchen essentials, including onions, pulses, and atta, available to metro commuters at subsidized prices.
- The first proposed store will be situated at Central Delhi’s Rajiv Chowk metro station, marking the commencement of this ambitious project. The establishment and operation of this store will be overseen by the National Cooperative Consumer Federation of India (NCCF).
- The primary objective of this initiative is to curb the elevated prices of food essentials, providing relief to consumers amidst economic challenges. By strategically placing these stores at metro stations, the government aims to ensure easy access for a significant number of commuters.
2.Ministry of Panchayati Raj Launches ‘Gram Manchitra’ GIS App
- To empower Gram Panchayats and improve grassroots spatial planning, the Ministry of Panchayati Raj launched tools like the GIS app “Gram Manchitra” and mobile solution “mActionSoft.”
- Utilizing geo-spatial technology, these tools offer a unified platform for visualizing and planning developmental works, facilitating the formulation of the Gram Panchayat Development Plan (GPDP).
- The Gram Manchitra application serves as a single and unified Geo-Spatial platform. This platform is instrumental in facilitating decision-making processes related to the GPDP. It empowers Gram Panchayats to visualize developmental works across diverse sectors in a comprehensive manner.
- mActionSoft, is a mobile-based solution designed to capture photos with Geo-Tags (GPS Coordinates) for projects producing assets. This mobile application simplifies the process of recording vital information at three key stages: before the commencement of work, during the work, and upon completion.
3.Cyclone Michaung Strikes Andhra Pradesh: Transition from Severe Cyclonic Storm to Depression
- Cyclone Michaung, initially a severe cyclonic storm, made landfall on the south coast of Andhra Pradesh, wreaking havoc and leaving a trail of destruction.
- The storm weakened into a depression as it crossed the coast, centered in Central Coastal Andhra Pradesh. Currently, it is positioned approximately 100 km north-northwest of Bapatla and 50 km southeast of Khammam.
- The Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister’s Office (CMO) reported significant consequences, affecting nearly 40 lakh people in 194 villages and two towns. Michaung’s impact included the inundation of 25 villages, damage to 770 kilometers of roads, uprooting of 35 trees, and the unfortunate loss of three livestock.
4.Fusion Milestone: Japan Unveils JT-60SA, the World’s Largest Experimental Nuclear Fusion Reactor
- In a historic moment for the field of nuclear fusion research, the JT-60SA, the world’s largest and most advanced experimental nuclear fusion reactor, has officially commenced operations in Japan’s Ibaraki Prefecture.
- Developed as a collaborative effort between the European Union and Japan, the JT-60SA represents a significant step forward in harnessing the potential of nuclear fusion as a clean and sustainable energy source.
- Standing six stories high within a hangar in Naka, north of Tokyo, the JT-60SA reactor features a doughnut-shaped “tokamak” vessel designed to contain swirling plasma heated to an astounding 200 million degrees Celsius.
- This state-of-the-art facility serves as a precursor to the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) in France, showcasing the collaborative spirit in the global pursuit of fusion energy.
5.Kenyan President’s Three Day State Visit to India
- Kenyan President William Samoei Ruto recently embarked on a three-day state visit to India, emphasizing the enduring friendship between the two nations dating back to 1948. The visit aims to consolidate diplomatic ties and explore opportunities for collaboration in various sectors.
- President Ruto outlined key areas of collaboration, including rural development, agriculture, vaccine manufacturing, and genomics. Memorandums of understanding (MoUs) are expected to be signed to foster cooperation in these domains. The emphasis is also on enhancing business relationships to strengthen economic ties between India and Kenya.
6.India Provides $250 Million Line of Credit to Kenya for Agricultural Modernization
- India has extended a $250 million Line of Credit to Kenya for the modernization of its agricultural sector. Prime Minister Modi highlighted the shared agricultural heritage of both nations and announced the Line of Credit to facilitate the modernization of Kenya’s agricultural sector.
- In a bid to strengthen security ties, both nations announced jointly military exercises and collaboration on counter-terrorism projects. The bilateral cooperation extends to cyber security, anti-money laundering, small arms and light weapons, as well as efforts to combat drugs and human trafficking. The leaders directed the bilateral joint Defense Coordination Committee to convene at an early date to further these initiatives.
7.Revanth Reddy Named Telangana’s New Chief Minister
- In a historic move, the Congress central leadership has officially announced A. Revanth Reddy as the new Chief Minister of Telangana. This decision marks a significant milestone for the party as Mr. Reddy is set to become the first Congress Chief Minister of the state since its formation in 2014.
- The decision was endorsed by Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge, who relied on a comprehensive report submitted by the party’s poll observers. This move sets the stage for Mr. Reddy to take the oath of office on December 7, symbolizing a new era in Telangana’s political landscape.
8.Kolkata Emerges Safest City For Third Year In A Row: NCRB Report
- In a recent report published by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), Kolkata has emerged as the safest city in India for the third consecutive year. The city recorded the least number of cognisable offences per lakh population among metropolises, showcasing a remarkable feat in ensuring public safety.
- The NCRB data revealed that Kolkata reported 86.5 cases of cognisable offences per lakh people in 2022. This marked a significant drop from the previous year’s count of 103.4 cases, showcasing a consistent decline. In 2020, the number was higher at 129.5, indicating a positive trend in crime reduction.
- Following Kolkata in the rankings were Pune, with 280.7 cases, and Hyderabad, with 299.2 cases, of cognisable offences per lakh population. The report issued rankings after comparing 19 cities with over 20 lakh population, emphasizing the significant achievement of Kolkata in maintaining its status as the safest city.
9.India’s Stock Market Surpasses $4 Trillion Mark, Closing in on Hong Kong
- India’s stock market achieved a significant milestone, surpassing a market value of over $4 trillion. This development highlights the rapid growth of the world’s fifth-largest equity market, closing the gap with a struggling Hong Kong. In less than three years, the market capitalization of companies listed on India’s exchanges has surged by $1 trillion.
- Having surpassed China as the world’s most populous nation, India has also emerged as the fastest-growing major economy. The nation’s political stability and robust domestic growth potential have positioned it as an attractive investment destination. Efforts to boost global investment in both capital markets and industrial production are underway.
10.SBI Card Integrates With Bharat BillPay For Credit Cards
- The National Payments Corporation of India’s (NPCI) wholly-owned subsidiary, NPCI Bharat BillPay (NBBL), has achieved a significant milestone by successfully integrating SBI Card into the credit card category of Bharat BillPay.
- Already boasting the presence of major players like Kotak Mahindra Bank, BoB Financial, Federal Bank, AU Small Finance Bank, IndusInd Bank, and Canara Bank, Bharat BillPay is becoming the go-to platform for streamlined credit card bill payments.
- With a vast customer base of approximately 1.68 crores, SBI Card brings a massive user community into the Bharat BillPay ecosystem. This integration promises to empower SBI Cardholders with enhanced accessibility and seamless handling of credit card bill payments across a wide array of Bharat BillPay-supported payment channels.
11.SBI To Acquire 20% Stake In SBI Pension Fund
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has unveiled plans to enhance its position in the financial landscape by acquiring an additional 20% stake in SBI Pension Funds.
- SBI, already holding a majority 60% stake in SBI Pension Funds, aims to increase its ownership to 80% through a transaction valued at ₹229.52 crore. The remaining 20% stake in SBI Pension Funds is currently held by SBI Funds Management.
- Both the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) have given their approval for the planned acquisition.
Important Days News
12.Mahaparinirvan Diwas 2023
- December 6, 2023, marks the Mahaparinirvan Diwas 2023, commemorating the death anniversary of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, a towering figure in the Indian history.
- The term Mahaparinirvan derives its significance from Buddhism’s fundamental concept of Parinirvana. This state symbolizes the attainment of nirvana, freedom both in life and after death.
- In the context of Dr. Ambedkar, his embrace of Buddhism and renunciation of Hinduism align with the principles of Parinirvana. The use of the term Mahaparinirvan Diwas to mark his death underscores his stature as a revered Buddhist leader. The article sheds light on the historical and philosophical underpinnings of Mahaparinirvan.
13.International Cheetah Day 2023
- International Cheetah Day, observed annually on December 4, is a global initiative to raise awareness about the conservation of cheetahs, renowned as the fastest land animals on Earth.
- The significance of this date lies in the birthday of Khayam, a cheetah raised by Dr. Laurie Marker, marking the beginning of a journey towards cheetah conservation.
- Established in 2010 by Dr. Laurie Marker, International Cheetah Day finds its roots in the memory of Khayam, a cheetah cub nurtured by Marker at Wildlife Safari in Oregon.
- In 1977, during a research project in Namibia, Marker witnessed the peril faced by cheetahs due to farmer conflicts. This experience prompted her to dedicate her life to cheetah conservation. December 4, Khayam’s birthday, was chosen as the day to globally celebrate the fastest land mammal.
Summits & Conferences News
14.Global Investors Summit in Dehradun: December 8-9, 2023
- The Uttarakhand government is set to host the Global Investors Summit in Dehradun from December 8-9, focusing on showcasing over 15 investor-friendly policies. The summit aims to highlight good governance measures, a supportive regulatory framework, and sustainable practices to attract potential investors.
- The Summit provides a platform for exhibitors to display advanced technologies, innovations, and upcoming trends. Sectoral sessions will facilitate in-depth discussions on industry challenges and opportunities.
- The agenda includes Business-to-Business (B2B) and Government-to-Business (G2B) meetings to assist investors in making informed decisions. These meetings aim to foster collaboration between exhibitors, private enterprises, and government organizations.
15.Captain Geetika Koul Becomes First Woman Medical Officer Deployed at Siachen
- In a historic development, Captain Geetika Koul, a woman army doctor, has been deployed at Siachen, the world’s highest battlefield, marking a significant stride towards gender inclusivity in India’s armed forces.
- This follows the deployment of Captain Shiva Chouhan, from the Corps of Engineers, at the same location almost a year ago.
- The deployment of Captain Geetika Koul at Siachen, known for its extreme weather conditions, exemplifies the expanding opportunities for women in challenging environments. Captain Shiva Chouhan’s deployment in January 2023 set the precedent for such deployments, breaking barriers in the traditionally male-dominated arena of high-altitude warfare.
16.Jithesh John Assumes Role As IBBI Executive Director
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) confirmed that Jithesh John, a seasoned Indian Economic Service Officer from the 2001 batch, has assumed the position of Executive Director.
- Holding a postgraduate degree in Economics, he has accumulated over 21 years of experience within the Government of India, serving in various capacities. Prior to this appointment, John served as an economic adviser in the Ministry of Power, showcasing his versatility in navigating different sectors.
- The leadership transition at IBBI reflects the commitment to ensuring robust governance and expertise at the helm. In October, IBBI had previously announced Sandip Garg’s appointment as a Whole Time Member, further enhancing the organization’s leadership team.
17.Amazon India Wins National Award For Empowering Individuals With Disabilities
- Amazon India received the National Award for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities from President Smt. Droupadi Murmu at Vigyan Bhavan on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
- One of the key initiatives undertaken by Amazon India is the significant increase in the onsite representation of Persons with Disabilities (PWDs).
- The company has achieved a remarkable 2X increase in off-roll representations (2400+) and an 8X increase in on-roll representations (85+) across its operations sites in India.
- Amazon India has actively collaborated with both central and state governments, signing Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) to provide employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities.
18.Ranveer Singh Receives Prestigious Honor from Sharon Stone at Red Sea International Film Festival
- In a momentous occasion at the Red Sea International Film Festival, Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh was honored for his significant contributions to cinema.
- The prestigious accolade was presented to him by the iconic Hollywood actress Sharon Stone, adding a touch of glamour to the event attended by luminaries like Johnny Depp.
- The 2023 edition of the Red Sea Film Festival commenced on November 30 and is scheduled to continue its cinematic celebration until December 9. The festival’s opening featured the fantasy film “HWJN,” directed by Iraqi filmmaker Yasir Al-Yasiri, setting the stage for a diverse and captivating lineup of films.
Books & Authors News
19.Huma Qureshi launches 1st novel ‘Zeba: An Accidental Superhero’
- Bollywood actor Huma Qureshi has ventured into a new realm as an author, marking her debut with the fantasy fiction novel titled ‘Zeba: An Accidental Superhero.’
- The book was officially launched during the 12th edition of the Bangalore Literature Festival (BLF), adding a new chapter to Huma Qureshi’s creative journey.
- ‘Zeba: An Accidental Superhero’ unfolds in a fantasy world, precisely spanning the years between 1992 and 2019. The narrative weaves around a make-believe kingdom and an evil king, with a central focus on a character named Zeba. This young girl possesses extraordinary superpowers and becomes the key player in the battle against the malevolent ruler, showcasing the triumph of goodness over evil.
Science & Technology News
20.Akshata Krishnamurthy Becomes First Indian to operate Mars Rover
- Dr. Akshata Krishnamurthy becomes the First Indian to operate Mars Rover. With a special degree from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), her journey is a great example of not giving up on your dreams. Her work at NASA, especially with the Perseverance rover, is like a guide for other people who love space.
- This mission wants to find out more about Mars by collecting things from there. Akshata’s job as a leader in the NASA team shows how much she knows about space and how much she loves exploring it.
- Akshata has been working with NASA for more than five years. She did some important tasks for different space missions, especially one called the Perseverance rover. This rover is on a mission to collect things from Mars, which will help us understand more about the red planet.
21.Former Mr. Universe Bodybuilder Shaun Davis, Dies at 57
- Former Mr Universe bodybuilder Shaun Davis has tragically passed away at the age of 57, leaving behind a legacy of remarkable achievements in the world of bodybuilding.
- Hailing from Derbyshire, in east England, Davis had an illustrious career that saw him clinch prestigious titles such as Mr Britain and Mr Europe before reaching the pinnacle of success by being crowned Mr Universe in 1996.
- His imposing presence earned him the fitting moniker of ‘Dinosaur‘ within the bodybuilding community. However, Shaun Davis faced multiple health challenges, particularly kidney issues, which ultimately forced him to bring his illustrious bodybuilding career to an early close.
22.Google Doodle Celebrates ‘Ahmed’ The Elephant Known for His Big Tusks
- Google Doodle, the creative and artistic platform used by Google to commemorate significant events and individuals, has dedicated a doodle today to Ahmed, the Elephant.
- Ahmed’s story is a remarkable tale of a majestic elephant born in 1919 in the forests of Mount Marsabit, Kenya. The doodle, featuring illustrations of elephants and tourists, serves as a tribute to Ahmed’s legacy and the efforts to protect him from poachers.
- Ahmed rose to prominence in the 1960s when hikers in the Northern Kenya mountains spotted him. His massive tusks, reported to scrape the ground, set him apart from other elephants and led to global recognition. Ahmed soon became known as “The King of Marsabit.”
06 December 2023 CURRENT AFFAIRS | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR