Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 11 December 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on New CM of Chhattisgarh, Global Climate Performance Index, International Mountain Day 2023.
Top 21 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 11 December 2023
1.PM Inaugurates First Indian Art, Architecture & Design Biennale 2023 At Red Fort, Delhi
- The Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, inaugurated the first Indian Art, Architecture & Design Biennale (IAADB) 2023 at the iconic Red Fort. The event also marked the launch of the ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat Centre for Design’ and the student Biennale, Samunnati.
- During the inaugural ceremony, Shri Modi unveiled the ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat Centre for Design‘ and explored the exhibition, emphasizing the Red Fort’s historical importance. The establishment of cultural spaces in five major cities namely Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Varanasi was highlighted as a historic step to enrich these cities culturally.
- The Prime Minister positioned IAADB as a crucial step towards institutionalizing global cultural initiatives in India. He mentioned upcoming events like the International Museum Expo and the Festival of Libraries in 2023, aiming to establish India’s presence alongside renowned global initiatives.
2.Supreme Court Upholds Abrogation of Article 370: Key Judgement Highlights
- The Supreme Court’s landmark decision on December 11, 2023, upheld the Union Government’s 2019 move to abrogate the special status of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) under Article 370 of the Constitution.
- The judgment, delivered by a Constitution bench led by Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud, addressed key constitutional questions and outlined significant conclusions.
- The Supreme Court validated the Union Government’s decision to revoke the special status of J&K under Article 370, emphasizing that the state had no internal sovereignty. The court clarified that the concurrence of the State Government was not necessary, and Article 370 was deemed a temporary provision.
3.Vishnu Deo Sai Is New Chhattisgarh Chief Minister
- In a strategic move ahead of the 2024 general elections, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has selected Vishnu Deo Sai, a tribal leader and former Union Minister, as its candidate for the Chief Minister’s position in Chhattisgarh.
- Vishnu Deo Sai, 59, is a four-term Member of Parliament and has previously served as the president of the Chhattisgarh unit of the BJP from 2020 to 2022. He is recognized for his organizational skills and maintains a non-controversial image in the political arena. Having been a member of the BJP National Working Committee, Sai has a long-standing association with the party.
4.Uttar Pradesh Delegation Heads to Davos for World Economic Forum
- A high-level delegation from the Uttar Pradesh government is set to participate in the World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting in Davos, Switzerland, scheduled from January 15 to 19.
- The delegation aims to showcase the state’s strides towards becoming a trillion-dollar economy and transforming metropolitan towns into focal points across various sectors.
- With a focus on propelling Uttar Pradesh into the league of trillion-dollar economies within the next five years, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath’s vision drives the state’s multifaceted approach. The delegation will shed light on the strategic development of metropolitan towns, emphasizing their role as hubs across diverse sectors.
5.Union Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurates ‘Krishnaveni Sangeetha Neerajanam’ in Vijayawada
- Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, inaugurated the Krishnaveni Sangeetha Neerajanam at Tummalapalli Kalakshetram in Vijayawada.
- The festival promises a three-day classical music extravaganza featuring performances by renowned musicians, an exhibition and sale of regional cuisine, local handicrafts, and handlooms.
- During the inauguration, Minister Sitharaman highlighted the rich legacy of Telugu culture and the significant contributions of the Telugu language to classical traditions.
- She commended the efforts to organize the grand music festival in Andhra Pradesh, emphasizing the need to revive the glorious traditions and introduce them to the younger generation.
6.Indian Army Organizes Table-top Exercise To Empower ASEAN Women Officers
- In a significant step towards fostering gender inclusivity and strengthening the capabilities of women military personnel in peacekeeping operations, the Indian Army recently conducted a table-top exercise (TTX) for women officers from the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- This exercise, held at the Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi from December 4 to 8, is part of the ongoing joint military training initiatives between India and ASEAN member states. The initiative is spearheaded by the Centre for United Nations Peacekeeping (CUNPK).
- The table-top exercise serves as a follow-up to the collaborative efforts between India and ASEAN to enhance the preparedness and proficiency of women officers in peacekeeping missions.
- The exercise stands as a landmark initiative, explicitly designed to promote gender inclusivity and elevate the capabilities of women military personnel operating in peacekeeping environments.
7.Indian Naval Ship Sumedha Makes Inaugural Arrival at Port Lamu, Kenya
- As part of its ongoing long-range deployment to Africa, the Indian Naval Ship Sumedha made a historic arrival at Port Lamu, Kenya on 09 December 2023.
- This visit is significant as it marks the first port call by any Indian Naval Ship at the recently developed port in Kenya, showcasing the growing maritime collaboration between India and Kenya.
- During the port call, personnel from both the Indian Navy and the Kenyan Navy will engage in a wide range of professional interactions. This includes deck visits, where naval officers and sailors will have the opportunity to share insights and experiences, fostering a deeper understanding of maritime operations.
- Additionally, there will be sporting exchanges to strengthen camaraderie and build lasting friendships between the two navies. The visit aims to enhance cooperation and exchange best practices between the Indian and Kenyan navies.
8.Indian Navy Conducts Bi-annual ‘Prasthan’ Exercise off Mumbai Coast
- The Indian Navy, in collaboration with various defense, state, and civil agencies, recently concluded a comprehensive two-phased exercise named ‘Prasthan‘ in the Offshore Development Area off the Mumbai coast.
- This exercise, conducted every six months, is pivotal in validating and refining measures and procedures aimed at addressing various contingencies that may arise in oil production platforms.
- The first phase of the exercise focused on simulating security emergencies, including potential terrorist attacks and bomb threats involving Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).
- The second phase of the exercise focused on responding to contingencies such as fires on the oil platform and assisting a disabled vessel in the offshore development area.
9.Indian Army Organizes ‘Honour Run’ in Delhi to Commemorate Kargil War Victory
- In a tribute to the historic military triumph during the Kargil War, the Indian Army orchestrated the ‘Honour Run – Indian Army Veteran’s Half Marathon’ in Delhi on December 10, 2023.
- The event, conducted under the theme ‘Honour Run,’ aimed to foster a stronger connection between the Indian Army, veterans, and the public, especially the youth.
- Participants from diverse backgrounds paid homage to the bravehearts, showcasing the nation’s caliber, potential, and energy. Over 14,000 individuals, including serving personnel, veterans, NCC cadets, families of army personnel, and citizens of varying age groups, actively took part in the event.
Important Days News
10.International Mountain Day 2023
- Every year on December 11, we celebrate International Mountain Day to remind ourselves of the incredible importance of mountains in our lives. This year, the theme is “Restoring Mountain Ecosystems.”
- This special day, designated by the United Nations, encourages us to think about how we can protect these natural wonders and ensure a better future for our planet.
- Mountains cover about 27% of the Earth’s land, and they are like nature’s treasure chests. They are home to 15% of the world’s population! Not only that, but they also host around half of the world’s biodiversity hotspots, which means they’re like a haven for various plants and animals.
Ranks & Reports News
11.Startup funding: India slips to 4th spot in global ranking after dismal 2023
- India, once a powerhouse in the global startup ecosystem, has experienced a significant downturn in its funding trajectory, slipping to the fourth position in the global ranking among the highest-funded geographies in 2023. This decline comes after securing the third spot in both 2021 and 2022.
- After consecutively holding the third position, India finds itself behind the US, the UK, and China in 2023, receiving a meager $7 billion in total funding by December 5, according to data from Tracxn.
- In the third quarter of 2023, India further slipped to the fifth position among the highest-funded countries, lagging behind the US, the UK, China, and France. Q3 witnessed a substantial 30% drop from Q2 2023 and a staggering 54% drop compared to Q3 2022.
12.Tiriyani Block Clinched Top Spot In NITI Aayog’s Inaugural Delta Rankings
- In a significant milestone for the Aspirational Blocks Programme (ABP), Tiriyani Block of Kumuram Bheem Asifabad district, Telangana, has secured the top position in the first delta rankings announced by NITI Aayog.
- The rankings were determined based on the performance of blocks and progress achieved in the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) during the month.
- In addition to ABP, the event also announced the Achievers of Development Programme (ADP) rankings for October 2023. Rayagada in Odisha and Jamui in Bihar secured the first and second ranks, respectively, in this initiative.
13.ITC becomes world’s 3rd most valuable tobacco company after London-based BAT sinks
- In a significant market shift, ITC Ltd has emerged as the third most valuable tobacco company globally, overtaking British American Tobacco (BAT). The transition follows a sell-off in BAT shares, underscoring ITC’s dynamic business diversification.
- As of the latest trading day, ITC boasts a market capitalization of $68.6 billion, outperforming BAT, which stands at $64.9 billion. ITC’s stock has experienced a remarkable upward trend, gaining 34.7% in one year and an impressive 125.5% in three years.
- ITC’s diversification from tobacco to FMCG, hotels, papers, and agri-products has fueled investor confidence. The tobacco business now constitutes only 37% of ITC’s gross revenue but remains a significant contributor, constituting 78% of the company’s profit before tax.
14.India’s Remarkable Climb to 7th Place in Global Climate Performance Index
- In a major leap towards sustainable practices, India has clinched the 7th position in the latest edition of the Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI). The announcement, made during the COP-28 in Dubai, solidifies India’s status as a top performer for the fifth consecutive year.
- India’s exceptional ascent is primarily attributed to its outstanding performance in renewable energy, surpassing other developing nations. This achievement is particularly notable, considering the comparative evaluation within the same timeframe.
- India shines in the greenhouse gas emissions category, boasting low emission levels and minimal travel-related impact. The focus on the food sector, a crucial component of the CCPI, significantly contributes to India’s remarkable standing.
15.PM Modi Retains Title of World’s Most Popular Leader with 76% Approval: Morning Consult Survey
- In a recent survey conducted by US-based consultancy firm ‘Morning Consult,’ Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has secured the top position as the world’s most popular leader, boasting an impressive approval rating of 76%. This notable achievement places him more than 10 percentage points ahead of the next leader in the rankings.
- Modi has consistently held the top position, maintaining a 76% approval rating in the September survey. This trend aligns with his previous rankings in April (76%) and February (78%).
Rank Leader Approval Rating (%) 1 Prime Minister Narendra Modi 76 2 President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (Mexico) 66 3 President Alain Berset (Switzerland) 58 4 President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva (Brazil) 49 7 President Joe Biden (United States) 40
Summits & Conferences News
16.Invest India To Host 27th World Investment Conference, New Delhi
- Invest India, the National Investment Promotion and Facilitation Agency of the Government of India, is set to host the 27th World Investment Conference (WIC) from December 11-14, 2023.
- The event, under the aegis of the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), promises to be a groundbreaking platform for global investment promotion and innovation stakeholders.
- This year’s conference will delve into the theme of “Empowering Investors: IPAs Pioneering Future Growth.” The focus is on discussing investment policies and trends, providing a unique opportunity for collaboration, trade, investments, and knowledge sharing.
Books & Authors News
17.Ram Nath Kovind Launches Book ‘Naye Bharat Ka Samveda’ on PM Modi
- Former President Shri Ramnath Kovind graced the launch of ‘Naye Bharat ka Samaveda,’ a seminal collection spotlighting Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s impactful speeches, delving deep into the core essence and values embedded in our nation’s Constitution.
18.REC Signs 200M Euro Loan With German Bank KfW For Distribution Sector Reforms
- REC Limited, a prominent Maharatna Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) under the Ministry of Power, achieved a significant milestone by signing a 200 million Euro loan agreement with the German bank KfW.
- This agreement, marking REC’s sixth line of credit under the Indo-German Development Cooperation, emphasizes the corporation’s commitment to strengthening the distribution infrastructure of DISCOMs in alignment with the Revamped Distribution Sector Scheme (RDSS) of the Government of India.
- The RDSS scheme aims to achieve this by providing result-linked financial assistance to DISCOMs, contingent upon meeting pre-qualifying criteria and achieving specified minimum benchmarks.
19.Nikhil Dey Named ‘2023 International Anti-Corruption Champion’ by the US Government
- Indian social activist Nikhil Dey has been honored as an International Anti-Corruption Champion by the US government for 2023. For the past 35 years, Nikhil Dey has been a stalwart advocate for policy reforms aimed at empowering workers in India.
- Dey is the co-founder of the Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan (MKSS), a Rajasthan-based organization at the forefront of transparency and anti-corruption movements in India.
- The US State Department acknowledged his efforts in bringing official corruption to light, specifically instances such as the underpayment of workers on official projects. Dey’s work has centered on building empowerment campaigns for peasants and workers, targeting corruption in the delivery of essential government services.
20.Former West Indies batter Joe Solomon dies at 93
- Joe Solomon, the former West Indies and Guyana cricket player, has passed away at the age of 93. Solomon was a big part of West Indies cricket in the late 1950s and 1960s, and he’s remembered for his amazing performances on the field.
- Joe Solomon started playing cricket when he was 26, which is a bit later than most players. He made a spectacular entrance into the game by scoring three centuries in his first matches: 114 not out against Jamaica, 108 against Barbados, and 121 against the touring Pakistan team.
- One of Solomon’s most memorable moments was in the historic tied Test against Australia in 1960 at the Gabba. In a super close finish, Australia needed six runs off the last eight balls with three wickets in hand. It looked like they would win, but Solomon’s accurate throw caught a player out of his crease, resulting in the first-ever tied Test.
21.Veteran Kannada Actor Leelavathi Passes Away at 86
- In a poignant moment for fans and the film fraternity, the revered Kannada actor Leelavathi has passed away at the age of 86. The seasoned artist, known for her versatile performances, left an indelible mark on the Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil, and Telugu film industries.
- Leelavathi, with a career spanning over 600 films, embarked on her cinematic journey with her debut in “Bhakta Prahlada” in 1958. Stepping into the Kannada film industry as a leading lady in “Mangalya Yoga” the same year, she quickly established herself as a prominent figure.
11 December 2023 CURRENT AFFAIRS | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR