Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 12 February 2024. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on JK ST Quota Bill, Dakshin Bharat Sanskritik Kendra, National Creators Award, World Radio Day 2024.
Top 24 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 12 February 2024
1.PM Inaugurates Projects Worth Rs. 7300 Crores In Jhabua, Madhya Pradesh
- In a move towards growth, Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated development projects in Jhabua, Madhya Pradesh, focusing on uplifting the tribal population.
- These projects, with an estimated worth of about Rs 7300 crores, aim to bolster various sectors, including water supply, education, road infrastructure, and more.
- Under the Aahar Anudan Yojna, Prime Minister Modi also disbursed monthly instalments to approximately 2 lakh women beneficiaries from specially backward tribes.
- This initiative, providing Rs 1500 per month for nutritious food, is a step towards ensuring the well-being of marginalized communities.
2.PM Modi To Inaugurate Fourth Terminal At Cherlapally
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to inaugurate the upcoming fourth terminal at Cherlapally, Telangana towards the end of the month or in the first week of March.
- Union Minister for Tourism, Culture and Development of Northeast Region, G. Kishan Reddy highlighted the ongoing redevelopment of Secunderabad railway station is costing approximately ₹700 crore.
- Once completed, the modern station aims to resemble an airport, featuring segregated arrivals and departures, food courts, passenger lounges, disabled-friendly facilities, and eco-friendly structures.
3.Parliament Passes Historic JK ST Quota Bill, Two Other Reservation Bills
- The Rajya Sabha cleared three Bills related to J&K aiming to address issues of reservation for marginalized communities and modify existing lists of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in the Union territory.
- 1. Jammu and Kashmir Local Bodies Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2024. 2. Constitution (Jammu and Kashmir) Scheduled Tribes Order (Amendment) Bill, 2024. 3. Constitution (Jammu and Kashmir) Scheduled Castes Order (Amendment) Bill, 2024.
- The purpose of passing the bills is to provide reservations to Other Backward Classes (OBCs) in local bodies within the Union Territory. It was moved by Union Minister of State for Home, Nityanand Rai.
4.Former PM Alexander Stubb Wins Finland Presidential Election
- Former Prime Minister Alexander Stubb secured victory in Finland’s presidential runoff against ex-Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto.
- This win places Stubb in charge of navigating Finland’s foreign and security policies, particularly significant given Finland’s recent NATO membership following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
- Stubb of the National Coalition Party secured 51.6% of the votes, while independent candidate Haavisto received 48.4%.
5.Sangeet Natak Akademi To Establish Cultural Center In Hyderabad
- The Ministry of Culture takes a momentous stride towards cultural enrichment with the inauguration of the Regional Centre of Sangeet Natak Akademi in Hyderabad, known as the Dakshin Bharat Sanskritik Kendra.
- The Dakshin Bharat Sanskritik Kendra, envisioned as a premier cultural space, will serve as a hub for the promotion and preservation of various art forms including music, folk and tribal arts, theater, and puppetry.
- It will be a beacon for the advancement of South India’s rich artistic legacy. The initiative also commemorates the 100th birth anniversary of Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao, a stalwart in both music and the freedom movement.
6.Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System Inaugurated In Andaman and Nicobar command
- In a significant move to bolster India’s maritime security and operational capabilities, Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) Admiral R. Hari Kumar recently concluded a pivotal visit to the Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC), India’s only operational triservice command.
- His visit from February 6 to 9, 2024, underscored the Indian Navy’s commitment to enhancing its strategic posture and surveillance capabilities in the crucial maritime region.
- A highlight of Admiral Kumar’s visit was the inauguration of a state-of-the-art Precision Approach Radar (PAR) at INS Utkrosh. This advanced radar system is a game-changer for naval aviation, providing highly accurate horizontal and vertical guidance to aircraft, particularly under low visibility conditions such as heavy rain and fog.
7.EPFO Raises Interest Rate on PF Deposits to 8.25%, A Three Year High
- During a Central Board of Trustees (CBT) meeting, the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) decided to raise the EPF interest rate to 8.25% for FY 2023-24.
- This marks a three-year high for the interest rate on EPF deposits. In March 2023, the interest rate on EPF was marginally increased to 8.15% for the fiscal year 2022-23, up from 8.10% in the previous fiscal year.
- However, in March 2022, the EPFO had lowered the interest rate on EPF to 8.1%, the lowest in over four decades, for the fiscal year 2021-22, down from 8.5% in 2020-21. The interest rate on EPF for the fiscal year 2020-21 was set at 8.5% by the CBT in March 2021.
8.Launch of UPI and RuPay Card in Sri Lanka and Mauritius
- India’s flagship instant payment system, the Unified Payments Interface (UPI), along with RuPay card services, is set to be launched in Sri Lanka and Mauritius on February 12.
- UPI services will be extended to Sri Lanka and Mauritius, facilitating seamless digital transactions for Indian nationals visiting these countries and Mauritian nationals traveling to India.
- In addition to UPI, RuPay card services will be introduced in Mauritius, allowing Mauritian banks to issue cards based on the RuPay mechanism.
9.Paytm E-commerce Rebrands as Pai Platforms, Acquires Bitsila
- Paytm E-commerce has been renamed as Pai Platforms. Alongside this rebranding, it has acquired Bitsila, a prominent seller platform operating within the Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC).
- Paytm E-commerce Private Limited officially becomes Pai Platforms Private Limited, following approval from the Registrar of Companies on February 8.
- The company’s original incorporation under the name Paytm E-Commerce Private Limited marks its evolution into Pai Platforms.
Important Days News
10.International Day for the Prevention of Violent Extremism as and when Conducive to Terrorism 2024
- Every year on February 12th, the world observes the International Day for the Prevention of Violent Extremism as and when Conducive to Terrorism (PVE Day).
- This crucial day serves as a platform to raise awareness about the dangers of violent extremism and promote international cooperation in tackling this complex issue.
- This year’s theme: “Living Together: Fostering Community Resilience to Prevent Violent Extremism as and when Conducive to Terrorism” underscores the collective responsibility to build inclusive and resilient societies where violent extremism finds no ground.
11.200th Birth Anniversary of Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati
- In a momentous commemoration of the 200th birth anniversary of Swami Dayananda Saraswati, PM Modi delivered a profound address via video message at the birthplace of the revered Swami, Tankara in Morbi, Gujarat.
- Maharishi Dayanand Saraswati, born Mool Shankar Tiwari on February 12, 1824, in Tankara, Gujarat, was a stalwart of Indian society whose influence resonates to this day.
- His profound impact on religious reform, education, and social justice laid the groundwork for a modern and enlightened India. From the founding of the Arya Samaj to his relentless advocacy for Vedic principles, Maharishi Dayanand’s legacy continues to inspire generations.
12.World Radio Day 2024, Date, History, Significance and Theme
- Every year on February 13th, the world unites to celebrate World Radio Day, a day that marks the enduring significance of radio as a medium of communication.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) honours this day to reflect on radio’s vast virtues and its ongoing relevance in today’s digitally divided world.
- The theme for World Radio Day 2024, “Radio: A Century Informing, Entertaining and Educating,” celebrates the historical evolution of radio and its profound impact on society.
13.World Unani Day 2024, Date, History and Significance
- World Unani Day is celebrated annually on February 11, marking the birth anniversary of Hakim Ajmal Khan, a renowned Unani practitioner and visionary who made significant contributions to the field of Unani medicine.
- This day is dedicated to raising awareness about the Unani system of medicine, one of the oldest healthcare systems in the world, which originated in Greece and was further developed in the Middle East and South Asia.
- The celebration of World Unani Day underscores the importance of traditional medicine in contemporary healthcare and its potential to promote health, wellness, and sustainable healthcare solutions globally.
Ranks & Reports News
14.NITI Aayog’s Economic Transformation Plans for Mumbai, Surat, Varanasi, and Vizag
- NITI Aayog, under the leadership of CEO BVR Subrahmanyam, is spearheading an ambitious initiative to drive economic transformation in four key cities – Mumbai, Surat, Varanasi, and Vizag.
- This initiative aims to propel India towards becoming a developed economy by 2047. NITI Aayog has developed comprehensive economic plans for Mumbai, Surat, Varanasi, and Vizag, focusing on their economic transformation.
- A vision document is underway, aiming for India to achieve a developed economy status with a GDP of USD 30 trillion by 2047. PM Modi will unveil this vision document, outlining the path towards economic prosperity.
15.SWATI Portal Launched To Empower Women in STEMM
- The Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi, witnessed the launch of the “Science for Women-A Technology & Innovation (SWATI)” Portal.
- Prof Ajay Kumar Sood, the Principal Scientific Advisor to the Government of India emphasized the significance of the SWATI Portal’s database in shaping policies to tackle the challenges of gender inequality.
- By centralizing information on Indian women and girls in (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Medicine) STEMM fields, this portal aims to bridge the gender gap and promote inclusivity in science and technology.
- The portal features include an interactive database covering various categories such as icons, faculty members, research fellows, students, entrepreneurs, and professionals in alternate careers.
16.Government to Include ASHA and Anganwadi Workers/Helpers in Ayushman Bharat Scheme
- The government is preparing to extend the benefits of the Ayushman Bharat Scheme to Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs) and Anganwadi workers/helpers.
- This initiative aims to provide free health coverage to these essential healthcare workers, aligning with the broader goals of the AB-PMJAY scheme.
- Health Ministry received Aadhaar details of 23 lakh anganwadi workers/helpers & over 3 lakh ASHA workers. Health Secretary Apurva Chandra aims to have their cards ready by March 1.
17.K.P.P. Nambiar Award for ISRO Chairman S. Somanath
- The field of space exploration and technology in India witnessed a momentous occasion as the IEEE Kerala Section announced the recipient of the prestigious K.P.P. Nambiar Award.
- This year, the accolade was bestowed upon ISRO Chairman S. Somanath, a figure synonymous with innovation and leadership in space technology.
- Named after the doyen of the electronic industry and the founder chair of the IEEE Kerala section, K.P.P. Nambiar, the award honors individuals or groups within the State who have demonstrated significant contributions towards the IEEE vision of advancing technology for humanity.
18.Govt Introduces National Creator’s Awards For Modern Influencers
- The government of India introduces the ‘National Creators Award’ to celebrate the remarkable contributions of new-age influencers and creators in shaping India’s digital landscape.
- According to the Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY), this initiative seeks to recognize those individuals who have not only fostered innovation and creativity but have also driven positive social change through their digital endeavors.
- The ‘National Creators Award’ acknowledges outstanding creativity and innovation across more than 20 categories, spanning from storytelling and social change advocacy to environmental sustainability, education, gaming, and beyond.
19.Education Ministry Partners FIFA To Boost Sports Culture With Football
- The Ministry of Education has embarked on a transformative initiative in partnership with the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA).
- This initiative involves the distribution of 11 lakh footballs across the country in a phased manner, benefitting more than 1.5 lakh schools.
- Central to the programme’s ethos is its commitment to inclusivity. Regardless of gender, the initiative aims to seamlessly integrate football-related activities into the education system in collaboration with various stakeholders.
20.Prama India & C-DAC Forge Partnership For Thermal Camera Technology
- In a development for indigenous manufacturing and innovation, Prama India has forged a partnership with the Government of India’s Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC).
- This collaboration, facilitated through a Transfer of Technology (ToT) agreement, focuses on the production, marketing, and support of Thermal Cameras.
- This initiative is aligned with the Digital India Programme’s goal of propelling India towards global leadership in electronics system design and manufacturing (ESDM).
21.Southern Railway Appoints First Transwoman TTE, Breaks Barriers in Dindigul
- Sindhu Ganapathy was appointed as the first transwoman Travelling Ticket Examiner (TTE) of Southern Railway. This marks a significant milestone in the journey towards inclusivity and acceptance in the Indian workforce.
- Ms. Ganapathy’s career with the Railways began in 2003 when she joined as an Assistant. For years, life seemed . At the age of 37, Ms. Ganapathy has not only broken barriers but also set a precedent for the transgender community’s representation in prestigious government positions.
22.Katrina Kaif Joins Chennai Super Kings as Brand Ambassador for IPL 2024
- Chennai Super Kings (CSK) have officially announced the appointment of Katrina Kaif as their brand ambassador for the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) 2024 season.
- The announcement of Katrina Kaif as the brand ambassador comes on the heels of CSK’s newly inked sponsorship deal with Etihad Airways.
- Katrina Kaif, one of Bollywood’s most celebrated actresses, is set to bring her star power to the cricketing world as the new face of Chennai Super Kings. Known for her charismatic presence and massive fan following, Kaif’s association with CSK is expected to amplify the team’s appeal and strengthen its connection with fans across the globe.
23.U19 World Cup 2024 Final, Australia beats India by 79 runs
- Australia U19 win the U19 World Cup 2024 Final by 79 runs. With the massive win over India, Australia has secured its fourth World Cup title in U-19 cricket.
- Australia added to their triumphs in 2002, 2010, and 2020. Their consistent performance throughout the tournament showcased their depth and talent, making them deserving champions.
- Kwena Maphaka was named U19 Cricket World Cup Player of the Tournament and player of the Match was awarded to Mahli Beardman.
24.Veteran artist A Ramachandran Passes Away in Delhi
- On February 10, 2024, the art world lost one of its most distinctive voices when Ramachandran passed away in Delhi at the age of 88.
- Ramachandran’s early works were marked by a distinct awareness of the socio-political turmoil of his times, reflecting the pain and misery he witnessed upon his arrival in post-Partition Kolkata.
- Through his paintings, murals, and illustrations, Ramachandran offered a glimpse into a world where myth and reality intertwine, where nature and humanity coexist in harmony.
12 FEBRUARY CURRENT AFFAIRS 2024 | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR