Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 19 December 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Anand Marriage Act Post Office Bill, 2023, Fastest Solar Electric Boat ‘Barracuda,’ U-19 Asia Cup.
Top 24 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 19 December 2023
1.Implementation of Anand Marriage Act in Jammu and Kashmir
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration has taken a significant step towards fulfilling a long-standing demand of the Sikh community by implementing the Anand Marriage Act.
- This act provides statutory recognition to Sikh marriage rituals, allowing Sikh couples to register their marriages under specific regulations instead of the Hindu Marriage Act.
- The set of regulations, titled ‘Jammu and Kashmir Anand Marriage Registration Rules, 2023,’ outlines the procedures for registering “Anand marriages.”
- According to a government notification issued on November 30, tehsildars within their respective territorial jurisdictions will serve as registrars for such marriages.
2.Parliament Passes Post Office Bill, 2023, Replacing 125-Year-Old Indian Post Office Act, 1898
- The Indian Parliament recently approved the Post Office Bill, 2023, marking a significant overhaul of the 125-year-old Indian Post Office Act, 1898. The new legislation aims to modernize and consolidate the legal framework governing post offices in India.
- The Bill grants post office employees the authority to open, detain, or intercept any item during transmission in the interest of national security or public safety. However, this power is subject to specific conditions.
- While providing immunity for post office employees from liability in delivering services, the Bill includes conditions. Officers are exempt unless they act fraudulently or willfully cause loss, delay, or misdelivery of services.
3.NHAI Launched ERS Mobile App For Swift Emergency Response
- In tandem with the Computer Aided Dispatch System, NHAI has unveiled the NHAI ERS (Emergency Response System) Mobile Application. Functioning as a cohesive platform, this application facilitates the smooth relay of dispatch-related information to on-road units.
- Leveraging mobile technology, NHAI aims to enhance communication and coordination during emergency situations, ultimately bolstering the efficiency of emergency response teams. This mobile application represents a progressive step towards a more connected and responsive emergency infrastructure.
4.China Hit By The Deadliest Earthquake In 13 Years
- At least 118 people in north-west China have lost their lives in the country’s deadliest earthquake in 13 years. The 6.2 magnitude quake struck the mountainous Gansu province around midnight on Monday, also affecting the neighboring Qinghai province.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping has taken swift action, ordering thousands of rescue crews to the region. Gansu province, among the poorest and most diverse in China, faces a daunting challenge in dealing with the aftermath of this natural disaster. A sum of 200 million yuan has been earmarked for assistance, with Jinping directing officials to exert all possible efforts in delivering aid and relief.
5.Bhutan Plans 1,000-sq. km. Green City On Assam Border, Linking South To Southeast Asia
- Bhutan, a picturesque Himalayan kingdom, is set to embark on a transformative journey with the announcement of its ambitious “Gelephu Smartcity Project.” The Bhutanese King, Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck, revealed the plans for a massive “international city” spanning over 1,000 sq. km. on the border with Assam.
- King Jigme Wangchuck positioned the Gelephu project as an “economic corridor connecting South Asia with Southeast Asia via India’s northeastern States.” This railway line is expected to enhance connectivity with roadways, border trading points into Assam and West Bengal, and eventually extend Bhutan’s reach to Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, and Singapore.
6.President Sisi Secures Third Term Amid Economic Challenges
- Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has clinched a third term, garnering 89.6% of the vote in the nation’s latest election, held from December 10-12. Despite economic hardships and regional tensions, Sisi’s victory was anticipated, given the limited opposition.
- Egypt faces a severe economic crisis marked by a 36.4% annual inflation rate, impacting household budgets. Even before the crisis, about two-thirds of the population lived on or below the poverty line. The victory comes amid heightened regional tensions stemming from the Israel-Hamas war in neighboring Gaza, adding to the challenges faced by Sisi’s administration.
7.India Launches ‘Barracuda,’ Nation’s Fastest Solar Electric Boat
- In a significant stride towards sustainable maritime technology, India has unveiled ‘Barracuda,’ the nation’s fastest solar electric boat, at the Navgathi Yard in Panavally, Alappuzha. This cutting-edge vessel, named ‘Saur Shakthi,’ is a collaborative effort between Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd and Navalt, an eco-marine tech company.
- The Barracuda stands as a symbol of efficient and clean energy usage, showcasing India’s commitment to a greener maritime future. Designed by Navalt, the Barracuda is a 14-meter-long and 4.4-meter-wide vessel engineered for workboat purposes.
- It boasts twin 50-kW electric motors, a marine-grade LFP battery, and 6-kW solar power, propelling it to a top speed of 12 knots (23 kmph). The vessel’s capabilities include a range of seven hours on a single charge, making it a formidable addition to eco-friendly maritime transportation.
8.ICRA Upgrades FY24 GDP Growth Forecast to 6.5%
- Domestic rating agency ICRA has adjusted its GDP growth projection for the fiscal year 2024, increasing it to 6.5% from the previous estimate of 6.2%. This update, however, remains below the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) more optimistic 7% GDP growth forecast for the current fiscal year.
- The agency highlights the continued stability of global commodity prices in the ongoing quarter, attributing it to concerns about growing demand from China, ample supplies for commodities like crude oil, and the normalization of supply chains.
9.RBI Central Board Holds 605th Meeting to Deliberate on Economic Landscape
- The 605th gathering of the Central Board of Directors of the Reserve Bank of India, led by Governor Shaktikanta Das, meticulously examined the prevailing economic and financial landscape.
- The discussions, held against the backdrop of the challenging global geopolitical developments, aimed to dissect both domestic and international scenarios. The board scrutinized the economic and financial conditions globally and domestically. Special attention was given to the intricate challenges arising from ongoing geopolitical shifts.
- A key highlight included the discussion on the draft report, shedding light on the trends and progress of banking in India for the fiscal year 2022-23. The thorough examination sought to provide insights into the trajectory and evolution of the banking sector.
Important Days News
10.Goa Liberation Day 2023
- Goa Liberation Day 2023, celebrated annually on December 19, holds special significance as it commemorates the liberation of the state from Portuguese colonial rule. The year 2023 marks the 62nd anniversary of this momentous occasion, highlighting the resilience and determination of the people of Goa in their quest for freedom.
- Goa, with a cultural and religious identity distinct from the rest of India, remained under Portuguese rule for about 451 years. Despite India gaining independence from British rule in 1947, the Portuguese refused to relinquish control over Goa. The Indian government engaged in diplomatic discussions, but when negotiations failed, it resorted to the military option to liberate the region.
Ranks & Reports News
11.India Tops Global Remittance Charts with $125 Billion in 2023: World Bank Report
- The World Bank’s latest report reveals India’s leading position in global remittances, reaching $125 billion in 2023. Apart from India, the top five remittance recipient countries include Mexico (USD 67 billion), China (USD 50 billion), the Philippines (USD 40 billion), and Egypt (USD 24 billion).
- While remittances to low- and middle-income countries grew by 3.8%, challenges include declines in the Middle East and North Africa. The report sheds light on the sustained growth in remittance flows to low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) in 2023, albeit at a slower pace compared to previous years.
12.Afghan NGO Receives International Gender Equality Honor by Finland
- Finland, a global champion of gender equality, recently conferred the International Gender Equality Prize for 2023 to the Afghan Women Skills Development Center, recognizing their unwavering commitment to promoting and safeguarding the rights of women in Afghanistan.
- The Afghan Women Skills Development Center plays a pivotal role in providing training, supporting skills development, and empowering Afghan women. The prestigious award, accompanied by a EUR 300,000 prize, was presented by Finnish Prime Minister Petteri Orpo during a ceremony in Tampere.
13.Dr. Srinivas Naik Dharavath Receives Global Icon Award at G20 Summit In Sri Lanka
- Real Vision Homes Pvt Ltd proudly announces that its Chairman and Managing Director, Dr. Srinivas Naik Dharavath, has been honored with the prestigious Global Icon Award at the G20 Initiative Summit in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Hailing from Suryapet, Telangana, Dr. Srinivas Naik Dharavath’s visionary approach and unwavering dedication have positioned Real Vision Homes Pvt Ltd as a trusted name in the industry.
- This year’s summit held special significance as it marked the 200-year anniversary of Indians’ arrival in Sri Lanka. The United Nations expressed solidarity, recognizing the community’s contributions and addressing historical challenges.
14.Indian Armed Forces officers awarded ‘Golden Owl’ at DSCSC Sri Lanka
- In a remarkable display of excellence, three officers from the Indian Armed Forces, undergoing the prestigious Command and Staff Course at Defence Services Command and Staff College (DSCSC) in Sri Lanka, have been honored with the coveted ‘Golden Owl’ award for their outstanding performance.
- Wing Commander Sumeet Mahajan, Major Rohit, and Lieutenant Commander Sunny Sharma, representing the Air Force, Army, and Navy wings respectively, demonstrated unparalleled excellence by securing the top positions among foreign student officers.
- The ‘Golden Owl’ award holds great significance as it symbolizes the pinnacle of success for military officers attending the DSCSC course. It not only commends the recipients for their prowess in joint operations and higher command but also acknowledges their ability to excel among their international peers.
15.India And ADB Ink $250M Loan For Industrial Corridor Development
- The Government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) recently solidified their collaboration with the signing of a $250 million policy-based loan on December 15, 2023.
- This financial support, part of the Industrial Corridor Development Programme (Subprogramme 2), aims to enhance manufacturing competitiveness, fortify national supply chains, and integrate with global value chains.
- The programme’s impact is anticipated to extend to various sectors, including agribusiness, automotives, electronics, food and beverages, heavy machinery, pharmaceuticals, and textiles. By creating jobs in industrial nodes, it is expected to contribute significantly to poverty alleviation in the corridor states.
16.IIT Kanpur Collaborated with Indian Navy to Promote Technology Development
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IITK) and the Indian Navy have joined hands in a landmark Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed at the Naval Headquarters.
- This collaborative initiative aims to propel technology development, foster innovative solutions and engage in joint Research and Development (R&D) endeavors.
- The MoU serves as a comprehensive framework, laying the groundwork for both entities to intensify capacity building efforts. The collaboration envisions tackling real-world challenges faced by the Indian Navy through the exchange of faculty and guest lectures.
17.NSDC And Saudi Arabia Govt Join Hands To Safeguard Indian Laborers’ Rights
- The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) has recently inked a MoU with the government of Saudi Arabia, marking a significant step towards protecting the rights of skilled labourers from India. This collaboration aims to enhance transparency and ensure the well-being of Indian workers employed in Saudi Arabia.
- NSDC CEO Ved Mani Tiwari mentioned that NSDC is currently collaborating with 13 countries. Additionally, plans are underway to establish 30 skill international centres in the near future, further bolstering the mission’s global reach.
- The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), founded on July 31, 2008, operates as a not-for-profit public limited company according to the Companies Act, 1956. Its primary objective is to act as a catalyst in fostering the establishment of substantial, high-quality, and financially sustainable vocational institutions.
18.Reuven Azar Appointed as Israel’s New Ambassador to India
- In a significant diplomatic development, the Israeli government, on December 17, gave its nod to the appointment of Reuven Azar as the new Ambassador to India.
- Reuven Azar holds a graduate and post-graduate degree in International Relations from the Hebrew University, showcasing his academic prowess.
- Mr. Azar, currently serving as the Ambassador of Israel to Romania, will also take on the role of the non-resident Ambassador to Sri Lanka and Bhutan.
- His appointment is part of a broader initiative by the Israeli government to designate 21 new Heads of Missions. The seasoned diplomat brings a wealth of experience to his new role, having served in various key positions over nearly three decades.
19.India’s Uma Sekhar Elected to Governing Council of UNIDROIT
- Ms. Uma Sekhar achieved a remarkable victory by securing 45 out of 59 votes in the initial round of elections for the Governing Council of the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT) held in Rome, Italy.
- UNIDROIT, the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law, operates as an independent intergovernmental organization headquartered in Rome, Italy. Its core mission involves studying the needs and methods for modernizing, harmonizing and coordinating private and commercial law among States and groups of States. UNIDROIT actively formulates uniform law instruments, principles and rules to achieve these objectives.
20.Djokovic and Sabalenka Clinch 2023 ITF World Champion Titles with Stellar Performances
- In a fitting recognition of their outstanding achievements on the tennis court, Novak Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka have been named the 2023 ITF World Champions by the International Tennis Federation.
- Novak Djokovic, a tennis legend, secured his eighth ITF World Champion award after an extraordinary year. Djokovic’s remarkable performances saw him claim victories at the Australian Open, French Open, and US Open, adding to his men’s leading total of 24 Grand Slam titles.
- Aryna Sabalenka, in her breakthrough season, earned her first ITF World Champion honor. The Belarusian tennis star had an exceptional year, demonstrating her prowess on the court and making her mark in the Grand Slam tournaments.
21.Zinc Football Academy Achieves AIFF’s Elite 3-Star Rating
- In just over 6 years since its inception, Zinc Football Academy, a CSR initiative of Hindustan Zinc, has been awarded the prestigious ‘Elite 3-star’ rating by the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
- This recognition firmly places Zinc Football among the best youth development academies in India, marking a historic moment in the academy’s journey.
- Zinc Football Academy’s program operates on a full-scholarship model, demonstrating its commitment to fostering and nurturing young footballing talent.
- The Elite 3-star rating opens new doors for Zinc Football Academy, allowing it to participate in the prestigious AIFF Youth League alongside the youth teams of ISL and I-League clubs.
22.Mitchell Starc overtakes Cummins and gets record ₹24.75 crore by KKR
- Mitchell Starc marks a remarkable return to the IPL, securing a spot with Kolkata Knight Riders for the 2024 season after the franchise successfully bid ₹24.75 crore for the Australian pace bowler.
- The bidding war intensified as Mumbai Indians and Delhi Capitals vied for his services, reaching ₹9.6 crore. However, Kolkata Knight Riders and Gujarat Titans entered the fray, driving the price beyond ₹10 crore and eventually crossing the ₹20 crore thresholds.
- Mitchell Starc previously featured in two IPL seasons in 2014 and 2015, representing Royal Challengers Bangalore. The 33-year-old, who recently played a pivotal role in Australia’s ICC World Cup victory, is set to make a significant impact in the upcoming IPL season with Kolkata Knight Riders.
23.U-19 Asia Cup, Bangladesh Beat UAE To Lift Trophy
- In a fantastic cricket match, Ashiqur Rahman Shibli helped Bangladesh’s Under-19 team win a big tournament called Under-19 Asia. Shibli did amazingly well with his bat, scoring a second century in five matches, leading Bangladesh to an impressive win over UAE.
- Ashiqur Rahman Shibli, who is a wicketkeeper and batter, batted first for Bangladesh. He hit the ball really well and scored 129 runs in just 149 balls, making 12 fours and a six. This helped Bangladesh score a total of 282/8 runs in 50 overs. The Bangladesh team played brilliantly throughout the tournament, winning all five matches they played.
- Ashiqur Rahman Shibli’s outstanding performance didn’t go unnoticed. He was named the Player of the Match and Series. Shibli scored a total of 378 runs in five innings during the tournament, showing he was a key player for Bangladesh.
24.Haryana Dominates Medal Tally With 40 Gold, 39 Silver and 26 Bronze in Inaugural Khelo India Para Games
- The Khelo India Para Games 2023 concluded on December 17 in New Delhi, showcasing the remarkable talents of para athletes from across the country.
- The inaugural edition of the event saw Haryana clinched the top spot, securing a total of 105 medals, including 40 gold, 39 silver and 26 bronze. The competition, which began on December 10, featured around 1,450 para athletes representing 32 states and Union Territories.
- Haryana emerged as the overall winner of Khelo India Para Games 2023. The state’s athletes secured an impressive medal haul, with 40 gold, 39 silver and 26 bronze medals. Among the standout performances was Pranav Soorma’s exceptional achievement in the club throw event, where he not only won gold but also set a new Asian record with an impressive throw of 33.54 meters.
19 December 2023 CURRENT AFFAIRS | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR