Table of Contents
Read the most important current affairs of 22 December 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Portal For Innovative Geoscience Exploration, ‘CMD Of The Year,’ National Mathematics Day 2023.
Top 17 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 22 December 2023
1.Telecom Bill 2023 Approved By Parliament
- The Lok Sabha recently approved the Telecommunications Bill, 2023, a significant piece of legislation that empowers the government to temporarily take control of telecom services in the interest of national security.
- The bill, passed by a voice vote after a brief debate, also addresses the allocation of satellite spectrum and grants the government authority to assume possession of a telecom network during public emergencies or in the interest of public safety.
- The bill, spearheaded by Communications Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, outlines provisions for stopping transmission and intercepting messages in case of public emergencies. It emphasizes that such measures are essential to prevent incitement for committing offenses during times of crisis.
2.Ministry Of Mines Unveils Portal For Innovative Geoscience Exploration
- The Ministry of Mines launched the National Geoscience Data Repository (NGDR) Portal. This initiative, spearheaded by the Geological Survey of India (GSI) and Bhaskaracharya Institute of Space Applications and Geoinformatics (BISAG-N), is poised to revolutionize access to critical geoscience data.
- The NGDR Portal stands as a comprehensive online platform designed to facilitate the access, sharing, and analysis of geospatial information across the entire nation. The initiative aims to democratize crucial geoscience data, providing stakeholders in various industries and academia with unprecedented access to invaluable resources.
- The portal serves as a one-stop solution for accessing a wide array of geospatial information, streamlining the process for users across different sectors. Users can leverage the portal for in-depth analysis of geospatial information, fostering informed decision-making in diverse fields.
3.RBI Boosts Liquidity Support in 7-Day VRR Auction on Dec 22
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is set to increase its liquidity infusion into the banking system through the 7-day variable rate repo (VRR) auction on December 22.
- The central bank, responding to a liquidity deficit near an 8-year high of ₹2.27-lakh crore as of December 20, has raised the offered amount to ₹1.75-lakh crore, up from ₹1-lakh crore in the previous week.
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das highlighted the liquidity challenges, noting that the system faced deficit conditions for the first time since September 2023. The central bank is closely monitoring liquidity conditions, with recent easing attributed to increased government spending and a balanced liquidity distribution among market participants.
4.RBI Proposes Draft Framework for Self-Regulatory Organisations (SROs) in Banking and NBFCs
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released a preliminary framework for self-regulatory organizations (SROs) aimed at overseeing banks, non-banking financial companies (NBFCs), and other entities under its regulatory purview.
- The move aligns with RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das’s September suggestion for fintech firms to establish an industry SRO. To qualify for an SRO license, applicants must establish a not-for-profit company possessing sufficient net worth and infrastructure capabilities for ongoing responsibilities.
- Applicants must represent their respective sectors and demonstrate specified membership or provide a roadmap for achieving it within a reasonable timeframe. Clean legal records, both for the applicant and its directors, are imperative, with adherence to fit and proper criteria in all aspects.
5.LIC Granted Extension till 2032 to Achieve 25% Public Shareholding
- Shares of the leading state-run insurer LIC surged to a new 52-week high on December 22 following a significant development. Ongoing trading showed a 5.68% increase, with the stock priced at Rs 808 apiece on the BSE.
- The Ministry of Finance has granted a one-time exemption to Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) regarding the 25% Minimum Public Shareholding (MPS) rule. The decision allows LIC to achieve the mandated 25% MPS within 10 years of its listing, extending the deadline to May 2032.
Important Days News
6.JAG Corps Day Marks 40 Years of Judicial Excellence
- The Judge Advocate General (JAG) Department, the distinguished judicial and legal arm of the Indian Army, commemorates a momentous occasion – its 40th Corps Day on December 21, 2023.
- This celebration resonates with the historic introduction of the Bill for the Army Act in Parliament in 1949, a defining moment that laid the groundwork for the legal dispensation within the military.
- At the heart of military jurisprudence, the JAG Department plays a pivotal role in handling military-related disciplinary cases and litigation. Serving as the legal advisor to the Chief of Army Staff, the Judge Advocate General provides counsel on matters of military, martial, and international law. Simultaneously, the department collaborates with the Adjutant General, contributing to the maintenance of discipline through the application of military law.
7.National Mathematics Day 2023
- Every year on December 22, the nation reveres the brilliance of Srinivasa Ramanujan, one of the greatest mathematicians in history, as National Mathematics Day (NMD).
- The genesis of National Mathematics Day dates back to 2012 when the Manmohan Singh government officially designated December 22 for its observance. This day coincides with the birth anniversary of Srinivasa Ramanujan, born on December 22, 1887, in Erode, Tamil Nadu.
- National Mathematics Day aims to propagate the significance of mathematics in various aspects of life and illuminate Ramanujan’s remarkable contributions. On this occasion, the focus extends beyond textbooks, encouraging children to embrace critical thinking and logical reasoning, mirroring Ramanujan’s unconventional path of learning.
8.MSME Ministry Unveils 3 RAMP Sub-Schemes, Makes ZED Scheme Free For Women
- Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Narayan Rane unveiled three pioneering sub-schemes under the existing RAMP (Raising and Accelerating MSME Productivity) programme.
- These initiatives aim to encourage the adoption of sustainable technology, promote circular economy projects, and tackle the persistent challenge of delayed payments.
- The MSME Green Investment and Financing for Transformation Scheme (MSE GIFT Scheme) is designed to propel enterprises towards adopting green technology.
- A groundbreaking initiative, the MSE Scheme for Promotion and Investment in Circular Economy (MSE SPICE Scheme), marks the government’s first-ever support for circular economy projects.
- In a move to modernize dispute resolution processes, the MSME Ministry introduced the MSE Scheme on Online Dispute Resolution for Delayed Payments.
9.Government Aims to Expand Ayushman Bharat, Adding 270 Million Beneficiaries by January 26
- The Indian government is on a mission to achieve comprehensive coverage for the Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY) by January 26, a colossal undertaking that involves incorporating 270 million additional individuals into its flagship health scheme.
- Presently, over 280 million people possess an Ayushman card, granting access to quality healthcare for those living below the poverty line. However, the government aims to extend coverage to a minimum of 550 million people, leaving a substantial gap of 270 million individuals to be addressed within a little over a month.
- The proliferation of Ayushman cards has resulted in a noteworthy surge in hospitalizations, with the National Statistical Office reporting an approaching 3.16 percent hospitalization rate per 100,000 beneficiaries this fiscal year, surpassing the national average of 2.9 percent.
10.Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh Lead in Solar Park Scheme Capacities
- Two prominent Indian states, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh, have taken significant strides in deploying higher capacities under the “Development of Solar Parks and Ultra Mega Solar Power Projects” scheme.
- This initiative, launched in December 2014 with an initial capacity of 20,000 MW, was later expanded to 40,000 MW in March 2017, aiming to establish at least 50 solar parks by 2023-24.
- The primary objective of the scheme is to facilitate Renewable Energy (RE) developers by providing ready-to-use land and transmission infrastructure. This includes the development of essential elements like land, roads, power evacuation systems, and water facilities, along with obtaining all necessary statutory clearances and approvals.
Ranks & Reports News
11.Bhupender Yadav Unveils NITI Aayog’s Report On Global Green Growth
- Shri Bhupender Yadav, the Hon’ble Minister for the Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change and the Ministry of Labour & Employment, launched a G20 report titled ‘A Green and Sustainable Growth Agenda for the Global Economy’ today in New Delhi.
- NITI Aayog, in partnership with the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the Global Development Network (GDN), published the report based on the proceedings of the G20 international conference held in New Delhi on 28-29 July 2023.
- The report summarizes discussions from a policy conference organized by NITI Aayog, IDRC, and GDN in July 2023, focusing on green and sustainable growth. As a G20 side event, it engaged 40 leading thinkers in shaping a new growth model, covering topics like energy, climate, technology, policy, jobs, trade, global finance, and multilateralism.
12.Sanjay Singh Becomes New Chief Of Wrestling Federation of India (WFI)
- Sanjay Singh, a prominent figure within the former WFI chief Brij Bhushan’s faction and currently the UP Wrestling Association vice president, clinched victory with an overwhelming 40 votes against Anita Sheoran’s meager seven.
- While Anita Sheoran‘s panel faced defeat in the presidential race, they managed to secure the crucial post of secretary general. Satyapal Singh Deshwal, representing Uttarakhand emerged as the new treasurer by defeating Jammu and Kashmir’s Dushyant Sharma with a commanding 34-12 vote margin.
- Prem Chand Lochab, a former RSPB secretary, emerged victorious with a 27-19 vote count against Darshan Lal. Additionally, Devender Singh Kadian, aligned with the protesting wrestlers, claimed the senior vice president’s post by defeating I D Nanavati with a 32-15 margin.
13.ICICI Bank Secures RBI Nod for Sandeep Batra’s Re-Appointment as Executive Director
- In a significant development, ICICI Bank has received the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) approval for the re-appointment of Sandeep Batra as the Executive Director (ED). The approval, conveyed through an official letter, is effective from December 23, 2023, to December 22, 2025.
- The current tenure of Batra, which received RBI approval for three years, concludes on December 22, 2023. In response, the Board of Directors, acknowledging Batra’s contributions, unanimously sanctioned his reappointment for an additional two years, extending from December 23, 2023, to December 22, 2025.
- Sandeep Batra has been serving as ED on ICICI Bank’s Board, overseeing the Corporate Centre since July 2018. His responsibilities span across crucial domains, including credit, corporate communications, data science, finance, human resources, legal, operations, customer service, technology, and secretarial groups.
14.IREDA’s Pradip Kumar Das Wins ‘CMD Of The Year’ For The Second Straight Year
- Shri Pradip Kumar Das, Chairman & Managing Director of Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA), has been honored with the esteemed “CMD of the Year” award under the Mini-Ratna category at the 13th PSE Excellence Awards.
- This recognition is under the Mini-Ratna category, marking the second consecutive year for Shri Pradip Kumar Das. The awards also recognize IREDA’s commitment to upholding the highest standards of corporate governance and social responsibility.
- In addition to Shri Pradip Kumar Das’s individual recognition, IREDA also emerged as a runner-up in four key categories: “Operational Performance Excellence,” “Corporate Governance,” “Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainability,” and “Inclusivity- Contribution of Women and Differently-Abled In.”
15.India’s Hardik Singh Clinched Men’s FIH Player of the Year 2023
- Indian hockey team midfielder, Hardik Singh, clinched the prestigious title of Men’s FIH Player of the Year at the FIH Hockey Star Awards 2023. This recognition adds another feather to the cap of the talented player, who played a pivotal role in India’s bronze medal victory at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- Dutch player Xan de Waard emerged victorious as the Women’s FIH Player of the Year, showcasing outstanding prowess in the field of hockey.
- Savita Punia, captain of the Indian women’s hockey team, secured the title of the Best Goalkeeper of the Year. This marks her third consecutive win in this category, reflecting her consistent excellence between the goalposts.
16.President Droupadi Murmu Awards Crompton for Energy Conservation 2023
- Crompton Greaves Consumer Electricals Ltd. (CGCEL), a leading player in India’s consumer electrical industry, has been honored with the prestigious National Energy Conservation Award 2023.
- The recognition was bestowed by the President of India, Droupadi Murmu, and the Ministry of Power, represented by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), on the occasion of National Energy Conservation Day.
- This latest award adds to Crompton’s impressive track record of consistent excellence. The company has previously secured this esteemed honor across diverse categories such as fans and lights in previous editions of the National Energy Conservation Awards.
17.ArSRLM Signs MoU With SBI For SHG Banking Services
- In a significant move towards empowering self-help groups (SHGs) in Arunachal Pradesh, the Arunachal State Rural Livelihoods Mission (ArSRLM) has forged a strategic alliance with the State Bank of India (SBI).
- The memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed between the two entities aims to provide comprehensive banking services to the SHGs operating in the state.
- The primary objective of this MoU is to streamline and expedite the SHG bank linkage on various fronts, including savings, credit, insurance, and remittances.
- The initiative is set to benefit around 12,000 self-help groups that have been promoted under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM) in Arunachal Pradesh.
22 December 2023 CURRENT AFFAIRS | ALL EXAMS IMP. CURRENT AFFAIRS | ASHISH GAUTAM SIR