Read the most important current affairs of 9 August 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on World Lion Day, World Biofuel Day 2023, Siddique Ismail, Malabar Joint Drills, New CBIC Chairman.
Top 15 Current Affairs and News Headlines of 9 August 2023
1.Over 5.25 crore subscribers enrolled in Atal Pension Yojana
- The Atal Pension Yojana (APY) scheme has reached a remarkable milestone as it completes eight years of successful implementation, gathering an impressive enrollment of over 5.25 crore subscribers.
- Launched in the year 2015, the APY was devised as a potent tool to ensure old age income security for every Indian citizen, with a special focus on those who toil in the unorganized sector.
- Enrollments have shown a consistent upward trajectory since its inception, signifying the resonance of its objectives among the populace. Notably, in the fiscal year 2022-23, new enrollments surged by an impressive 20% compared to the previous year. This growth echoes the trend observed in FY 2021-22, which witnessed a robust 25% increase over FY 2020-21.
2.Iraq bans media from using term ‘homosexuality’
- The media regulatory body of Iraq has issued a prohibition on the usage of the term ‘homosexuality‘ instructing both media and social media entities to employ the term ‘sexual deviance‘ in its place.
- This move comes after significant Iraqi factions have intensified their opposition to LGBT rights, frequently exemplified by the burning of rainbow flags in protests.
- This directive encompasses all media and social media establishments functioning within the country, as specified by the Iraqi Communications and Media Commission (CMC).
3.China’s July Exports Experience Double-Digit Plunge, Adding Pressure to Bolster Ailing Economy
- China, facing a significant economic challenge, saw its exports plummet by double digits in July. The decline, encompasses a 14.5% drop in exports compared to the previous year.
- In the second quarter, economic growth decelerated to a mere 0.8%, a significant drop from the 2.2% recorded in the previous quarter. This translates to an annual growth rate of approximately 3.2%, marking one of China’s weakest performances in decades.
- The 14.5% decline in exports marks the most significant contraction since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. However, this decline is largely attributed to falling prices, as the volume of goods remains higher than the levels observed before the pandemic.
4.Defence Ministry to switch to locally built OS in computers amid threats
- India’s Ministry of Defence has taken a decisive step by opting to replace the Microsoft operating system with a domestically developed alternative named the ‘Maya‘ operating system.
- Devised and formed by a government organization, the Maya Operating System stands as a testament to local innovation and dedication. Its was created within a brief timeframe of just six months.
- This strategic move aims to elevate the nation’s cybersecurity measures in the face of escalating cyber threats.
5.Quad Navies Set to Commence Malabar Joint Drills with a Focus on Anti-Submarine Warfare
- The eagerly anticipated Malabar series of naval exercises, involving the maritime forces of India, Japan, the United States, and Australia, is about to kick off along the eastern coast of Australia.
- This iteration of the exercises will be centered on enhancing anti-submarine warfare capabilities, signaling the participants’ shared commitment to maritime security and cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region.
- The exercises will encompass a diverse range of operations, spanning sea, undersea, and air domains. Coordinated maneuvers, air defense strategies, and sea operations will be practiced extensively. An emphasis on inter-operability among the platforms is at the core of these exercises, aimed at honing the ability of the Quad navies to work seamlessly together.
6.Swathi Mountains: A Compact Weapon Locating Radar
- The Indian Army has recently inducted a new addition to its arsenal, the “Swathi Mountains,” a lighter and more compact version of the indigenous Weapon Locating Radar (WLR-M).
- This advanced radar system, developed by Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) in Bengaluru, holds a pivotal role in enhancing military operations, particularly in challenging terrains.
- The Swathi Mountains WLR stands out as an advanced electronically scanned phased array radar with specialized features tailored for mountainous and high-altitude regions. This radar system is a testament to indigenous technological advancement, contributing significantly to India’s defense capabilities.
7.Public sector banks and major private banks collected over ₹35,000 cr in charges
- As per a Finance Ministry report, both state-owned banks and leading private banks have garnered more than ₹21,000 crore in fees primarily from account holders failing to maintain the minimum balance.
- Charges amounting to over ₹35,000 crore have been amassed since 2018 due to reasons such as non-compliance with minimum balance requirements, additional ATM transactions, and SMS services.
- The RBI emphasizes that these charges should be reasonable and in line with the average cost of providing services. Moreover, the central bank has urged financial institutions to ensure fairness and equity in the fees associated with sending SMS alerts to customers.
Important Days News
8.World Lion Day Observed Globally On 10th August
- Every year on August 10th, people worldwide commemorate World Lion Day. This global observance aims to increase understanding about the conservation and safeguarding of lions. It provides an opportunity to inform individuals about the difficulties these magnificent animals encounter across the globe and to endorse initiatives for their preservation.
- World Lion Day was first established in 2013 by Big Cat Rescue, the world’s largest accredited sanctuary dedicated to lions and it was co-founded by Dereck and Beverly Joubert, a husband-and-wife team who recognised the need to draw attention to the declining lion populations and the threats they were facing in the wild.
9.World Biofuel Day 2023 Observed Globally On 10 August
- World Biofuel Day is observed every year on 10th August to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels and to highlight the various efforts made by the Government in the biofuel sector.
- This day also honors the research experiments by Sir Rudolf Diesel who ran an engine with peanut oil in the year 1893. His research experiment had predicted that vegetable oil is going to replace fossil fuels in the next century to fuel different mechanical engines. The World Biofuel Day is being observed by the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas since 2015.
10.What is BHU-VISION?
- Bhu-Vision (also known as KRISHI-RASTAA Soil Testing System) is a revolutionary IoT-based automated soil testing and agronomy advisory platform that was recently launched in India.
- Bhu-Vision (KRISHI-RASTAA Soil Testing System) is a portable device that can be carried to any location and operated by anyone with minimal training. It uses IoT (Internet of Things) technology to connect with a cloud-based server and a mobile app.
- It can perform 12 key soil parameter tests in just 30 minutes using electrochemical sensors and colourimetric methods. These parameters include pH, electrical conductivity, organic carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, iron, zinc, and boron.
11.GOI says Crop Insurance Claims of worth Rs. 2,761.10 crore pending
- According to the recent data, a significant backlog of pending crop insurance claims totally approximately Rs.2,716.10 crore was revealed till 2021-22 under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojna (PMFBY).
- The delays in settling these claims have stemmed from various factors such as late transmission of yield data, delayed release of the government’s premium subsidy share and disagreements over yield-related matters between insurance companies and states.
- Out of the pendency of claims, the maximum was in Rajasthan (Rs.1,378.34 crore), followed by Maharashtra (Rs.336.22 crore), Gujarat (Rs.258.87 crore), Karnataka (Rs.132.25 crore) and Jharkhand (Rs.128.24 crore).
12.Justice Subhasis Talapatra sworn in as new Chief Justice of Orissa High Court
- Justice Subhasis Talapatra was officially appointed as the 33rd Chief Justice of the Orissa High Court. The oath of office was administered by Governor Ganeshi Lal, marking his succession of Justice S Muralidhar.
- He is set to hold the position of Chief Justice for a relatively short period of under two months, concluding with his retirement on October 3, 2023.
- Born on October 4, 1961, in Udaipur, Tripura, Justice Talapatra began his judicial journey. He assumed the role of a judge in the Tripura High Court on September 13, 2013. He was transferred to the Orissa High Court as a judge on June 1, 2022, where he officially took the oath of office on June 10, 2022.
13.Sanjay Kumar Agarwal takes charge as CBIC Chairman
- IRS officer Sanjay Kumar Agarwal has taken charge as the Chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC). Agarwal succeeds Vivek Johri who superannuated as CBIC chief on May 31.
- In an order issued on August 5, the finance ministry had appointed Agarwal, who was holding charge of CBIC member compliance management, looking into investigations.
- The CBIC, which deals with policy making in indirect taxes — GST, customs, excise — is headed by a chairman and has six members in the board. The board is assisted by principal chief commissioners/chief commissioners and principal director generals/ director generals.
14.Renowned Malayalam director, screenwriter Siddique Ismail passes away
- Renowned Malayalam director and screenwriter Siddique Ismail has passed away at 63. He was known for making movies like Friends (2001), Engal Anna (2004), Sadhu Miranda (2008), Kaalavan (2011), and Bhaskar Oru Rascal (2018). His final directorial venture was the 2020 action thriller film Big Brother, which starred Mohanlal, Arbaaz Khan, Anoop Menon, and Honey Rose.
- Starting their directorial journey as the ‘Siddique-Lal’ duo, they marked their debut with the timeless comedy Ramji Rao Speaking (1989), which was funded by Fazil. This kickstarted a series of remarkable successes in Malayalam cinema history, including iconic films like In Harihar Nagar (1990), Godfather (1991), Vietnam Colony (1992), Kabooliwala (1993), and Hitler (1996).
15.Oscar Winning American Director William Friedkin Passes Away
- William Friedkin, the Oscar-winning American director of films like The Exorcist and The French Connection passed away in Los Angeles(LA), California, United States of America (USA) at the age of 87.
- Friedkin was born in Chicago, Illinois, USA on 29 August 1935. His 1971 film “The French Connection”, a crime thriller, won 5 Oscars including Best Picture, and Best Director for Friedki at the 44th Oscars(1972).
- His last film, “The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial,” is set to premiere at the the 80th Venice International Film Festival,Venice, Italy in September 2023.
Important Current Affairs of 9th August 2023
Get all the International, National, Sports, Economy, latest schemes and appointments and current affairs updates with Adda247 Headlines of the day. Adda247 headlines of the day brings you the best accumulation of the daily updates. Stay updated with us!
All the Best BA’ians for the Bank exam!