Current Affairs 03rd May 2023 are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily Current Affairs is the complete bag of important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update for 03rd May 2023 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Here is the Current Affairs 03rd May 2023 covering the following news headlines: Central Board of Secondary Education, World Press Freedom Index 2023, World Press Freedom Day 2023, World Asthma Day 2023.
1. CBSE ready to introduce AI and coding from Classes 6 to 8
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), as part of the New Education Policy (NEP) 2020, has made the decision to include coding and artificial intelligence (AI) in the curriculum for Classes 6 to 8.
- This move recognizes the importance of mathematics and computational thinking in preparing students for future careers in AI, machine learning, and data science.
2. Supreme Court allows divorce on the grounds of “irretrievable breakdown of marriage”
- The Supreme Court of India has granted couples the right to divorce on the grounds of “irretrievable breakdown of marriage” under Article 142 of the Constitution.
- This ruling applies to cases where both parties seek a mutual consent divorce or where one partner seeks a divorce despite opposition from the other.
3. AI ‘godfather’ Geoffrey Hinton quits Google
- Geoffrey Hinton, the man who won the ‘Nobel Prize of computing’ for his work on neural networks and is known as the godfather of AI, is now speaking against the dangers of artificial intelligence.
- Hinton, alongside two other so-called godfathers of AI bagged the Turing Award in 2018 for their trailblazing work in artificial intelligence, recently quit his job at Google.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Google Founders: Larry Page, Sergey Brin;
- Google Headquarters: Mountain View, California, United States;
- Google Founded: 4 September 1998, Menlo Park, California, United States;
- Google CEO: Sundar Pichai (2 Oct 2015–).
4. Australian High Commission in India Announces Government Grant for Project in Kargil
- The Australian High Commission in India has recently announced its government grant for a project in Kargil. This is a first-time initiative in the history of Ladakh, and it is expected to provide immense benefits to the region.
- The announcement was made during a special meeting at Srinagar, which was chaired by the Australian high commissioner to India, Barry O’Farrell.
5. BRO organizes a Multi-modal Expedition “ EKTA EVAM SHRADHANJALI ABHIYAAN” as part of 64th BRO Day celebrations
- To honor the sacrifices and contributions made by its Karmyogis in nation-building, the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) is organizing “Ekta Evam Shradhanjali Abhiyan” as part of its 64th BRO Day Celebrations.
- On May 1, 2023, Lt. Gen. Rajeev Chaudhry, Director General Border Roads, flagged off the multi-modal expedition from Seema Sadak Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The expedition comprises motorcycle and car rally teams that started their journey from the North East and Northern regions of the country.
6. Indigenous ADC-151 underwent successful first test trial by DRDO and Indian Navy
- The Indian Navy and Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) collaborated to conduct the first successful test trial of a locally-made Air Droppable Container called ‘ADC-150’ from the IL 38SD aircraft off the coast of Goa on April 27, 2023.
- With a payload capacity of 150 kg, the purpose of the test was to enhance the naval operational logistics capabilities and provide an immediate response to meet the engineering stores’ requirements of ships under distress, more than 2,000 km away from the coast.
7. HDFC Bank launches digital distribution platform for its agents and partners
- HDFC Bank, one of India’s leading private sector banks, has introduced its digital distribution platform, HDFC Bank Smart Saathi, to connect business correspondents (BCs) and business facilitators (BFs) to the bank.
- The platform aims to take banking products and services to the last mile, and contribute to the development of the country.
8. World Press Freedom Day 2023 observed on 3rd May
- Every year on May 3, we observe World Press Freedom Day to increase understanding about the significance of a press that is free and not influenced by external forces.
- The occasion emphasizes the importance of unrestricted journalism and advocates for the fundamental right of freedom of speech.
- This year’s World Press Freedom Day focuses on the theme of “Shaping a Future of Rights: Freedom of Expression as a Driver for All Other Human Rights,” which emphasizes the critical role of freedom of expression in safeguarding and promoting other human rights.
9. World Asthma Day 2023 observed on 2nd May
- World Asthma Day is a yearly event that takes place on the first Tuesday of May. Its aim is to increase awareness and encourage better management and care of asthma on a global scale.
- The day is coordinated by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) in partnership with healthcare providers, patient groups, and public health agencies. In 2023, World Asthma Day observed on May 2.
- The Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) has designated “Asthma Care for All” as the theme for the 2023 World Asthma Day.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- WHO Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland;
- WHO Founded: 7 April 1948;
- WHO Director-General: Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
10. Margherita Della Valle named as CEO of Vodafone
- Margherita Della Valle has been interim CEO of Vodafone Group since Nick Read stepped down in December 2022. Vodafone Group announced that Della Valle has been named as permanent Chief Executive.
- Della Valle’s career at Vodafone has included marketing, operational, commercial and financial positions.
11. Vanessa Hudson appointed as the new CEO of Qantas Airways Ltd
- Vanessa Hudson has been appointed as the new CEO of Qantas Airways Ltd, making her the first woman to hold this position in the airline’s history.
- The appointment was made on May 2, and she will take over from Alan Joyce, who is retiring in November.
- Hudson has been with Qantas for 28 years and has held various senior positions, including chief customer officer and senior vice president for the Americas and New Zealand.
Ranks and Reports News
12. World Press Freedom Index 2023: India ranks 161 out of 180 countries
- According to the latest report from global media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF), India has slipped to the 161st position out of 180 countries in the 2023 World Press Freedom Index.
- The report was released by RSF, and it indicates a decline in India’s ranking for press freedom. Nordic countries like Norway, Ireland, and Denmark ranked top three respectively while Vietnam, China, and North Korea were the bottom three countries on the index.
13. Indian Job Market To Witness 22% Churn In 5 Years: WEF
- A new study by the World Economic Forum (WEF) suggests that the Indian job market is expected to witness a 22% churn over the next five years, with top emerging roles coming from AI, machine learning, and data segments. Globally, the job market churn is estimated at 23%, with 69 million new jobs expected to be created and 83 million eliminated by 2027.
14. India edges past China to send more students to US in 2022
- As per a report by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, there has been a significant rise in the number of Indian students who have gone to the United States in 2022.
- India has emerged as the leader when it comes to international students in the US, surpassing China, as reported by the US annual report which states that 64,300 students from India went to the US in 2022, whereas the number from China declined to 24,796.
15. Socialist Pandit Ramkishan Becomes Man Of The Century At 97
- Former Lok Sabha MP Pandit Ramkishan was recently awarded the title of “Shatabdi Purush” (Man of the Century) in New Delhi in recognition of his contributions as a socialist leader. The honor was bestowed on him during the birth centenary celebrations of Madhu Limaye, a renowned socialist ideologue and parliamentarian.
- Ramkishan is considered the most senior and iconic figure in Indian socialism and has been recognized as the “Socialist Shatabdi Purush”. The event was attended by senior politicians including former Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik, CPI(M) General Secretary Sitaram Yechuri, INLD leader Abhay Singh Chautala and JDU leader KC Tyagi.
16. Three imprisoned Iranian female journalists win top UN prize
- On May 3, UNESCO marked World Press Freedom Day by awarding its annual World Press Freedom Prize to three imprisoned Iranian female journalists.
- The winners, Niloufar Hamedi, Elaheh Mohammadi, and Narges Mohammadi, were recognized for their work in reporting on human rights abuses in Iran and their commitment to truth and accountability.
17. Luca Brecel wins snooker World Championship title
- Luca Brecel, the 28-year-old Belgian snooker player, has claimed his first world title after defeating Mark Selby in a thrilling final at the Crucible in Sheffield.
- The match went down to the wire, with Selby putting up a strong fightback to push Brecel to the brink. However, Brecel held his nerve and eventually prevailed with an 18-15 victory.
18. Odisha extends Indian Hockey team sponsorship till 2033
- The Odisha government has decided to further extend its sponsorship for both the Men and Women Indian Hockey Teams (senior and junior) for another ten years from 2023 to 2033.
- The decision in this regard was taken at the Cabinet meeting chaired by chief minister Naveen Patnaik.
- The cabinet on the day approved 15 different proposals submitted by various departments. As Odisha has been the official sponsor of both the Men and Women National Hockey Teams since 2018, this support is going to be a significant step towards the growth and development of Hockey in India, chief secretary P K Jena.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Odisha Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Odisha Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Odisha Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Books and Authors News
19. A book titled “MADE IN INDIA :75 Years of Business and Enterprise” by Amitabh Kant
- Retired Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Amitabh Kant, who served as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog) (2016-2022), has authored a new book titled “Made In India: 75 Years of Business and Enterprise” published by the Rupa Publications India.
Important Current Affairs of 03rd May 2023
Get all the International, National, Sports, Economy, latest schemes and appointments current affairs updates with Adda247 Headlines of the day. Adda247 headlines of the day brings you the best accumulation of the daily updates. Stay updated with us!