Current Affairs 11th January 2023 are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily Current Affairs is the complete bag of important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update for 11th January 2023 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Here is the Current Affairs 11th January 2023 covering the following news headlines: Surya Kumar Yadav, Henley Passport Index 2023, The Kashmir Files, Digital India Awards 2022, Golden Globes Winners 2023, Smriti Mandhana.
Top 22 Daily Current Affairs: National & International News:
Here is providing below the top 22 important Daily General Knowledge 2022 updates with national & international news.
1. Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh Released Theme for National Science Day 2023
- Union Minister of State Science and Technology, Dr. Jitendra Singh released the theme for the “National Science Day 2023”, titled “Global Science for Global Wellbeing” at National Media Centre.
- At the event, Union Minister of State Science and Technology, Minister of State Earth Sciences, MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh expressed his deep gratitude to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his meticulous guidance on the theme, subject, and events on the National Science Day.
- National Science Day is celebrated in India on 28th February every year to mark the discovery of the Raman Effect by Indian physicist CV Raman on 28th February 1928.
2. Gabon names Vice-President and new Prime Minister
- Gabon’s President Ali Bongo has appointed the country’s first female Prime Minister Rose Christiane Ossouka Raponda to the role of Vice-President and named a new PM to replace her.
- Former Minister Alain-Claude Bilie By Nze will replace Ossouka Raponda and form a new government, Bongo’s secretary general Jean-Yves Teale said in a video statement posted on the presidency’s Twitter account.
3. Start Me Up UK Space Mission That Failed
- The mission had been dubbed “Start Me Up,” channeling the Rolling Stones to herald a new era of British space travel. The rocket was set to make history, carrying satellites on what would be the first-ever orbital launch from the U.K.
- But Virgin Orbit says its Launcher One rocket “experienced an anomaly” just before it could deliver its payload, and the craft was lost. Now, officials say, they’ll start again, noting that the mission set a new precedent for the U.K. and proved the viability of their long-term plans.
4. Anurag Kumar appointed CMD of Electronics Corporation of India Limited
- Anurag Kumar was appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL). The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved Kumar’s appointment to the post till the date of his superannuation i.e 31.01.2026.
- According to an order issued from the Department of Personnel & Training (DoPT), Kumar has been appointed to the post of CMD of ECIL for a period with effect from the date of his assumption of charge of the post till the date of his superannuation i.e January 31, 2026, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
5. Herbalife Nutrition India signed Smriti Mandhana as sponsored sports athlete
- Nutrition company Herbalife Nutrition India Private Limited is partnering with international women’s cricketer, Smriti Mandhana as a ‘nutrition sponsor’. She has had an incredible journey, taking the cricket world by storm with her batting performances.
- Currently, she is the vice captain of the Indian women’s national cricket team. Herbalife Nutrition has signed over 100 sponsorship deals with varied world-class athletes, teams and events. Multiple renowned Indian athletes like Virat Kohli, Mary Kom, Lakshya Sen, and Manika Batra have partnered up with Herbalife Nutrition.
6. Vikas Purohit the new global business head of Meta in India
- Meta announced the appointment of former Tata CLiQ CEO Vikas Purohit as the director of global business group in India. In his new role, Purohit will lead Meta’s strategic relationship with various brands and agencies to boost the adoption of digital tools for revenue growth of India’s business.
- At Meta, apart from engaging brands and agencies, Purohit will also lead partnership initiatives with the media and creative ecosystems to increase adoption of Meta’s digital tools. He will head the company’s key business vertical teams, agency teams, and business solutions teams.
- Purohit will report to Arun Srinivas, director and head of Ads Business for Meta in India.
7. ‘Hockey Wali Sarpanch’ inks pact with NABARD to strengthen farmers in Rajasthan’s village
- Neeru Yadav, a.k.a. “Hockey Wali Sarpanch,” has launched a fresh effort to support the farmers of Lambi Ahir Village. Yadav and NABARD have signed an agreement to launch the Farmers Producers Organization (FPO) with the help of SIIRD (Society of Indian Institute of Rural Development).
- FPO is a company that was formally established by farmers. Producers can establish a business on the basis of equity shares, including farmers, milk producers, fishers, weavers, rural artisans, and craftspeople.
- The 15th FPO of this type to be introduced by NABARD in Rajasthan is “Sachhi Saheli Mahila Agro Producer Company Limited,” where Yadav has taken on the role of the company’s Board of Directors.
- Benefits of the existing FPOs in Rajasthan include better bargaining for cheaper input prices, more room for processing and value adds, quality extension, and consulting services.
8. IISC, Axis Bank Ink Pact For Maths, Computing Centre
- Axis Bank has signed an agreement with the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru, to establish a Centre for Mathematics and Computing at the institute.
- The Axis Bank Centre for Mathematics and Computing is India’s first comprehensive Academic Research Centre on Mathematics and Computing. It will play a vital role in building the nation’s future as many contemporary and futuristic areas such as Artificial Intelligence and Data Science rely on the foundations of mathematics and computing.
- Mathematics and Computing are at the core of critical disciplines like Computational Fluid Dynamics, Computational Biology, Quantum Computing, Precision Medicine, Digital Health, Climate Science, Materials Genomics, Cybersecurity, AI, ML, and Data Science.
9. India, Panama Signed MoU on Cooperation in Training Diplomats
- India and Panama have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to encourage cooperation in the training of diplomats. The MoU between India and Panama was signed by the External Affairs Minister of India Dr. Subramanyam Jaishankar and the Foreign Minister of Panama Janaina Tewaney Mencomon.
- The MoU was signed in Indore and the External Affairs Minister has noted that they have discussed the opportunities for greater economic, health, finance, and people-to-people linkage. Both leaders have also shared their perspectives on global situations.
- The 17th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas was held from 8th to 10th January 2023 on the theme ‘Diaspora: Reliable Partners for India’s Progress in Amrit Kaal’.
- On 23rd November 2022, India, Panama held the 2nd Foreign Office Consultation in Panama City, Panama
- In which India was represented by Saurabh Kumar, Secretary (East), and the Panama was represented by Vladimir A Franco Sousa, Vice Minister of External Relations.
10. RBI Lists 6 Rating Agencies for Banks’ Capital Adequacy Purposes
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued the list of six credit rating agencies that banks can use for the purpose of risk weighting banks’ claims for capital adequacy purposes.
- The six credit rating agencies are Acuite Ratings & Research Limited, Credit Analysis and Research Limited (CARE), CRISIL Ratings Limited, ICRA Limited, India Ratings and Research Private Limited (India Ratings)\ and INFOMERICS Valuation and Rating Pvt Ltd. Banks have to get ratings from these agencies to comply with Basel-III capital regulations.
11. BharatPe Gets in-principle nod from RBI to Operate as Online Payment Aggregator
- Fintech platform BharatPe said it has received in-principle authorisation from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to operate as an online payment aggregator (PA). The company said that an in-principle nod was awarded to Resilient Payments Private Ltd, a 100 percent subsidiary of Resilient Innovations Private Ltd (BharatPe).
- RBI’s nod comes amid a slew of high profile exits the Sequoia Capital and Tiger Global-backed firm, which has been battling controversies since last year. It is currently fighting a court battle with its former co-founder Ashneer Grover alleging financial misappropriation. Grover was ousted last year in March.
12. Golden Globes Winners 2023 announced, check the complete list
- The 80th edition of 2023 Golden Globes show, hosted by Jerrod Carmichael, airs live on NBC and Peacock. The 80th Golden Globe Awards is the first edition of the annual spectacle to be on TV since an ethics, finance and diversity scandal involving the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the group behind the awards, led NBC to decide not to air the 2022 ceremony. As in years past, the show will hand out honors in both film and TV categories.
Follow below for updates as winners are announced:
|Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy||“Abbott Elementary”|
|Best Performance by an Actor in a TV Series, Drama||Kevin Costner, “Yellowstone”|
|Best Director, Motion Picture||Steven Spielberg, “The Fabelmans”|
|Best Screenplay, Motion Picture||Martin McDonagh, “The Banshees of Inisherin”|
|Best Motion Picture, Non-English Language||“Argentina, 1985”|
|Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama||Cate Blanchett, “Tár”|
|Best Performance by an Actress in a TV Series, Drama||Zendaya, “Euphoria”|
|Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama||Austin Butler, “Elvis”|
|Best Motion Picture, Animated||“Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio”|
|Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy||Michelle Yeoh, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”|
|Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy||Colin Farrell, “The Banshees of Inisherin”|
|Best Performance by an Actress in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy||Quinta Brunson, “Abbott Elementary”|
|Best Performance by an Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy||Jeremy Allen White, “The Bear”|
|Best Original Song, Motion Picture||“Naatu Naatu,” “RRR”|
|Best Original Score, Motion Picture||Justin Hurwitz, “Babylon”|
13. Digital India Awards 2022, e-NAM wins Platinum Award
- e-NAM, a flagship initiative of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, has won the Platinum Award in the Digital Empowerment of Citizens Category in Digital India Awards 2022 held in New Delhi. The President of India, Smt. Droupadi Murmu, as Chief Guest of the event, has conferred the Digital India Awards, 2022.
- e-NAM is a digital platform integrating 1260 APMC mandis across 22 States and 3 UTs to facilitate online trading of 203 agriculture and horticulture commodities to enable farmers to realize better remunerative prices for their produce.
- e-NAM is catalysing the digital transformation of mandi operations and e- trading of agricultural commodities. As on 31.12.2022, more than 1.74 Crore farmers & 2.39 Lakh traders have been registered on e-NAM portal. A total trade consisting of 69 million metric tonnes of worth Rs. 2.42 lakh crore has been recorded on e-NAM platform.
14. Vivek Agnihotri’s ‘The Kashmir Files’ selected for Oscars 2023
- Vivek Agnihotri’s film ‘The Kashmir Files’ has been shortlisted for Oscars 2023. That means now this film has qualified to get an Oscar. Actors Anupam Kher, Mithun Chakraborthy, Darshan Kumar and Pallavi Joshi are also shortlisted for the best actor category.
- The story of Kashmir Files revolves around the mass exodus of Kashmiri Pandits in the year 1990 following systematic killings of people from the community by Pakistan-backed terrorists. The film was released in theatres in March 2022.
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced its list of films that are eligible for a nomination at the Oscars 2023.
- After RRR, there are three major entries from the Hindi film industry on the list namely The Kashmir Films, Gangubai Kathiawadi, and Rocketry. The films that impressed moviegoers with their storylines are expected to compete in their respective categories with some of the finest movies is shortlisted for the 95th Academy Awards.
Ranks and Reports News
15. Henley Passport Index 2023, Japan retained its top position
- According to the latest Henley Passport Index, Japan has retained its position as the most favourible passport in the world, allowing visa-free entry to 193 global destinations. which the country tops for the fifth consecutive year. Singapore and South Korea came in a joint second on the ranking, followed by Germany and Spain, and then a slew of other European nations.
- The Indian passport was ranked 85th, giving visa-free entry to 59 destinations worldwide. In 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022, the country ranked at 82nd spot, 84th, 85th and 83rd respectively.
- The ranking, published by London-based immigration consultancy Henley & Partners, uses data from the International Air Transport Association to rank 199 passports’ access to 227 travel destinations. The methodology differs from other passport indexes like one published by financial advisory Arton Capital, which put the United Arab Emirates in pole position.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- International Air Transport Association Founded: 19 April 1945, Havana, Cuba;
- International Air Transport Association Headquarters: Montreal, Canada;
- International Air Transport Association Director General: Willie Walsh.
16. Khelo India National Women Kho Kho Leagues to Take Place in Three Phases
- The Khelo India Senior Women National Kho Kho league is to take place at Chandigarh University, Punjab. Khelo India Senior Women National Kho Kho league will be held from 10th to 13th January 2023 and it will be held over three phases.
- The Khelo India Senior Women National Kho Kho league is being organized by the Kho-Kho Federation of India, with complete full financial support from the Department of Sports, Ministry of Youth Affairs, and Sports.
- The Union Ministry has sanctioned the tournament at a total cost of Rs 32.25 Lakh over the three phases.
- The ministry has agreed to a total sum of Rs 18 Lakh as Prize Money for the top 4 positions over the 3 phases.
- In the Khelo India Senior Women National Kho Kho league, a total of 12 teams will be part and 200 players will participate.
- The Kho-Kho women’s league for junior and sub-junior age groups is scheduled from 16th January to 19th January 2023 at the Alberta Ekka Kho Kho Stadium, Hotwar, Ranchi.
17. Surya Kumar Yadav becomes fastest player to reach 1,500 runs in T20I
- Suryakumar Yadav has become the fastest player to reach 1,500 runs in T20 International cricket in terms of balls faced. The took only 843 balls to reach this landmark.
- In 45 matches and 43 innings, Suryakumar has scored 1,578 runs at an average of 46.41. He has three centuries and 13 half-centuries in the format, with the best individual score of 117.
- However, he is the third-fastest batter to reach the 1,500-run mark in terms of innings. The fastest batters to reach this landmark are Indian batter Virat Kohli, KL Rahul, Australian veteran Aaron Finch and Pakistan skipper Babar Azam, who all took 39 innings to score 1,500 runs in T20 International cricket. Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter Mohammed Rizwan reached the milestone in 42 innings and Suryakumar did so in 43 innings.
18. KKCL replaces MPL as Indian cricket team’s official sponsor
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has found a replacement for one of the two jersey sponsors of Team India.
- The cricket body has signed Kewal Kiran Clothing, the maker of Killer Jeans, as the official partner of the Indian cricket team for five months (until May 31, 2023).
- Kewal Kiran Clothing, which also owns brands such as Lawman and Integriti, replaces gaming firm MPL. Under this deal, the flagship brand (Killer) is on display on the right upper chest of the Team India jersey.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- BCCI President: Roger Binny;
- BCCI Headquarters: Mumbai;
- BCCI Founded: December 1928.
Science and Technology News
19. Space Kidz India satellite made by 750 school Girls to be launched by ISRO
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) launch vehicle will carry a satellite built by 750 girls attending government schools across the nation, according to Space Kidz India, a Chennai-based space tech business.
- Skyroot Aerospace’s Vikram-S launch vehicle carried Space Kidz’s payloads, as the first Indian private rocket to launch into orbit last year,
- The AzaadiSAT satellite has a target launch date of January 16, however this date may vary for a variety of reasons.
20. Arjun Ram Meghwal, MoS for Culture inaugurates Astro Tourism
- The National Council of Science Museums hosted Astro Tourism – A Sky Gazing event at Delhi’s India Gate in collaboration with the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library. Arjun Ram Meghwal, minister of state for culture, gave the event’s opening remarks.
- The Astro Tourism event features a variety of activities including Astro Talks by experienced astronomers, an Astronomy Exhibition, Storytelling about celestial objects, a Telescope Experience to View the Moon’s Craters, Astronomy Activities, a Photographic Panel Exhibition, and Astro-Photography.
- Children of all ages will benefit greatly from this three-day programme in terms of learning.
Ranks and Reports News
21. Delhi Most Polluted City in India in 2022, Report says
- Delhi was the most polluted city in India in 2022 with PM 2.5 levels more than double the safe limit and the third highest average PM10 concentration, according to an analysis of Central Pollution Control Board data.
- PM2.5 pollution in the national capital has reduced by over 7 per cent in four years, from 108 micrograms per cubic metre in 2019 to 99.71 micrograms per cubic metre in 2022.
- Among the most polluted cities with respect to PM2.5 levels, Delhi (99.71 micrograms per cubic metre) ranked first, Haryana’s Faridabad (95.64 micrograms per cubic metre) ranked second and Uttar Pradesh’s Ghaziabad (91.25 micrograms per cubic metre) third.
22. National Human Trafficking Awareness Day 2023 observed on 11th January
- The National Human Trafficking Awareness Day is observed every year in the United States on 11th January. The day is dedicated to raising awareness about human trafficking.
- Even though the entire month of January has been recognised as the National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month, January 11 specifically aims towards the prevention of illegal practices. Since the US Senate established this day of observance in 2007, it has drawn massive public support from individuals as well as government-organised events.
- In 2000, the Trafficking Victims Protection Act addressed modern-day slavery and was also the first federal law to do so. It was in 2007 when the United States Senate ratified the resolution establishing January 11 as National Human Trafficking Awareness Day.
- Later, in 2010, President Barack Obama dedicated the entire month of January to awareness and prevention of human trafficking. Currently, there are over 50 established organisations that are working towards combating the illegal practice.