Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of the important news that held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about the banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update of 17 January 2020 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
States Current Affairs
1. Chief Minister Vijay Rupani launched the 7th Economic Census process
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has launched the 7th Economic Census process in the state. Economic Census process is carried out by Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation with the help of Common Service Centres. It will continue till 30th June 2020. The entire data will be compiled on 30th September 2020. The data of this Economic Census will be classified into the village, taluka and district-wise to be developed into a National Business Register.
2. Arunachal Pradesh signs a MoU with IUCN
Arunachal Pradesh signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) to red-listing of orchids. Now Arunachal Pradesh has become the 1st state in the country to initiate the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) ‘red listing’ at the state level.
3. Lt Col Yuvraj Malik appointed as the Director of the National Book Trust
Lt Col Yuvraj Malik has been appointed the Director of the National Book Trust (NBT) on deputation from the Indian Army. He replaced Sahitya Akademi-awardee writer Rita Chowdhury. National Book Trust (NBT) works under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
4. Indian Railways’ SCR zone signs MoU with SBI
The South Central Zone of the Indian Railways has signed an MoU with the State Bank of India. According to the MoU, the doorstep banking facility will be provided at 585 Railway Stations of the South Central Zone. The “doorstep banking” facility will enable direct pickup of earnings from the railway stations and will save the complex activity of cash movement through cash safes by trains.
5. IIM-Indore signs MoU with TikTok provides short video modules
The Indian Institute of Management, Indore has signed an MoU with the video sharing platform “TikTok”. The MoU will facilitate the production of short video modules for students and trained professionals.
6. World Bank & GoI signs MoU for loan of Assam Inland Water Transport Project
World Bank & GoI signs MoU for loan of $88 million of Assam Inland Water Transport Project. The loan agreement seeks to modernize the Assam’s passenger ferry sector by improving the infrastructure and its services. The government ferries are operated by the Assam Shipping Company (ASC) while the terminals and terminal services are provided by the Assam Ports Company (APC) in the state of Assam. The $88 million agreement will provide technically better designed terminals and energy-efficient vessels to make the ferry services more efficient, modern and safe mode of river transport system.
Ranks & Reports
7. Henley Passport Index 2020
Henley Passport Index 2020 has been released. The ranking report is based on data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
Key findings of the Index
- The list was topped by Japan. Japan has been topping the Index for three years continuously. Japan can access now 191 countries.
- Japan was now followed by Singapore, Germany, and South Korea.
- The Indian passport ranked 84th, along with Tajikistan and Mauritania.
- Afghanistan (107) was among the world’s worst passports.
- The top 10 most powerful passports for 2020 are Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Germany, Italy, Finland, Spain, USA and UK, Luxembourg, Denmark.
8. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh flags off 51st K9 VAJRA-T gun
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh flagged off 51st K9 VAJRA-T Gun from Larsen & Toubro (L&T) Armoured System Complex at Hazira in Gujarat.The gun weighs 50 tonnes and can fire 47-kilogram bombs at targets up to a distance of 43 kilometres.
Summits and Conferences
9. India to host SCO heads of govt meeting later this year
India to host the 19th Edition of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Council of Heads of Government meeting 2020.The meeting is held annually at the Prime Minister’s level.
10. Acclaimed Sindhi writer Vasdev Mohi will be honoured with 29th Saraswati Samman.
Acclaimed Sindhi poet and writer Vasdev Mohi has been selected for the prestigious Saraswati Samman. He has been selected for his short stories collection:- Chequebook, published in 2012. He has also received the Sahitya Akademi Award.
11. Indian scientist Sakya Singha Sen awarded “Merck Young Scientist Award 2019
Indian scientist Sakya Singha Sen from National Chemical Laboratory (CSIR-NCL) Pune, has been awarded “Merck Young Scientist Award 2019” for doing remarkable research in chemical science. This award is instituted by Merck, a science and technology company operating worldwide. Sen and his research team specializes in main group chemistry and involves in the synthesis of compounds with main group element and their catalytic application.
12. 1st edition of Krishi Manthan hosted begins in Gujarat
1st edition of Krishi Manthan– the largest Food, Agri-business and Rural Development Summit of Asia begins in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. This summit is organized by Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. It is an exclusive platform for industry, academia, and policymakers to share ideas, knowledge, and expertise to create solutions.
Watch Current Affairs Headlines-
All the Best BA’ians for IBPS Clerk Mains 2019!