Daily GK updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for banking or other competitive exams. Daily GK Update is the complete bag of important news that is held all day long. One should have complete knowledge about banking terms, current affairs news, etc. So, here is the GK update for 17th September 2022 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt Current Affairs Quiz.
Here is the Daily GK Update of the 17th of September 2022 covering the following news headlines: World Patient Safety Day, Federal Bank, Global Crypto Adoption Index, Election Commission of India, Raktdaan Amrit Mahotsav, African cheetahs.
Top 15 Daily GK Updates: National & International News
Here is providing below the top 15 important Daily General Knowledge 2022 updates with national & international news.
1. India To Be Home to Cheetahs After 70 Years
- Eight African cheetahs are all set to move from Namibia into their new habitat at the Kuno National Park in Madhya Pradesh, on September 17, on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s birthday.
- The PM is expected to release the five female and three male cheetahs into the Park’s quarantine enclosures on Friday as part of his efforts to revitalise and diversify the country’s wildlife and habitat, his office has said. The last cheetah in India died in 1947 in the Korea district in present-day Chhattisgarh, which was an earlier part of Madhya Pradesh, and the species was declared extinct from India in 1952.
- According to reports, the cheetah has lost 90 per cent of its global habitat in the last 100 years. In addition, in many of the 31 populations of the cheetah, only 100-200 are left with their habitat consistently deteriorating.
- The ‘African Cheetah Introduction Project in India‘ was conceived in 2009, with a plan to introduce the big cat by November last year in Kuno National Park, but it suffered a setback due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
2. Health Minister Dr Mansukh Mandaviya launched Raktdaan Amrit Mahotsav
- Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya launched a 15-day blood donation drive on the occasion of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s birthday. The blood donation drive is known as ‘Raktdaan Amrit Mahotsav’ which will continue till 1st October 2022 which is National Voluntary Blood Donation Day.
- Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya urges people to take part in the blood donation drive and donate blood to save lives. The citizens can register themselves on Aarogya Setu App or e-Raktkosh portal to donate blood as part of the ‘Raktdaan Amrit Mahotsav’.
3. Election Commission of India launched BLO e-Patrika
- The Election Commission of India has released a new digital publication ‘BLO e-Patrika’ at an interactive session held with BLOs spread across the states in India.
- In states/UTs, 50 BLOs from nearby states of Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, and Delhi joined the event physically at India Habitat Centre in New Delhi. Over 350 BLOs joined the meeting via video-conferencing from the office of Chief Electoral Officers (CEO).
- The BLOs participated in the infective session with the Commission sharing their experience, challenges they came across while performing their duties, and success stories. It was first-of-its-kind direct interaction by the Commission with the BLOs across the country.
4. 25-year-old climate activist Vanessa Nakate appointed as UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador
- United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) appointed Vanessa Nakate, a 25-year-old climate activist from Uganda as the Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF). Her collaboration with the organisation and recognising her outstanding global advocacy for climate justice for current and future generations.
- Globally half the world’s 2.2 billion children live in one of the 33 countries, classified by UNICEF’s Children’s Climate Risk Index as “extremely highrisk” of the impacts of climate change. According to UNICEF, the top 10 countries are all in Africa.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- UNICEF Founded: 1946;
- UNICEF Headquarters: New York City, USA;
- UNICEF Director General: Catherine M. Russell;
- UNICEF Membership: 192.
5. Kyrgyzstan Reports Heavy Fighting With Tajikistan
- Kyrgyzstan reported “intense battles” with Central Asian neighbour Tajikistan and said 24 people had been killed in the latest outbreak of violence to hit the former Soviet Union. Both of the small impoverished landlocked nations have accused each other of restarting fighting in a disputed area, despite a ceasefire deal.
- In a statement, the Kyrgyz border service said its forces were continuing to repel Tajik attacks. Kyrgyzstan reported fighting in its southern Batken province which borders Tajikistan’s northern Sughd region and features a Tajik exclave, Vorukh.
- The same area is famous for its jigsaw-puzzle political and ethnic geography and became the site of similar hostilities last year, also nearly leading to a war. Clashes over the poorly demarcated border are frequent, but usually de-escalate quickly.
6. Joao Lourenco Re-elected as President of Angola
- The National Electoral Commission announced Joao Lourenco as the President with 51% of the votes. President Joao Lourenco is a member of the Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA), and he was re-elected as the President of Angola.
- The election results extended the hegemony of the MPLA, which is the only party that has governed Angola since its Independence from Portugal in 1975.
- The MLA obtained over 3.16 million votes, which would allow it to have 124 out of 200 seats in the National Assembly.
7. India Ratings Cuts FY23 GDP Growth Forecast to 6.9%
- India Ratings became the latest agency to cut its FY23 gross domestic product forecast. The ratings agency cut the forecast to 6.9 per cent from 7 per cent, joining other institutions who have cut their projections to below 7 per cent since the release of the April-June quarter GDP data.
- The agency did say that India’s biggest strength continues to be domestic economic activity, which has shown more resilience compared to the rest of the world. It said that it expects the growth momentum to sustain, averaging around mid-single digit in the remaining quarters, mainly buoyed by the upcoming festival season.
8. Air India Unveiled Transformation Plan Vihaan.AI
- Air India, a Tata group-owned airline, unveiled a comprehensive Vihaan.AI to establish itself as a world-class global airline of Indian origin.
- The plan aims to focus on growing both its network and fleet, revamping its customer’s proposition, enhancing reliability and on-time performance, taking a leadership role in technology, sustainability, and innovation, and investing in the best talent in the airline industry.
- In the coming five years, Air India will strive to increase its market share to at least 30% in the domestic market.
- It aims to grow significantly in the international routes from the present market share.
- The immediate focus of the airline is to fix the basics and readying itself for growth.
Ranks and Reports News
9. India Stands 4th in Global Crypto Adoption Index 2022
- Blockchain analysis platform Chainalysis published its global crypto adoption index for 2022 of nations with the highest cryptocurrency adoption rate with India ranking fourth in the list, two spots down from last year.
- Chainalysis report noted that the emerging markets dominate the Global Crypto Adoption Index this year. The report noted, “Out of our top 20 ranked countries, 10 are lower-middle income: Vietnam, Philippines, Ukraine, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Morocco, Nepal, Kenya, and Indonesia. Eight are upper-middle income: Brazil, Thailand, Russia, China, Turkey, Argentina, Colombia, and Ecuador.”
10. Federal Bank ranked 63rd in Best Workplaces in Asia 2022
- Federal Bank was ranked 63rd on the Best Workplaces in Asia 2022 and becomes the only bank in India to be listed by Great Place to Work, the global authority on workplace culture.
- The list is based on over one million survey responses across Asia and West Asia, representing the experience of over 4.7 million employees in the region.
- Federal Bank Limited is an Indian private sector bank headquartered in Aluva, Kochi. The bank has 1,272 branches spread across different states in India. It also has representative offices abroad in Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, and Dubai.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Federal Bank Limited Headquarters: Aluva, Kerala;
- Federal Bank Limited CEO: Shyam Srinivasan;
- Federal Bank Limited Founder: K.P Hormis;
- Federal Bank Limited Founded: 23 April 1931, Nedumpuram.
11. Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park in Darjeeling recognised as best zoo
- The Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park (PNHZP) in West Bengal’s Darjeeling has been adjudged the best zoo in the country, while Kolkata’s Alipore Zoological Garden has secured the fourth position.
- There are around 150 zoos across the country. As per the list, the Arignar Anna Zoological Park in Chennai has secured the second position, followed by the Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens in Mysore, Karnataka.
- The zoological park is internationally recognised for its breeding and conservation programmes of endangered animal species of the eastern Himalayas, including the Snow Leopard and the Red Panda. The Red Panda is one of the top attractions of PNHZP, besides others such as the Himalayan Black Bear, Snow Leopard, Goral and Himalayan Thar.
12. 15-year-old Pranav Anand becomes India’s 76th Chess Grandmaster
- 15-year-old, Pranav Anand from Bengaluru, Karnataka became India’s 76th Chess GrandMaster (GM) after winning against International Master (IM) Emin Ohanyan of Armenia.
- He received the title after he crossed the 2,500 Elo points in the ongoing World Youth Chess Championship in Mamaia, Romania. A month before Pranav Anand became India’s 76th GM, Pranav Venkatesh became India’s 75th Grandmaster.
- In order to qualify for the GM title, a player must secure 3 GM norms covering 27 games and cross the live rating of 2,500 Elo points. Pranav Anand needs to cross the live rating of 2,500 which he did in the penultimate round of the World Youth Under16 Open 2022.
13. World Patient Safety Day observed on 17 September
- World Patient Safety Day is observed every year on 17 September to create awareness about different safety measures that should be taken to ensure patient safety. The day focuses on preventing and reducing risks, errors, and harm that patients face.
- In modern society, it is important to understand the implications of negligent patient care and work toward modern standards regarding patient care.
- Every year, World Patient Safety Day is observed under a specific theme. This year, the theme of World Patient Safety Day 2022 is ‘Medication Safety’ along with the slogan ‘Medication Without Harm’ with a call to action to ‘Know, Check & Ask’.
14. Former Tennis Legend captain Naresh Kumar passes away
- Former Indian tennis player and Davis Cup captain, Naresh Kumar passed away recently at the age of 93. He was born on December 22, 1928, in Lahore, Naresh Kumar went on to become a big name in Indian tennis after Independence.
- He made news by reaching the final of the Northern Championships (later known as Manchester Open) in England in 1949.
15. Delhi Police First Force to Make Collection of Forensic Evidence Mandatory
- Delhi Police has become the first police force in India to make a collection of forensic evidence mandatory in crimes punishable by more than six years.
- Delhi is a union territory and is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Home Affairs. Delhi Police Commissioner Sanjay Arora issued a ‘Standard Order’, to all the police units.
- The order came into force after Home Minister Amit Shah pushed at Zonal Council Meeting.
- In the Zonal Council Meeting, Mr. Amit Shah informed that the government was going to overhaul the British-era Indian penal code.
- The changes in making the collection of forensic evidence compulsory in criminal cases punishable was one of the initial steps.
- Home Minister Amit Shah emphasized the fact that custodial torture has roots in colonial India, however, the conviction of a criminal can be achieved based on forensic evidence.
- The Delhi police order also suggests that the force has its own ‘mobile crime team van’, in each district.
- The forensic Mobil van will be allotted to each district to provide scientific and forensic assistance on the spot.
17th September | Current Affairs 2022 | Current Affairs Today | Current Affairs by Ashish Gautam
All the Best BA’ians for the Bank exam!